1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

::: £1300 to spend on first system, Lets ave your specs :D :::

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Tob3z, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    Very new to this site so If I go out of line just tell me.

Ok well. Im 17. Living with parents and prob will for some time. Just built a new pc and now I need a good system to make my room complete and officaily have no life.

At the moment I have a ok, lol, 4gamers 5.1 surround sound system for xbox. I game alot so this is a must. Im selling that to a mate for £100 so that will be £1300 to spend on a system. I might be able to move up £100 if your nice.
    Ok well I have been looking around and this is what I need.
    A amp capable of 5.1 and 2 extra speakers on a different channel for my pc.
    So I will need. One amp. 5.1 surround sound and 2 extra speakers to go next to my pc.
    So the amp needs to be able to switch between A and B. So A will be 5.1 and B will be pc speakers. (I know you lot know what your on about but I dont so let me be a n00b please lol.)

Been looking in what hi-fi and they give the Epos ELS 3 5.1 a great review. Best speakers for £850. So they look nice. The Denon 2105 looks nice. Ment to go perfect with the Epos system. Thats about £350. And then I am looking for 2 more speakers for my pc. Of course I am not going to go out and buy creative speakers for £100. They have crap out put and I would rather not have any creative stuff in my room.
    I was looking at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 but it just struck me that I dont have the room for fully big speakers. Having a fat amp and 5.1 big ass speakers in my room which isnt that big is going to be trickey let alone having 2 more speakers.
    So I need your help getting 2 speakers that are small but pack a punch.
    Are the mission m31i speakers any smaller?
    I might be looking for something linke the Mordaunt-Short Genie style and size speakers.

I hope I havent confused anyone. Any help would be great. But please dont tell me to spend my money on something else like a car ect. This money is to be spent on a sound system, OK. (parents are buying me a car lol)
    I dont need a DVD player or anything else. I will order Sky + this month and get a new widescreen TV when I have more cash. Music is more of a life for me.

Ok well I am going on abit.
    Thanks for your time
    Tob3z

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there no chance that you could integrate the two systems. It seems needlessly complicated from what I can see. The A-B switching function on most AV amps these days is for switching between different sets of surround speakers.

Are you just playing games, or are you watching movies and listening to music too. Where do you sit when you're watching films and playing games. I presume the PC and the TV are in different places. Can you not deal with having the rear surrounds either side of your PC and playing music in surround sound mode? How big is your room, and do you want bookshelves or floorstanders?

As far as amps go, the 2105 seems to be everyone's favourite at the moment. Hyperfi are still selling off mission 78 series speakers at ridiculous prices, and I would be pretty tempted to try to get a good price on some of those.

I can't stress enough that if music is your thing, get a decent stereo only setup rather than a flashy surround sound set. With your budget the sound from the stereo only system will beat the 5.1 system hands down.

3. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is a rectangular shape. My pc is in a corner and My double bed is in frount of the tv. It just works out that I will have to have 2 speaker setups.
    Im a heavey gamer on xbox and pc. Owning 170 xbox games means that I will use 5.1 alot. I dont need to use 5.1 for pc as pc games tend to suck for 5.1 and I only own about 10 pc games. And alot are sims and games which dont need 5.1.
    And with Sky+ on the way I will use surround sound for movies.
    They will be wall mounted or shelves. Because I have little floor space.
    Hyperfi doesnt seem to have a store cataloge but there are PD files. Just need to download Adobe.

4. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like the kind of money you will be talking about will be wasted if how you are talking about setting it up is done.

I'm not a home cinema user (not at all infact - just gave my lovely DVD player to my parents because I wasnt using it and felt like being generous :suicide: ) but I do love music.

Can you not just use 2 channel for XBOX? If you are worried about the sound not filling the room etc, dont worry - 2 channel is very good at that if done properly!

Just an idea to show you how I did it with the restrictions of still living at home:
    [​IMG]
    The above is:
    Arcam Alpha 7SE CD, Arcam Alpha 8r Amplifier, Sony MDS-JE330 Minidisc, NAD 402 tuner, B&W 602 speakers.
    Sony 21" Flat TV, Mitsubishi E30 VCR.

Obviously for films it's not as good as 5.1 - but in stereo :clap: I'm well pleased with it ;)

Would you consider two channel with the above sort of idea?
    Tbh - even keep the XBOX 5.1 yoke and spend the £1200 on a nice 2 channel set up for music :)

is the attached image possible for you to do?

Attached Files:

5. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heres what I did with paint. Will post a real pic in time.
    I have to have 5.1. Gaming is my life. Once I heard 5.1 at my uncles I had to have it. I was young so I bought a £120 setup. I now know that I need a much better responsive system.
    5.1 has to stick. But hey if you want to go up to 7.1 be my guest. Lol thats going to far. I can see your point but so much crap is being taken out of my room because it looks like a kids room.

Attached Files:

• j.GIF
      j.GIF
      Size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok one pic is taken from my door and the other is taken from my tv.
    If you have any comments on my room please say. Im hate the colour and if it was up to me it would be white. Purly because I would like a basic room. But noooo I had to have parents who wanted taste. Damn you parents.

Attached Files:

7. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/hotdeals_home.htm

Have look here they do some great deals with cables. I use Denon and KEF with my xbox but any of those shown will work well and will have all the bits you need.

If gaming is your thing the 5.1 is definetly the way forward, I'd just get a cheap pair of speakers for the pc or run a phono cable out to the surround sound system.

Martin

8. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Size of room, parent's house.... hmm - probably doesn't lend itself well to a system comprised of full-on speakers, sub etc (not unless you really are trying to peel the paint off the walls :D ).

Have you thought about the AE Aego P5 set-up - recently updated so you should be able to pick up the original Mk I for silly money - does the DTS/5.1 thing, and having listened to this I was actually quite impressed with what it could do. The bonus is that you would be left with about a cool grand to lash on a serious 2 channel setup, with a good CD player, amp and speakers (with the only real headache being how to set this up around the PC in the corner). Or, going a little further, you could keep most of the money you've just saved and plumb for a Denon micro system, small bookshelves (Missions, most likely) and keep the 700 quid you've got left out of all this for a pretty decent upgrade to the car stereo (assuming Ma and Pa aren't forking for the Aston with the full Linn treatment). Just some ideas to mull.....

9. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'm in a similar situation and am not sure what to do. I'm at uni in halls of residence so the room is small but I want 5.1 sound for movies and pc gaming but also good sound for music. All my music will be playing through my pc (from audigy 2 ZS soundcard). I only have room for small speakers.

I was thinking about a yamaha 750SE amp with some JMLabs Sib&Cub 5.1 speakers as well as a Denon 1910 DVD player. I'll also be using a Sharp LC-26GA4E LCD TV with this setup. The TV will be placed right next to my PC monitor so the speaker placement shouldn't be a problem, I'm just worried it won't be up to much where music is concerned.

10. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont see the point in splashing out on a 2 channel setup rather than a 5.1.
    Im trying to rearange my room soon. So it will be a basic room with a tv in the center of one wall so speakers can be in each corner. So there might not need to be any point in 2 more speakers. But ever one agrees that the Amp is ok. I dont think anyone is going to change my mind about the Epos. Lol.
    No point in Cd player ect because I live off MP3s.
    So now I guess its time to draw a setup of what I am going to have.
    This will include:
    Sky +
    TV (one scart + ariel, will get new one in time)
    Amp
    PC (opticle, 5.1 outputs, and the yellow one lol)
    This has all got to be connected together.
    Oh and I have a VCR but do we really need to add that, cause I dont use it.

11. special

special

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the computer I would get headphones or a 5.1 soundcard (if you don't already have a soundcard). TV card. Plug the Xbox into the computer. So they are both in the same place, then have surround sound for all...

12. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I have sorted out my room now with a nice double bed and everything thing in my room in lined up with the room. PC and TV in frount middle. And then the speakers can go in the courners and thats that. Theres no way i would rig my xbox through my pc as the quility is very poor I have heard. Its fine going through a TV.
    So do you think the Amp and speakers are ok. I want to splash out now so I wont have to splash out in 5 years time. If you buy something good in the firstplace when it comes to buying something better you can prob sell what you have for a decent price. And Im loaded for 17 years old as well. £120 a month helps with my system :D
    Whats lipsync. 2105 doesnt have it. Will I need it?

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I wouldn't normally recommend this but in your case it might work for you.
    If you're prepared to use your PC as the central hub then you can look at adding a sound card from this range: http://www.nusystems.co.uk/buy.asp?n=Sound-Cards&b=30
    Having tested a few of these as sources they are very good. The problems arise with noise from the PC. I'd imagine if you have a good new PC this would reduce the problem. I believe you could run an X box through this and other devices by adding an external I/O device. Add a large TFT and TV card and lose the TV.
    Add this to a good set of speakers and I'd say you'd have a very nice entertainment system. Possibly in your situation a better buy than seperates.
    Food for thought anyway.....

14. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tob3z, I'd buy a good 2-channel amp (NAD C352CT, Marantz PM7200 or whatever) and add a Yamaha DSP-E800 processor to power the centre and rears. Connect the amp to the comp for 2-channel sound from that, and switch the processor on when you want 5.1.
    I have B+W 602 S3's (see commited's picture) and they are very good, but might be a bit big for your small room. Try Quad 11Ls or misson 780s for smaller alternatives. I can give suggestions but its really a case of you researching and auditioning for yourself though- trust your own ears.
    Dont use the pc to spin your CDs, SQ will suffer.

15. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Why is this? With the quality of the DAC's in the sound cards I've recommended you'd have to spend a few thousand on a CDP to beat them. Having heard a few PC CD transport based players usually built around NOS DAC's and being developed in China i'd seriously question the old school of thought that using a PC CDP is rubbish. There are some interesting threads going at the moment about differences between budget CDP's.
    Here's one that may be of interest
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182111

Besides all of this, I think Tob is using only Mp3's. So I doubt the sound quality of the CD/DVD in the PC will be an issue.

16. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh just MP3s rly. I dont buy CD's because downloading them with something like MSN ( ;) sure...) cost less. But lets not talk about where I get my MP3s from. lol

So because I am a n00b I need to go through what cables go into what. And if you could translate your ideas like this it would help me. Im not good when it comes to audio stuff.

So if we go the root I was sayingit would be:
    5.1 speakers in amp. Xbox opticle into amp. PC opticle into amp. Sky into amp with the right and left audio thingamijigs.
    Am I right in saying that opticle is the best quility to go from xbox and pc to amp or are there better cable types that my xbox 3rd party cable and pc have?

Attached Files:

17. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    knightshade- you point out yourself in the thread you cite (with the cyberhome vs the MF DAC) that the weakness probably lies in some other aspect of that guy's system. Could you not say the same of using a comp for cds, that the weakness wouldn't lie in the sound card it would lie in the comp's CD drive? Or do I not understand the workings of PC cd playback? Not an avenue I have explored.
    Cool site though.

If you're after decent sound quality from your system Tob3z, I would be wary of using MP3s unless you can be assured of their quality.

18. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Problems to do with PC based systems are down to the problems with electrical noise in the PC itself. Nothing at all wrong with the transports.
    If you're after quality playback forget about MP3's altogether.

19. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh its not the best quility going through a pc like knightshade said. Alot of things can give noise like wirelessand hdds.
    But seeing as I dont buy CD's and the quility of music I download is prob in the 256 mark its not going to be the best. But hey, I will start buying cds soon and I will buy a cd player.... but not yet.

20. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    alright mate

i was in a similar situation to you about 4 years ago and i'm still working on getting a good setup, so i'll try and add my view to stop you suffering for as long as i have...

I bought myself a NAD T743 AV receiver (and some Tannoy Fusion 3 floorstanders) to start (properly) which will do essentially what you're after for about £350 (excluding the speakers). the A&B switchable outputs are for a 5.1 and 2-channel output respectively. so thats one bit kinda sorted.

one of the input options on the amp is for an external 5.1 setup, so a PC soundcard with line outputs for separate fronts rears, etc will be fine. and with an S-Video output on a graphics card you can put your PC output thru the amp an onto a monitor of your choice. now, i dont know what people's opinions of PC graphics on a TV screen are, but its possibly worth a thought. you'll have to ask someone else as i'm still trying to sort this issue out myself. anyway, back to my essay... :)

some decent AV cables from Xbox to amp will sort you with the surround sound on that, optical cables are fairly widely available on the net. and with plenty of spare inputs there's room for DVDs and CD players too.

i don't know the general of NAD on this forum, but i love it - its musical first, but in-built with the musicality is the ability to produce great cinema sound for the price. i love it. :thumbsup: but thats just me and my humble opinion.
    i think in all i've spent about a grand on my setup (including the speakers this time), plus cables (which i 'acquired' from a mate who's in the business).

sorry for the length, but i'll stop now. any questions let me know, and i'll try and answer them, i know i'm not a great explanation person, but i'll see if i can help.

