1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£1000 to spend on hifi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dangillow, May 8, 2003.

1. dangillow

dangillow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im lookin to replace my current hifi with a completly new one or maybe jsut change one or two thigns to improve it. Well i have -

Cambridge Audio A300 (Amp)
    Sony MDSJB980 (MD) - I want to keep this
    Sony CDP-XE370 (CD)
    Celestion F20 Floor standers
    Gale Bi Wirable speaker cable
    Cambridge Audio Artci interconect

I listen to mainly hip hop, rnb, rap and a little rock so a system which plays this sort of music really well would great. I have looked in many hifi shops and most of them have told me to look at the NAD cd and amp set up and a few shops have told me the rotel hifi gear would also be ideal. After hearing all this im really unsure on what to get. So I have a £1000 to spend on CD, AMP, Speakers (Floor standers) and all the cable I need. Also this budget cant streach. Any help would be great

Dan

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on how your look at it) the world of HIFI isn't quite black and white. One piece of HIFI gear that gets slagged off in one magazine will get 5 stars in another, people have wildy different opinions on what sounds great. Therefore I can't stress how important it is to demo different systems at HIFI shops.

We can help in that we can recommend possible equipment to demo and see what you think.

I'll start off, for floorstanders how about the Mission M73 at £300 excellent tight bass, good sound staging and sweet trebble. You'll get me recommending mostly Mission stuff, others will probably point you in the direction of Kef Eggs stuff, or B&W. Speaking of B&W, give the B&W 602 S3 a go at a HIFI shop (£300), they may be stand mounts but they're huge and give off loads of bass and have good depth.

For amp, consider the Arcam A65+ (make sure you get the plus version) at £370, What HIFI thinks it goes quite well with the B&W 602 S3. For CD, either NAD C521i at £200 or Marantz CD6000 OSE at £250. That should leave some money for cables too.

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    How about, a couple of same brand systems, just to make life interesting....

Rotel RA-01, Rotel RCD-02, Mission M51 + Stands

or

NAD C370, NAD C541i, B&W 601 S3 + Stands (or 602's if you have a big room).

or

Arcam A65+, Arcam CD72, Monitor Audio Silver S1 + Stands

or

Rega Brio, Rega Planet, Rega Jura speakers

Theres a few options to get you going. They will all, IMO, sound outstanding for the money....

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Rega Planet is a very good sounding CD player- moreso than Arcam, Rotel & Nad.

The difference between the Rega Planet and my Tag DAC20 is slight- shows how good the Rega is.. however it has some shortcomings.

1) Easy to skip whilst playing- tapping the case causes it to skip.

2) The spindle/chuck thing makes some noise with (some) CD's like a wuh-wuh sound. Not loud but louder than a normal trayed mech.

5. dangillow

dangillow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well thats certianlly given helped quite alot ive written those products down and will try on the weekend to arrnage a demo and I might surf around the net to view of people's opinons. Another question the kit I already own what do you all think of it? should i udgrade everyhting or just chnage one two components?

Dan

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends on what you feel is lacking with your current setup.

If it were me, I'd probably be looking at the speakers and CD player first. The amp would be last on the list!

What I wouldn't do is go for wholesale change for changes sake - you may well end up with a new hifi, which is well....new, but doesn't really sound that much better than your current setup.
    I'd be inclined to take it step by step, and upgrade one component at a time. Try to identify what you feel is lacking and take it from there - you may find that you can get the improvements you're looking for without spending anywhere near your total budget. Of course, if that £1000 is burning a hole ........ :) :)

The Celestion F20s may be a little shy in the bass department, and the Sony CD may be a touch harsh and bright compared to sweeter sounding players in the next price bracket.

As was mentioned previously, there's really no substitute for hearing the various options yourself (ideally at home, but not always possible), as we all have our own views on what sounds good.

