£150 extra for full HD - Worth it?

adbrad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking at getting my first ever HD TV. I would like to spend as little as possible but want decent quality, I've had my eye on the samsung LE32b450 for £330 on play.

I would like to know whether i should spend an extra £150 and get the samsung le32b550, the only significant difference that I can see being full HD.

I will be using the tele for ps3 and bluray mainly. £150 is quite alot of money for me (student...should be saving...blah blah blah). But if you think it will be worth it who am I to argue :rotfl:

As a sidenote anyone have any idea if there is a price drop in line for either of the above - especially the le32b550. That might just sway it!!

Any help appreciated

Thanks
adam:thumbsup:

At 32" unless you sit a foot from the screen you won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p..... I'd keep the £150 :smashin:

Thanks

Im going to say something really stupid now:

How come there is such a difference between standard def 576p (i think) and 720p. But there is little difference between 720p and 1080p.

Im just trying to get it in my head:smashin:

PS: I would stay well away from series 4 32" Samsung LCDs, because the chances of getting a high-quality panel is slim. Also, we don't know the type of video processor it uses.

Try and get hold of a Panasonic X10 if you can

Last edited:
I didn't think there were any series 7 32" Samsung LCDs :confused:

no there isn't

It was a typo ^-^

Is there a quality control issue with Series 4 then?

The B5s do have video playback via USB - a great feature for me.:smashin:

The Panasonic X10 is in a higher price bracket - one would expect it to be better. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say it was worth an extra £150 at that screen size and price point. Definitely go with the 4 series or an LG 32LH2000 as someone was just mentioning in another thread.

640 x 480 (Game Resolution) = 307,200 Pixels
720 x 480 = 345,600
720 x 576 = 414,720
1280 x 720 = 921,600
1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600

You have to factor in viewing distance and panel size. If you'll be sitting closer to the screen, the different between 720p on a 768p and 1080p panel will be become highly obvious

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...y-1080p-panel-better-720p-content-source.html

Thanks for clearing that up :thumbsup: i feel rather stupid now:oops:

I didn't know that about the 5 series so thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the x10 is quite a bit out my price range:( (actually the b550 is). I've just noticed as well on play.com that the b450 has gone up by 100 quid.:mad: Boooooo to play.

Thanks as well for the guide, i downloaded it a few weeks ago and will read it before i make my mind up.

I didn't know that about the 5 series so thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the x10 is quite a bit out my price range:( (actually the b550 is). I've just noticed as well on play.com that the b450 has gone up by 100 quid.:mad: Boooooo to play.

Thanks as well for the guide, i downloaded it a few weeks ago and will read it before i make my mind up.

John Lewis have the 32" B450 for £349 delivered including a 5 year warrenty.

Buy Samsung LE32B450C4W LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch online at JohnLewis.com

It's a much better deal than on play.com, and you can always return it if you decide you don't like it.

nice deal on the samsung might have to get myself 1 :)

Thanks

Im going to say something really stupid now:

How come there is such a difference between standard def 576p (i think) and 720p. But there is little difference between 720p and 1080p.

Im just trying to get it in my head:smashin:

Standard definition in Europe is actually 525i. While 576 lines are transmitted top and bottom carry non picture area and should be displayed.

USA SD is only 480i.

My view is that 1080P is much better than WXGA models for a number of reasons:
1) Better resolution itself, you can get closer to it.
2) No scaling for Blu-ray or 1080i/1080p content.
3) For PC use much better, bigger display area. 32" FHD makes a great desktop monitor at slightly longer distances than a normal monitor.

Now for 32" reasons 1 and 2 are less critical but depending on the size and layout of your student accommodation you might benefit.

Whether its worth the cost is up to you, it is to me but I am no longer a student with fees and loans to worry about.

Standard definition in Europe is actually 525i. While 576 lines are transmitted top and bottom carry non picture area and should be displayed.

You've made a typo

It's 625 lines

John Lewis have the 32" B450 for £349 delivered including a 5 year warrenty.

Buy Samsung LE32B450C4W LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch online at JohnLewis.com

It's a much better deal than on play.com, and you can always return it if you decide you don't like it.

Thanks, it's a good deal especially with the warrenty. It just surprised me that play.com would just add a hundred quid like that.

I do like the le32b450 but am a bit worried with what was mentioned earlier about the screen quality on the series 4. I think i'll have to do a bit more research.

I also noticed a 32" samsung in tesco for £399, i think (not very sure) it was the le32b530. But i can't find much info or any reviews.

USA SD is only 480i.

My view is that 1080P is much better than WXGA models for a number of reasons:
1) Better resolution itself, you can get closer to it.
2) No scaling for Blu-ray or 1080i/1080p content.
3) For PC use much better, bigger display area. 32" FHD makes a great desktop monitor at slightly longer distances than a normal monitor.

Now for 32" reasons 1 and 2 are less critical but depending on the size and layout of your student accommodation you might benefit.

Whether its worth the cost is up to you, it is to me but I am no longer a student with fees and loans to worry about.

Thanks, that's realy helpfull. I would like the idea of having the option of sitting closer to the screen, and I would like to get as much out of blu-ray as possible. I hadn't thought about the using it as a PC monitor, but that could be very handy with my laptop, I'll definately keep that in mind.:smashin:

The cost is quite a bit more, I keep thinking if i'm going to spend this much, i might as well spend abit more and get somthing better. Which is a slippery slope :rolleyes: i'll end up with a tv costing more than my degree:devil:

I also noticed a 32" samsung in tesco for £399, i think (not very sure) it was the le32b530. But i can't find much info or any reviews.

I believe it's the same as a B550 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Sadly out of stock at Tesco (unless you've seen one in-store).

I saw one of these (B530) in RS and it said the set was 100Hz. That was the 37" version but it's not on their website.

I believe it's the same as a B550 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Sadly out of stock at Tesco (unless you've seen one in-store).

Yeah saw one in store. Is it exactly the same as the B550?

I think the offer ends on the 16th, but i woudn't hang around, i should think they'll go quick:smashin:

just incase you haven't noticed, play have changed it back to the original price

Thanks

:eek: We must be on the same wave length, i just this minute had a look and found that it had been changed. :hiya:

Bought it today. A bit disappointed that it doesn't have any USB inputs to play media files, but it's still a pretty good deal I reckon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom