£100ish Speakers for New Alarm Clock

echo3

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my alarm clock radio, probably with an Onkyo CS-515 (unless someone can recommend a decent alternative). Question is which speakers.

Onkyo D-N9dbx, Cambridge Audio S30 or Q Acoustics 1010i ?

or any other recommendations (preferably bookshelf, budget around £70-120)

thanks,

OK I allowed the first post as I am actually pretty easy going, but after a second post...

The thread starter is asking for speaker advice. So please post accordingly

I'm replacing my alarm clock radio, probably with an Onkyo CS-515 (unless someone can recommend a decent alternative). Question is which speakers.

Onkyo D-N9dbx, Cambridge Audio S30 or Q Acoustics 1010i ?

or any other recommendations (preferably bookshelf, budget around £70-120)

thanks,

The Onkyo CS-515 is still a bit expensive given that its end of range and still over £200 not inc speakers.

Have a look at the " SHARP HTDV40 2.1 DVD SYSTEM " which is advertised at Richer Sounds VIP Club ' MEMBER PRICE £149.95 ' in the present VIP Club offering ... you just sign up for the club on line and they send you their offers by e mail.

Standard price and specification here ...

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SHAR-HTDV40

It includes speakers of course and it plays DVDs so you can have a very High Tech Alarm clock if you could afford a cheap LCD TV.:devil:

Well you did say " unless someone can recommend a decent alternative " didn't you.

Whatever did Mods Zap? Yours seems to be a very simple request.:D

Thanks for this - I'll look it up. I don't watch TV in bed though (no TV in bedroom at the moment and no plans to add one - at the moment!).

The Yamaha M170 seems to be another alternative.

The CS-515 is end of range as you say, but was an award winning unit and its replacement is no better in terms of sound quality (although it does have a USB input). I can get the 515 for £175, which seems good value.

Sound quality over a range of different music and compactness are the key quailities I'm looking for (could get a stonking system of s/h separates off ebay for the money - very tempting but would take up too much room).

No idea what the mods have deleted? Have I done something wrong?

The Onkyo CS-515 is still a bit expensive given that its end of range and still over £200 not inc speakers.

Have a look at the " SHARP HTDV40 2.1 DVD SYSTEM " which is advertised at Richer Sounds VIP Club ' MEMBER PRICE £149.95 ' in the present VIP Club offering ... you just sign up for the club on line and they send you their offers by e mail.

Standard price and specification here ...

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SHAR-HTDV40

It includes speakers of course and it plays DVDs so you can have a very High Tech Alarm clock if you could afford a cheap LCD TV.:devil:

Well you did say " unless someone can recommend a decent alternative " didn't you.

Whatever did Mods Zap? Yours seems to be a very simple request.:D

Thanks for this - I'll look it up. I don't watch TV in bed though (no TV in bedroom at the moment and no plans to add one - at the moment!).

The Yamaha M170 seems to be another alternative.

The CS-515 is end of range as you say, but was an award winning unit and its replacement is no better in terms of sound quality (although it does have a USB input). I can get the 515 for £175, which seems good value.

Sound quality over a range of different music and compactness are the key quailities I'm looking for (could get a stonking system of s/h separates off ebay for the money - very tempting but would take up too much room).

No idea what the mods have deleted? Have I done something wrong?

£175 is a reasonable price but if you aren't in a desperate hurry you should wait and sign up for the VIP Club since they do regularly include Micro Systems in their offers .. I was tempted by a Denon micro system for the bedroom but really don't need an excuse to stay in bed when my spine is miss-behaving!

Octobers issue of What Hi Fi Sound and Vision had a Richer Sounds advert that included an Onkyo CS325Mini System that throws in a DS-A2 Dock and speakers for £199 ' lowest price guaranteed ' that wouldn't take up much room. There was a Richer Sounds price reduction voucher on the same page but I've used mine. :devil:

Sound Quality and Compactness is a bit of a problem since reduction in size does reduce quality unless you buy some sort of 2.1 speakers plus sub combination like this ' ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGO M SUBWOOFER/SATELLITE SPEAKER PACKAGE ' ....

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2543

"Looks great, works superbly; real power and good integration make the Aego M one of the best-sounding speaker systems in its class", "Cute, cheap and very, very good: what more do you want?" What HiFi Sound and Vision, January 2006. "

Staying with that CS-515 .. which may come down still further in price .. you could look at /listen to the .. ' TANNOY MERCURY F1 CUSTOM SPEAKERS ' at £89.95 ..

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3154

"Best Stereo Speakers under £150", "These Tannoys are both lively and entertaining in a way that eludes most of the competition. They're a great budget buy, and easy to partner, too".

Richer Sounds have them at just under £100 and they price beat ..

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TANN-CUSTOM-F1

they are front ported and so should work quite well even against a wall ... not tiny though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom