£1000 to spend - should i go for new LED? Samsung UE40B6000? Help much appreciated ..

zwaigo

Standard Member
Hi, i'm looking to purchase a new TV, i have about £1000 to spend and i'm looking for a 40inch.

Yesterday, i wandered up tottenham court road and went into most of the shops there. I'm not a real tech head, so i was unaware of the new LED TV's on the market, but was seriously impressed by the picture quality in the shops.

The Panasonic and Sony LED's are well out of my price range, but i really liked the Samsung UE40B6000, which was £1599 in the Samsung shop but i have found it for £999 on the internet (Currys). But having done a bit more research on the net, the UE40B6000 doesn't get a great review for picture quality on this site.

I'd really appreciate some advice from people that know about whether they think the UE40B6000 is a good TV for me to go for, or if not what they would recommend. My concerns with it are the auto dimming function as described on this site, and also buying a 1st generation new technology which normally still has bugs to iron out.

My friend recently bought a Toshiba 40zf355db and he tells me the picture quality is amazing and reckons i am better to spend my money on an older more established TV, something that has come down in price and is proven to be good quaIity rather than gamble on brand new technology.

Really appreciate some advice, many thanks in advance.

Jon P

I'd have to Agree with the reviews found on AV forums. The back light dimming on LED sets often creates very noticable issues. I've seen an LED set in a room with controlled lighting and the screen looked almost like it was flashing at you as the Back lights went on and off. This was a model from 2 generations ago but it sounds like they still haven't perfected the LED backlit LCD. I'd rather a good quality traditionally lit LCD than an LED back lit one personally.

Last edited:

zwaigo

Standard Member
Thanks for your advice - does anyone else have any opinions on the UE40B6000?

Jon, is there a 40inch LCD for around £1000 that you would recommend?

Jon P

Here's a link to the LCD screens that we do.
LCD TV - Pioneer Plasma TV, Pioneer Kuro TV, Pioneer KRP, Plasma PDP

we don't do any 40" screens but do have 37" and 42" screens as you can see It also worth looking at some of the plasma screens. You've not said what you're going to be using it for and in what sort of viewing environmet. There are plenty of threads on AV forums recomending the benefits of both technologies.:)

zwaigo

Standard Member
Thanks for your advice Jon. I'll be mainly using it in a small-ish lounge for Sky HD, PS3 and Blu-ray movies. Let me know if you have any recommendations!
Cheers

Jon P

It might be worth looking at the Review of the panasonic g10 on avforums and seeing if it would suit your needs.:) Oh and by the way welcome to the forum.:hiya:

zwaigo

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice.
I've looked at the G10 review and it certainly sounds very impressive.
I've heard there's a shelf life with plasmas though - is this the case with the G10?
Does anyone else have any other recommendations?
Many thanks all.
J

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom