£150 budget, clarity and bass speakers.

Rjones999

Standard Member
Hi,

My budget is £150 for a set of 2.1 or 2.0 speakers.

I've previously owned Acoustic Energy Aego M's and also the Audioengine 2's. Both which were wonderful.
Audioengine 2 had great quality and richness of sound, with bass when needed, and the Aego M's had great bass that was adustable, and had a powerful volume on them.

Is there anything in between these models that I could pick up? I've seen the AE A2+'s and the new Aego's, but it's mainly going to be in my bedroom, and likely to fill up the whole house.

For music likely to be played - Hiphop, electronic, Rnb, Funk, Soul, Jazz

Any suggestions?

Dankeech

You could go for a 2nd hand set of Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo Three's, floorstanders and still have change I'm sure. Had a set and they did me very well til I moved onto Monitor Audio.
Do you already have an amplifier? If not, you'll need to factor that in too, but a 2nd hand Arcam amplifier could also be bought within budget I reckon.
Wow, there's a set on Ebay for £350!!, ridiculous. I paid £230 I think 10 years ago for my pair brand new. I'd imaging anything over £100 for a pair to be expensive.

Hope that helps, of course there are many other options, but for the music you're suggesting they'd be pretty decent.

slim01

I am also looking for something VERY similar to this,will be watching here. If you like the AEs there seem to be loads of AE 109's for around £150

Rjones999

Standard Member
Thanks for the suggestions and replies.
I've had a look and now realise I'd also prefer to have bookshelf speakers, as opposed to floor standing.

Audioengine 5's may be the way to go.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If you are looking for big speakers, then at least consider the YAMAHA NSF51 floorstanding -

YAMAHA NSF51 Black Speakers Per Pair

I didn't see any video of these on YouTube, but I did see the NSF50 which look very similar.

Though over your budget, you probably won't do better than this for the price -

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers & SW150 Subwoofer 2.1 Speaker Package - Superfi

The problem is, a good Sub costs over £200, then add speakers, and your budget is very difficult to achieve.

Can you tell us how and where, what source, you intend to use with these speakers? If this is a computer based system, you might consider the Corsair SP2500 system.

Corsair SP2500 Gaming Speakers Audio System 2.1 with Sub Woofer 232W RMA

The above Yamaha and Wharfedale will require that you have some type of amp to go with them.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Rjones999

Standard Member
If you are looking for big speakers, then at least consider the YAMAHA NSF51 floorstanding -

YAMAHA NSF51 Black Speakers Per Pair

I didn't see any video of these on YouTube, but I did see the NSF50 which look very similar.

Though over your budget, you probably won't do better than this for the price -

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers & SW150 Subwoofer 2.1 Speaker Package - Superfi

The problem is, a good Sub costs over £200, then add speakers, and your budget is very difficult to achieve.

Can you tell us how and where, what source, you intend to use with these speakers? If this is a computer based system, you might consider the Corsair SP2500 system.

Corsair SP2500 Gaming Speakers Audio System 2.1 with Sub Woofer 232W RMA

The above Yamaha and Wharfedale will require that you have some type of amp to go with them.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve,

The source is going to be my macbook pro 2011, and a Cowon J3 Audio player, with majority FLAC and 320kbs mp3 files.

From what you've said, a 2.1 system may be difficult to achieve for my budget, and it may be wiser to go for a 2.0 system, with ideally bookshelf sized speakers, with a max height of each at around 60cm.

The wharfdale, though out of my range looks like it could be a good investment, and something that is likely to last awhile. I'll have a good look into this one and see how it comes out.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Keep in mind you asked for speakers, but you didn't mention an amp. So, I gave you passive speakers.

For a computer, perhaps Active Speakers or Studio Monitors might be a better choice. Though I personally prefer to have a Stereo system.

If you have an amp, then you can consider the speakers I mentioned. If you don't have an amp, and this is for a computer system, then perhaps something like the Corsair Gaming system linked above is a better choice.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom