1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£1400 - Do I buy a Philips 32PF9986 at this price??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by scoticus07, Jul 11, 2005.

1. scoticus07

scoticus07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been shopping around and have looked at quite a few 32" LCDs.

I keep coming back to two

Philip 32PF9986 & the Sony 32MRX1 ( floating glass thingy)

Sony is far too expensive for what it is.

So only other alternative I see at the mo is the Toshiba 32WL48

Can someone advise me on the Pros and Cons of the Philips?

I have been offered one brand new for £1400

What is the Buzzing that I have read about with the contrast and ambi-light, is this a big issue with these TV's?
    I have seen a TV in the shop and the picture sharpness is unbelievably good, almost TOO GOOD, as the picture reminds me of a comparison between a digi cam picture and an ordinary camera, the digi cam image is crystal clear and sharp but people can sometimes look false (as though they are pasted on) where ordinary cameras possess a certain depth but lack in sharpness.

Does anyone know what I am on about...?
    Can this be controlled or tweaked and is it also something I have to get used as I have been watching a far inferior picture on my TV for far too long I guess.....

anyway comments and Pros and Cons for the Philips please @ £1400 it seems very good value...

plus alternative suggestions that compare well to the Philips would be much appreciated as quickly as possible please as I am imminently about to buy.

as is often said you can deliberate these things for ever and ever but eventually you have to make an informed decision.

Any IMMEDIATE direct advice would be more than welcome to scoticus07@yahoo.com

Many MANY Thanks!

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are thousands of posts on this forum about the 9986. Do a search. But, to save you time....

BUY IT!!!

Arguably still the best LCD currently available and at £1400 you should be breaking down their door!!!

Jimmy

3. scoticus07

scoticus07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Jim, but I am a deliberator...

What about the issues I mentioned, humming, picture looking unnatural?

I have read a lot of the threads and the thing that would drive me mad would be the humming is this a real issue?

The Tosh 32WL48 looked pretty good, obviously not as capable but also not as expensive....

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK,

I, too, am a research nut, and spent over two months testing assorted LCD's before plumping for the 9986. I researched this to rediculous, anorak, levels and the 9986 was the clear winner....

There was an outbreak of buzzing 9986's a few months ago, but I've not heard of that many compared to the numbers sold. If the one you are getting is Ex-Display then give it a go before you buy it! They all buzz a little. Every single LCD does.

PQ is usually set up in the shop on a retail setting that has an appallingly harsh picture. You can adjust the picture to whatever way you like it. I have mine set quite soft and natural.

Let me repeat, if you can get a 9986 at £1400 don't deliberate too long or somebody else will have nobbled it.

There is no comparison between the 9986 and the Tosh....or anything else really. (The new Panny 500 is getting good reviews...No Ambilight though!!!)

BUY IT!!!!

Jimmy

5. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Buy it!

6. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also think that's a good price for 9986. If you liked the picture quality, then go for it.
    However, with a bit smaller price, I selected Hitachi 32LD7200. The picture quality is great. There has been a very good feedback from the users and also the reviewers. I've been very happy with the picture quality with good sources (DVD through HDMI) and ALSO with less than perfect sources (like aerial). The build quality and the menus and settings are also impressive. Well, it does not have anything like Ambilight (hmmm, motorized base instead? :rotfl: ) but it has something that in my eye is a big plus: 1 HDMI input and 1 DVI both with HDCP (besides 6 others: 3 scart, 1 VGA, 1 Component, 1 S-video). In near future, this will let you switch between two digital, HD sources. For all other sets, you'll need to buy an external switch box that I think is awkward.

7. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd second that one. Have had my 32LD7200 since monday, and I'm loving it more each day. Superb price, with no real comprimises.

For £1280, I got it delivered, with a three year warranty, and a free portable DVD player. Can't argue with that now can you? :thumbsup:

Ben

8. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9986 is great in terms of PQ and so on, just be aware that if you are connecting it to a computer you CAN NOT get 1:1 pixels that fill the screen. you will have a 2-3cm boarder around the whole edge of the screen.

for that price however, maybe even I would buy it again knowing about the resolution issue.

9. MancNJB

MancNJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on whether you really want the Philips, IMHO. I can't really comment on the 32" screens as I haven't looked at them, but if the 40" Samsung is anything to go by, I wouldn't pay the £500 difference between the Philips and Samsung 32" screens (although there may be other options in-between). You could even be looking at larger screens at around £1400 if that was of interest.

If you want it, go for it - but if you've got the opportunity to check them out first, I think you owe it to yourself.

As for your specific Philips comments - Ambilight is an interesting feature that could be good in theory (haven't got any experience) and is well appreciated in the press. The image sharpness is probably down to a combination of sharpness settings and Pixel Plus, which you should be able to tone down / turn off. Although it's also something you would probably get used to.

12. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9986 was the reference till other brands started to get the same picture quality, with a bit better blacks and better movement imho, check out the cheaper samsung, jvc and hitachi screens, they'll give you the same quality of picture with better connections...

13. scoticus07

scoticus07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim

cheers, bought it today, coming on Monday,

any advice on set up

good SCARTS to buy at a decent price - where & how much etc

a good DVD player to go with it?

Any other tips recommendations?

Ta
    Scott

14. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good Man!

Check here for setup.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182709

And here for cables.
    www.tvcables.co.uk

These guys do superb Scarts at seriously low prices! (£5.99)You'll most likely need 3.

DVD player? Do you want a home cinema system? Definitely recommended with a screen of this quality. I have a Denon DHT500SD which continually blows my mind. £399.

I've avoided digital DVD players at the moment as they are really a bit of a non starter for me. I'll pitch in with a new DVD player when HD DVD gets going properly.

Get the TV, set it up and keep asking those questions....

Jimmy

15. scoticus07

scoticus07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmy

Any suggestions on which brand of SCART to use, its worth the extra as long as it performs in the long run although I recognise more expensive scarts doesn;t always mean better pic.

You said I need 3 SCARTS - the same type ?

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I got these ones, and I'll be damned if the picture could be any better with some of those rediculous £50 rip off items.
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SC001.html
    Gold connections, cast metal bodies and startling quality for the price. Dearer ones may be better actually, but I can't imagine how!

Jimmy