8. Knickerzohnonov

Knickerzohnonov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking that that list I would just look at the CD player and speakers. Spreading the money too thinly will just compromise the end result. With £1,000 there's a lot of good stuff out there, but it's what pleases your ears that's important. Some like the gutsy attack of Naim, whereas others prefer the more laid back, sweeter approach of Musical Fidelity. The Marantz CD6000KI is a good CD player, but Sony, Rotel, Roksan, Rega...(the list is endless!) do players around the asking price of the Marantz. As for speakers? If you can find any the Celestion A2's (now discontinued and were very cheap) are fantastic, I can personally vouch for these as I demoed a pair before getting the A3's because they were on offer for £1,500 (£1,000 off!!) at the time. failing that the mission 782, or the new Wharfedale pacific evolution range has got some really good reveiws so check them out too. Again though, there is so much good stuff out there so let your ears do the listening and get as much of that in as you can. A good dealer will let you do this and the best offer good advice too. Any dealers that don't and start pushing for a sale? Just leave.

9. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Rega Planet & Brio 2000 & Alya floorstanders are an excellent combination. The Marantz CD63 KI Sig also worked really well with the Regas & Nordost cables. Cables are a vital part of any system, and TBH I'd recommend spending a fair bit on these as they will wring better performance out of your components, & also stand future upgrades.

CD players can be a real problem. The new Planet 2000 is streets ahead of the old one & a few 2nd hand ones go for c£350, but the remote is extra. The older Marantz KI Sig can be a bargain for <£150 (better than the newer 6000KI), but sound quality varies wildly, so make sure yours sounds OK.

Nordost Cinemaflex is an excellent speaker cable for £5/m that destroys the competitian, & can show the benefit of a decent i/c like Blue Heaven (£80/m 2nd hand) on the right system.

That's £350 for a Planet, Brio for £300 (not many 2nd hand), £200 for Alyas, and £150 1m Blue Heaven & 2x5m Cinemaflex + termination.

10. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You should also check out electrical.loot.com and www.adverts.hififorsale.com/latest.asp for bargains.

Dealerwise Alistair at Signals (www.signals.demon.co.uk) is a really nice bloke who will give you lots of help & advice, and even let you borrow stuff. A few people on this forum use him too, & he's the very best (& I've dealt with lots of dealers over the years).

Something else that occurred to me was basing your system on a 2nd hand Densen Beat B100, which for £300 is a steal. The Marantz 63 KI is a great match, and I'd look at some 2nd hand Castle 7SEs for the spare £400 (same Nordost cables). That would be a near high-end sound for your £1k.

As previously stated don't be too slavish about stuff that is well reviewed in the comics. It's all very system dependent, and you can do much better for the money if you choose carefully.

11. dangillow

dangillow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also should note my home cinema kit.

Kef Eggs 5.1 + PSW2000 Sub
    Yamaha DSP-AX630SE Amp
    Xbox DVD Player
    QED Original Speaker Cable
    Cambridge Audio Alantic Sub Cable

This above kit I am very happy with and for mvoies I love it as for music its good but want to get two systems. One just for movies and the other for music. Because the kef eggs sound alot better than my celestions.

As for my hifi I have taken all of your posts in to consideration and borrowed a few mates hifi mags and read most of the over the weekend in my spare time. I have the april mag of what hifi and they have a feature of stero hifi systems.

At the moment I think I am going to change one bit of equipment at a time starting with CD player as I think this is the main limation of my system then will be speakers then eventually amp. Also is my cambridge audio a300 amp any good?

As for CD I am going to look at the Nad C541i and the Rotel RCD-02 are these good cd players to look at? Also where should I look at getting the cheapest price? I am going to listen to both of these CD players some time this week.

Dan

12. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I agree with the comment that said don't spend your budget all in one go. Also completely understand why you would want to keep your sony MD. Why not look out for a sony CD QS CD player to match it you should be able to get a good used CDP930 for about £100. Then can you start the search for a new amp and speakers but don't feel that you have to change them let your ears decide. Another option you might want to consider is adding a sub but it depends on the music you're listening to and the room/house the system is in.