1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£120 to spend on Standmounts... Which ones? Please give ANY suggestions!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by agw_01, Jul 7, 2003.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm in the process of selling both pairs of my Mission speakers.
    After selling them both, I *should* have about £120 to spend on new standmounts.

I know £120 isn't a lot of money, but I have been looking at RicherSounds and they seem to have some pretty decent speakers in. The reasons for me selling my current speakers, are because the 702e's are too big for my bedroom, and the 700's can't take much power. In the living room downstairs however, the 702e's sound absolutely fantastic!

Later in the year, I am going to be getting some new speakers (possibly Quad 11Ls), but it all depends on whether I start work within the next few months :)

The speakers that I have been considering are the KEF Cresta 2 or the Mission 771e. Can anyone recommend any more speakers, which give decent performance for their price? I know this is very budget stuff, but it's all I can afford at the moment, and I can't live without music :)

What I am looking for, are speakers that can make a nice amount of noise, and still sound good. The 702e's don't make my ears bleed :D which disappointed me, as they say they can handle 100w/ch peak so I thought they would be able to go louder than they do. I also have a sub-woofer (yes, it's a cheapy) to take the bass requirements away from the 702e's but they can't take much more power before they start to distort.

I'm also looking at a few power or integrated amps to use with/replace my Yamaha Reciever.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    Two lines of attack- either look into what Richer are up to (very little flicking through their catalogue)- 771e's at a ton could be interesting- your sub will sort of make up for their limited bass. There aren't any more Cresta's if that is any help. There is also of course ebay- you could find all sorts of things for £100 (leaving £20 for p&p). Worth having a look in any case. Can't find much out there at the moment- the budget market isn't what it used to be :(

3. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :)

So, are the 771e's better than my current speakers? I will be having them on stands, so they will be at my ear level when sat at my desk, so I want them to sound pretty decent :)

Also, the 700's don't go very loud, which was quite disappointing, so I was wondering how loud the 771's can go?

Are the KEF Cresta's better than the Missions?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Cresta 2's and the 771e's are VERY different speakers. The Kef's are large boxes with good bass and strong midrange. Missions are much smaller and more suited to gentler listening IMO. Very clear midrange and sweet top-end. The Kef's can take more welly from an amp too.

Kefs are rear-ported and can boom in smaller rooms/against a wall. Missions less fussy about positioning, but both require good stands to sound their best (as do all bookshelf speakers). I reckon the Kef's are more like your 702's agw_01, the little Missions aren't really designed to kick out loud DVD soundtracks.

In reality neither is a big enough step-up from your 702's to warrant changing IMO. Scrape together another £60-£80 and you are into a better range of speakers which will give a genuine improvement.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    Good call by Nobber 22 if you genuinely can find any extra capital then you will reap the benefits of it, if you can't then you're still looking at the same products- would you still consider ebay? 771e is a sensitive little bugger- it will go reasonably loud considering how small it is but the bass performance isn't film soundtrack suited really. An extra £50 would pay for MS902's (ahem- please see my profile- no more plugging I promise) which is big 'n' bassy if you want more oomph.

6. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, well I've decided :clap:

I just put the 700s back on the stands next to my desk and listened to a variety of different music... I think I'll leave them where they are, because up on the wall, it's almost impossible to appreciate them (I keep forgetting what good speakers they are).

I just had a look on eBay, and saw speakers from Mission, KEF, Linn and Wharfedale, but I've decided that I'm going to keep these for a bit longer. I know they are pretty good speakers, but I never really sit back in a large room and listen to them. On the few occasions that I have done that, I was deeply impressed... the sub is much better in the living room btw.

So, thanks to you all for the replies, they have helped me make up my mind about keeping the speakers I have, as I probably won't find any better speakers for the money I paid for these.

Now, when I get a job, that'll be different... gonna spend major money on a nice stereo setup :smashin:

Thanks again :)