• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

£1000 - Which TV?

zippers

Standard Member
Looking for a new Tv.

Budget is £1000 but could stratch to £1500 for the right TV

Must be LED or LCD

Prefered for gameing (Allthough have not yet bought a WII or XBox 360/PS3
Will be adding Blueray player/Player-Recorder

Allready have Vierra 46G15 so am aiming to go bigger (at least 55"/60")

2 Models have caught my eye

Sharp LC60LE636E 60" £999 with 5 Year warranty (400Hz)

LG 55LM860V with 1 year warranty (100Hz)

Would appreciate any help/advice/guidance as I cannot get out to view them

TIA

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Why the switch to LCD? quite different from plasma, you need to go see really.

LED sets are LCD sets with LED back lighting, great if you want an extremely thin set but PQ wise they can be worse if edge lit, I'd stick with plasma myself.

zippers

Standard Member
I would if I could but have mobility issues that wont allow me to get into shop units to view whats on disply.

The reason for the move was based on power consumption, with the icrease in cost in running the plasma over the last 3 years it would have paid for this new TV if I had bought non plasma last time.

So what does any one recommend then. (What about the 2 above?)

£1000 budget - but would push to £1500 if required.

Min size ideally would be 55"

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I would if I could but have mobility issues that wont allow me to get into shop units to view whats on disply.

The reason for the move was based on power consumption, with the icrease in cost in running the plasma over the last 3 years it would have paid for this new TV if I had bought non plasma last time.

So what does any one recommend then. (What about the 2 above?)

£1000 budget - but would push to £1500 if required.

Min size ideally would be 55"

Not a chance, your talking maybe £30 a year difference depending on use and the sets you compare. Where did you hear the difference was so big? LCDs and plasma use energy differently you can't just go by headline figures.

zippers

Standard Member
Simples, It reflects in my Electric bill.

Consumption on the TV is upto 900w and the TV is often on 24/7. Allthough fuel costs have risen it does not equate to the £7 per week I was paying 3 years ago to the £17.50 I pay a week now.

I have since stopped using one of 2 freezers I had, have an A rated washer which was more efficient than my Old one, plus an A rated new fridge which is more ecconmic than the old one. Daily habits and usage remain the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom