1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£1200 AV Package - What to audition???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by montyc, Nov 16, 2003.

1. montyc

montyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What should I audition upto £1200? B&w 600 Series, Wharfdale Evo Pack etc???
    I am going to buy some flat panels for rears until I get the new kit, could you use both in a 6.1 setup going into the same connection in my amp??
    I would then use the bi/di poles in the av pack on the sides.

What do you guys think?

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monitor Audio Silver S series :)

Gary

3. gpa

gpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo the Wharfdale Evo Pack and several other, settled for Kef as per my set up below. Well worth a listen in my opinion.

4. smp

smp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just gone for a Monitor Audio Silver as well, after auditioning several options. We needed magnetic shielding on the front speakers as well as the centre which cut our selection down, ie. no B&W, no Wharfedale, no Quad, no Castle, no Rega etc etc etc.

However I think the MA's are the best of the remaining selection and held their own in the above company as well.

-- however as you can see it's subjective. I'd take a good selection of your own music, and book the demo room for the whole afternoon and test everything they have! Probably a good idea to take the rest of your kit too so that you get the best overall match.

5. montyc

montyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses all.

6. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Tannoy eyrises if you can find somewhere to demo them. They are half price at the moment (the new models are coming soon). You could get a fabulous 7 speaker package (no sub) for around that money. petertyson.co.uk

7. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,mission fan here...If u can,try track down some clearence m5 series speakers-1 of the best speaker ranges in its class,and now most of their stuff is near enough half price theres no excuse!Billy Vee hifi does mainland delivery at £5 per box so this setup would be very nice: (£550)£350 m53 fronts,(£200)2x£100 m5c centre and(£300)£200 m51 rears.This leaves you with £550 on a decent sub,stretch it to £650 and get a Rel Q200e or 2 MJ acoustic reference 350s!1 at the left and 1 at the right!

Zoolander
    :D