cheers mate

wish i'd had £1300 two years ago...:)

Tom

21. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Tom,
    I have tryed my pc through my tv with a adapter. It didnt look very good and I think I perfer a monitor for my pc.
    I have just had a stinking idea.
    So 5.1 for xbox, and then the same 2 front speakers for pc games etc but.... also build a HTPC and have hat rigged up to my amp so not only can I watch, pause, record tv though Windows Media Center but I can listen to my music wth a decent sound card through my amp.
    I just want to make sure everyone understands that I will not be playing games through 5.1 but using the 2 front speakers of the 5.1... so basicly make sure the amp is set to the PC imput and the amp is set to stereo.
    Should be able to build a HTPC for £300. Speakers are costing £850 and amp is costing £340. Then I can save up for cables and stands. Stands are so muxh money. All I want is some nice black stands and some wall mounts... Im not to sure on what stands I need yet..... will get6 back to you on that one.

22. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I havent got much to add to this discussion since theres a lot of decent advice floating around, but what I would say is this: If you are after hifi quality music sound, then you may as well utilise your computer. Forget the rubbish people talk about them being no good, I use a £70 EMU 0404 soundcard that easily sounds as good as CD players that would come close to swallowing your entire budget for a system... I also believe the 1820 offers surround sound too... might be wrong about that, but I seem to remember it being so.

23. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    shame, but it was worth a try! i'm going to give my TV a try through an S-Video o/p on my graphics card tonight (i have nothing better to do) and see how good/poor it is, possibly a solution to the problem but i'm not sure it will be.

i know what you mean about the stands, i'm trying to get some atacamas for my rears and i cant :censored: afford it...lol. and i'm working on getting a sub too, but again, the rent's getting in the way...is that fair do you think? parents charging me rent?!! i guess it is but... :offtopic:

sorry

anyway, good luck with the setup mate, let us all know how things progress

Tom

24. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    there's a few wall-mount speaker bracket floating around on fleabay atm...

try here and here

there's also some B&W DM602's here with 'free' atacama stands...tempting...

its all just a case of looking i suppose

:)

25. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's fine for watching divx movies and maybe looking at photos but i certainly wouldn't recommend it to replace a monitor. You can hardly see text and it's really difficult to look at, even for simple things like clicking on icons.

I'm speaking from my own experience of using a GEforce FX5200 TV out via S-video to a 21 inch TV so quality may vary depending on the graphics card and TV.

26. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers for that Andy...thats the same card as i have...think i'll steer clear of that one then.

i've got a 25" panny CRT thats about 5years old...might give it a pop anyway but i'm certainly not expecting miracles

:)

cheers mate

27. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah give it a go anyway to see for yourself.

On a different note what do you reckon to the Tannoy Fusions? I've got Fusion 2s, Fusion 1s and a Fusion centre in my system and you're the first person i've seen mention them on this message board apart from myself!

28. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on another note lol :offtopic: :)
    nearly every kid today at college couldnt believe I wa spending so much. They keep telling me what I could buy ect but the jokes on them. In 4 years time when they are in a flat/home they will be moaning about there crap tvs and no sound system while I am living it up in luxuary.... ahhhh.

So I think this is what I am going to get:

Epos 5.1 (What Hi-Fi love these for 5.1) £850
    Denon 2105 (My choice, no one has given it a bad review) £350
    A Pany TV.... now Im having hard time choosing.... there is 3 I have found and 2 have Freeview and 1 doesnt.... I have to compare specs and prices.

So all I need now are the cables... so I am going to look in what Hi-Fi magazine and just pic the good priced, good review cables. Can't go wrong there.
    If any one can find some cheaper prices for this stuff please go ahead and say where because it looks like I will have to wait untill march (birthday) for more cash for the TV.
    Thanks for the ebay links. They are worth having a small bid on em :thumbsup:

Also I need a decent all in one remote and a TFT 19" monitor but they can wait untill I am ready for them.
    And viewing pc to TV with S-Video I dont think matters what gfx card you have. I have nearly the newest ATI card. Connect3D X800 XT PE... aww HL2 soooo nice.

29. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that :)

Sounds like a good system you're going to have there, I'm well jealous!

30. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Take a look at Mark Grant on the powerbuy section of the cables forum. Good cables and good value. http://www.tvcables.co.uk/ this place is also good. Don't spend the earth on cables. For some good advice take a look through some of the threads in the cables forum.
    Good Luck