1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£135 for a replacement Megane door key!!

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by electrolyte, Mar 21, 2005.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    My wife has lost a set a set of keys today that include a key to our Megane. We have a spare key thankfully so can still use the car. Thought it would be a good idea to get a spare from a Renault dealer. Rang my local dealer and they have quoted me a price of £135!! :eek: :mad:

All the key is a bit of metal with a big black button and bit of electronics inside and they want £135!

I guess they want to put off people buying keys for cars they don't own but surely if I can prove that I own the car this shouldn't be a problem and it shouldn't cost that much.

Anyone else had this problem with extortionate prices for a car key?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    That seems to be about the going rate unfortunately.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    what about immobilisers?

My one works, just the plastic bit is knackered so it wont sit on my keyring. Can you just buy the housing for them from anywhere?

How much are they? I have a honda civic.

4. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I'm obviously in the wrong line of business, the dealer is making a killing...

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sell the Megane and buy a good car. :D

6. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Yeah, you're right, the key might be worth more than the car :rotfl:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    last year I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and one of the attractive things about it was the electric memory seats and mirrors. It may not make much difference to some people but my wife is nearly a foot shorter than me so when she drives my car there is much faffing about with seats and mirrors so to automate the whole thing with one press of a button sounded ideal.

Each of the two memory positions are geared to the individual key and the seats and mirrors move into the position relative to the key that opened the door.

Unfortunately we were only given one key as the other had been long lost and we were quoted an equally ridiculous price for a second key so we didn't bother with it. This meant that if my wife took the Jeep shopping she would have to adjust all of the seats and mirrors when she set off and yet again when she unlocked the car to drive back again.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Your lucky it wasn't for a Fiat. I understand the final bill amounts to around £700 (includes an new ECU and the reprograming of it,the key and immobiliser).

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ha I had no idea of the actual prices. I have done 2 weeks work experience in a garage last summer and had some jobs regarding lost keys. I dont know what the final cost for them was but they were Saab cars so probably quite expensive. Anyway, it takes less than 5 mins to program a key and less that 20 to do the car so that really is a bit OTT!

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    That sounds pretty cool, infact it would be worth buying a second key just for that :D

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's a great idea in principle but as I found out to my cost the engineering on a Jeep is poor quality and the more electric toys that are fitted the more there are likely to go wrong including a heated seat that didn't and a rear wiper that didn't and these cost a lot to put right so i didn't bother as I had already spent too much on repairs to various other electrics to keep the thing running.

I sold it after about six months when it became obvious that it would be an ongoing financial liability and if I ever return to four wheel drive transport it will be with a much better engineered Shogun that doesn't have automatic electric memory seats but hopefully won't have such huge repair bills either.

12. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's only if you lose the red 'master' key. Normal blue keys can be programmed from the master key, for a about 70 quid.

Don't use the red master key on a day-to-day basis! It's a very bad idea!

And don't buy a Fiat, either! It's an equally bad idea! (I should know, I've had four :rolleyes: )

13. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    You've got me worried now. We also have a Fiat Punto and only have 2 blue keys and no red key. Will make sure I take extra care of these!

14. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should be OK with the Punto: I think Fiat stopped using this system a few years ago.

Might be worth checking with the dealer, though.

15. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I snapped one of my Corsa keys a couple of months ago, and Vauxhall
    wanted a similar comedy price.

Tried all the local key cutting places who have the transponder machines, but guess what ? None of them can do Vauxhall keys :(

I don't use the car much anymore, so rather than forking out for a spare key that I might never need, I'm gonna take a chance and just have one set.

License to print money if you ask me !

Ian.

16. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You're right - I had concerns when I purchased a Punto some time ago so looked into it a little. In the case of the older (pre '98 models), this was the response I had from Fiat:

"If, when you turn the ignition on initially, the word "code" appears with the shape of a key nearby on the dash (in Orange), then a Red Key should have been supplied with the vehicle. If not, then it was introduced prior to the current system and only 2 standard blue keys should be present."

:)

Kelvin.

17. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fiat keys are about £90 from the dealer but £25 from the keysmith. Get your shoes fixed at the same time

18. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do Fiat make shoes? I bet they're really stylish, but the stitching comes undone after two weeks...

19. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Opps, I have a 98 Punto and the word "code" appears on the dash when I turn it on. I don't have a red key...

20. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    ha!

Those figures are nothing compared to what Alfa were wwanting to charge people for a lost red key. On my leasing agreement it said that lost red keys would be £2000 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: and double :eek:

Fortunately the Alfa I had did not have that system (phew)!

Chris

21. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The advantage of my old Ford was that the 'red key' could be used to programme the normal keys using the ignition. Put the red key in, turn it to possition one, turn it back and take it out, put in the blank black key and turn it to possition one for 30 seconds and bobs your uncle.

A lost red key was about £500 though

22. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I think I'd be taking the motor manufacturer / dealer to court should they want such an large amount for a key replacement - it clearly didn't cost that much to make and install. I'd argue over 'fit for use' if an item that is a glorified on/off switch handle could not be replaced for under £30 ( infact it should be a couple of pounds at most ). Keys by their very nature of being detached and portable get lost, stolen, dropped down drains .....

Go and park your car blocking off the dealers entrance, lock the doors and then 'loose your keys'

23. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    While I agree with you it would not be worth it for £135. Little old me vs multi-million pound organisation Reg Vardy or Renault. I think they would win... :(

24. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    surely you are not alone ?

there must be plenty of customers having to face the same costs and situations.

First point of call - Watchdog.
    Collect all the information on this thread about your specific car and the model/ costs for other manufacturers / people complaints and bang off a few emails to all the consumer magazines and TV programs.
    Leave messages on as many forums, enthusiast car sites, the AA,RAC etc motoring organisation sites.
    Writing up your situation then cutting and pasteing the info to all those places should take no more than an hour or so.

.... then see what happens.

its really down to how strongly you feel about it - and whether you are prepared to do abit of leg work to try and stop it happening in the future.

Have you ever noticed that even though plenty of business don't change their practices because of TV comsumer shows .... the people who get mentioned when writing in usually get the things fixed for free as a sign of 'good will'
    ...... if you don't scream and shout they definately will ignore you, might as well give it a try.

25. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Keys are very complex these days.

You have remote locking, immobilises and the key itself to buy. If you are on a budget most dealers will do a key without remote locking for around £100.

Remember it is not a quick job either, you have to leave them the car! They connect it to a computer which produces the information needed to make the key!

26. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    By some miracle the missing keys were handed in to Debenhams lost property. The Mrs re-traced her steps today and we've now got them back. So I don't need to pay the extortionate price Renault wanted! But have learnt a valuable lesson - pay more attention when the wife has the keys!! :oops:

27. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Renault prices are fairly extortionate (but I doubt most other dealers are much different)...replacing my Megane's boot lock, £61...nasty but not terrible, it's a lock.

Replacing the small plastic latch it connects to, £42!!! For a small piece of plastic.

28. cy9099

cy9099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek:
    I've got a fiat punto 2003. Bought it 2nd hand without the spare key. Went to a fiat dealership to order a spare. Just called them 5 minutes ago to get the price as I need to pick up the key & get it programmed tomorrow. £120!! How is that possible?!

Especially cos I bought it 2 months ago, and last month, the gearbox & clutch fell apart & had to be replaced £1450. Luckily, the car was still under warranty, so that was free:D But the warranty's expired now & I'm getting a bit scared.

29. cy9099

cy9099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats just the way it is

30. tek

tek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't it have buttons labelled '1' and '2' in the car on the driver door, so you can still program it, and press the buttons each time, without needing two keys? (presumably not or you woulda tried it!) My dad had one, a few years ago now, but you could still have the two settings without 2 keys, make the settings once, and then just choose them manually in car.