£1000 - runaround or deathtrap?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Croker, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    If I was you i would save buy a good safe car, sure you may have your eyes on a dream car that you saw for £1000. But as long as its got 4-5 Euro N Caps then buy it, but if it does not have 4-5 Euro N Cap score.

Then save the money up and buy a 4-5 Euro N Cap car.

2. cwilso

cwilso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    £1k is certainly a good budget for a car, yes you wnt get a car thats under 2-5years old but so what youve just let someone else run the engine in for you! Just casue its cheap doesnt mean that there is a deadly reason why. So long as you know what your looking for and your way around cars there aint no reason you can get a car for a couple of hundren. now if your wanting some goodies then 1k will buy you alot. The reason why there are soo many cars now at cheap and cheerful prices is because of a flooded market. Seasons affect car prices massively but cars older than 97 kinda stick the same. the private market is obviously your best bet as is ebay however dont recomemnd a novice going to a car auction at all, you may well get stung.
    If you are a novice and dont fancy having to do major work on it (not that you will on a 1K car) just make sure its resently been through an MOT and forget about service history.
    Let us know how you get on
    plus euro n caps mean nothing

3. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, chaps - although I haven't posted in this thread for a couple of days, I've been visiting regularly and reading what everyone has to say. :thumbsup:

As tempted as I am at the thought of cruising around in a 5 series BMW - and it is very tempting! - I'm going to pass on getting one, because if something goes wrong, it's going to be an absolute nightmare cost-wise to put right. I can't afford to take that kind of risk, sadly...after all, the whole point of me getting a new car is so I can stop paying £200 per month in hire purchase payments on my current car. There's no benefit in doing this if I have to pay out for expensive repairs, so reliability (and low cost repairs/servicing as and when necessary) is the key.

Your suggestions of different cars have all been noted. I'm trying to narrow it down, but every time I do someone suggests another car, and I think "hey, that looks pretty good!" :D

I'm fairly certain that I don't fancy a Peugeot 106, though. Sorry, Peugeot fans!

Please keep your suggestions and ideas coming! In the meantime, is it a good or bad idea for me to go to an independent car dealership such as Carcraft to see what they have in this price range? Or would I be better sticking to the local paper/eBay and trying to sort it myself? I've got a mate (and several relatives) who are mustard on cars, and know what to look for, so I can get assistance and advice when viewing one. The reason I mention Carcraft, though, is my (possibly inaccurate) assumption that they're more likely to have been serviced efficiently and may come with 12 months MOT.

However, I may be thinking total ********. Advice?

4. cwilso

cwilso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Carcraft lol, Well when I have bought cars I would never goto a dealership or independant garage for one reason I know the trade price and let me teel you the markup if phenominal.
    I think the best thing for you to doi look on ebay, local papers and in autotrader to get an idea of whats out there and what is you, there is alot oout there so research is vital. when you have got 10 cars or more go down to car craft and see what they are like and if you like the inside and shape as looking at a car in the flesh is alot better than a picture. Also note the price carcraft are charging for that sorta car then go back to ebay etc and go from there, you will then know exactly what your looking at and what a well presented one should look like, also you will know what carcraft are charging as a top whack. If you want to know any trade prices just pm me and I will gladly let you know what you should be paying as from ebay I never pay trade which is no where near what a garage charges as retail.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'd keep well away from BMW, Mercedes or any other expensive car on the basis that whilst they might be well engineered when they do go wrong they will cost a packet to put right. No matter how good the car is the catalytic converter will eventually need replacing and will cost a packet on German exotica.

You may not fancy a Peugeot 106 but my advice would be not to restrict yourself to makes or models but to have a good look at everything that is available within your price range and buy the best car that you can find no matter the make.

Three years ago when my wife passed her test and just needed a runabout I looked around at the cheap and cheerfuls and bought her an L registered Fiat Cinqecento for £900 which never put a foot wrong in the two years that she had it and even sailed straight through the MOT whilst my much more expensive Grand Cherokee failed.

Having a quick look at Autrader there are nice cars like 1998 Renault Laguna's and Ford Mondeo's between £1,000 and £1,250 which should suit you quite well.

6. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    You could also look at the Auto Trader that has similar cars that Ian mentioned.;)

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I bought an Alfa 164 a few years ago for about £1000, aside from basic consumables such as tyres etc it has been a cheap car to own and run.

4 people can travel in comfort and the engine sounds fantastic. It is still worth about £1000