1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£1500-2000 to spend on a projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ShinObiWAN, Jul 8, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Having just sold my beloved Barco 808 CRT, I did have a Sony HS20 on order. However it appears that the place I ordered it from does not have any stock.

So before re-ordering it at discount Electrical, which do have stock BTW for anyone interested, I thought I'd check that there isn't anything better for under my very strict budget of £2000 maximum.

The ones that I've dismissed so far are:

Infocus X1
    Sanyo Z2
    Panasonic AE500

These have gone because A. The Sony HS20 was better and B. I suffered from rainbows with the X1.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I doubt that you'd be disappointed by the HS20. A DLP projector with 1280*720 res is above the budget you've set - the Benq PE7800 is 1024x576 using a Matterhorn chip - I haven't seen one or read much about it's performance but it comes in just under £2000 from Nexnix. I have no idea what the wheel speed is like or how it performs as regards rainbows, but if you're "rainbow prone", I think your choice of the HS20 is probably the best. With appropriate filter (CC40R - do a search here for info on peoples experience with the HS10) and a little work calibrating you'll be fine.

Sean.

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ritz,

I'm going to go with my original choice, I liked what I saw with the demo I had, especially the PC gaming side of things. Don't fancy the relatively low resolution Matterhorn projectors and the Mustangs are out of my price range.

I always rarely played PC games on the Barco because of the risk of screen burn but there's no such problem with LCD or DLP.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    NP............. I don't play games on my PC but PS2 and GameCube look deadly on the big screen............ lots of fun for daughters (and friends..) as well as me ;)

Sean.

5. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Themescene H56 - £1895

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The H56 is 1024x768 (XGA) 4:3, 1024x576 in 16:9 mode, same as the Matterhorns ? Also £1825 here, haven't searched any further than the first result from Google............

Sean G.

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    shinobiwan

discount electrical now do optoma pjs and may have the H56 and H30 in stock for demo.

CL

8. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    shinobiwan,
    I'd be interested to know why you thought the H20 was better than the Ae500 as this 4way review put it below the Hitachi and Panny???

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...toren/LCD-Vergleich/LCDVergleich.htm&lp=de_en

I appreciate that everyone has their differing opinions and hence wondered if you had come to this conclusion on a personal side-by-side comparison ?

Would help me as so far I'm totally confused as to which out of the Ae500, H20 or Tx-100 to get seeing as I can't get a demo for love nor money and have been trying to decide based on forum feedback :)

Thanks,
    Neil

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not trying to answer for ShinObiWAN, but having the possibility of upgrading in mind here's my current thinking.

I'm be wary of either the Z2, AE500 Hitachi or TW200 - they all use the same Epson D4 LCD panels which have a known Vertical Banding issue - Epsons own TW200 has a menu adjustment to reduce VB, and afaik (not totally sure..) there's a service menu adjustment for the Z2, but it's colour performance out of the box (and the difficulty (or impossibility) of calibrating it appropriately) would put me off - see Buns thread(s) about this issue from earlier this year. The reported colour performance of the Hitachi (see Cine4home's tests (linked to via babelfish) elsewhere on the Forum) is extremely impressive.

The HS20 doesn't have this (VB) issue and has a higher resolution. I don't doubt Cine4home's findings, but I would have to see (for instance) the hitachi in action before making a judgement on whether any LCD artifacts (VB, Fixed Panel Noise) were at a level that were (for me) out-weighed by any other advantages. There is a marked price advantage to the Hitachi which is also a factor to be weighed in the balance, but for me an artifact-free image is a far the higher priority. Accordingly, a HS20 or a further wait for an appropriately priced DLP (with a decent wheel speed) would be on my upgrade path - but I'm expressing a purely personal preference..................

Sean.