£1000 to spend on a tv

Spireman123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I wonder if you can help. I am mainly using this to watch Sky HD (particularly sports) but also normal sky too. I really want a crisp clear picture and nice vibrant colours. I took a
SAMSUNG LE46B652T4WXXU

but was disappointed with the blur and picture wasnt anywhere near as jazzy as it looked in the shop. Also the 46" was too big for my lounge. Now i am taking it back and taking a 10% restocking fee hit leaving me with about £1000
Any help you can offer me would be hugely appreciated

Many thanks

Would you have space for a 50" plasma? if you wanted to go down that route then there are a few very good options for you to choose from. The LG 50PS8000 or Panasonic P46G10 would be the ones I would recommend if you wanted to go down the plasma route, I can't see you getting a better LCD to be honest, unless you preferred the Sonys, but they are more expensive. Although some of the 47" LGs look good and have impressed me at the other sizes

Hey thanks for the quick response Monarch, I think 50" would be too big. Also are plasma as vibrant in terms of colour?

You get greater contrast, they're not as bright as LCDs but colours should end up being deeper. I don't know whether vibrant is the right word but you could say yes to that. The LG 47LH7000 would be a possibility, the motion handling on the new LGs has impressed me and the colours are vibrant (again, a vague word but I would use it), it's available for just under a grand. The Panasonic plasma I mentioned is available for £1079 at 1stAudioVisual

Sorry to be a pain but thinking 37" or 40" are probably a better size to go for?

You can get a P42G10 for around £920, otherwise you'll be getting a choice from the HD ready plasmas like the 42PQ6000 or P42X10 (there is a P42S10 too, which is 1080p but not much less).

LG also make 42" sets, you'll be able to find a 42LH7000 well under budget. You can also get a Samsung UE40B6000 LED TV, there's a review of it on the reviews section of this forum, I can't see the price being justified personally. Otherwise it's just the Sonys (W5500) over the Samsung 6 series really in the 40" size. Panasonic make some good 37" LCDs, the Panasonic LCDs have excellent motion handling and viewing angles, the black levels aren't as good though. The L37G10 is around £750 and looks very good, otherwise there is the S10 which doesn't have 100Hz, but handles motion very well none the less. Plasmas have superior motion handling though, LCDs have a brighter picture

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom