1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£1000 Decision Time!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bonfigli, Feb 21, 2005.

1. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have managed to convince the Mrs to up my budget to £1000, you don't want to know what I had to agree to.

After plenty of valuable advice from this board, I have narrowed my option down to an LCD projector!

I like the look of the Hitachi PX-TX100, but could anyone recommend a better/alternative projector for my cash??

And any good retailers would also be appreciated, I'm a bit scared of e_bay purchasing!

Thanking you in advance

Bonfigli

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Predictably, I think the TX100 is a great projector for the money. I've not had an extensive chance to compare it with other machines but put it this way - I wouldn't swap it for an Infocus 4805 (DLP) or a Panasonic AE700, not because I'm saying it's better, just that I'm saying I'm very happy with the TX PQ. The only downside of the Hitachi is the feeble 1 year warranty. Others will point out they've had problems with dust and/or fan noise. All PJs have their strengths / weaknesses / problems, the TX is no more or less problematic than other PJs in the price range.

While I'm typing this I would have expected someone else to say don't discount DLP until you've seen them. And that is good advice albeit perhaps impractical for many.

The main thing to say is that for 1K you'll get a fantastic end result for the money whatever you choose. So go with your gut feel and enjoy.

I bought mine over the internet from crampton & moore.

http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/

Good luck!...PJ

3. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PJTX100,

That's the gentle nudge I think I have been needing. :thumbsup:

I think I could spend another 3 months researching and probably wouldn't have been any closer to making up my mind :)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Now that's decided you just need to decide on screen, mounting bracket etc. And cabling / connectivity of course. Then you'll get to the "is my DVD player good enough?" stage, and the "do I need a sub?" quandry.

It'll be fun, believe me!

...PJ :D

5. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I should take my Mrs advice and just sit closer to the TV..... :)

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :rotfl:

I tried that, the trouble is that in my house the TV is commendeered by the kids so I end up watching Power Rangers at close quarter!
    ...PJ

7. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Have you considered the Sanyo Z2?

It is only £881.25 at this site, and includes a 3 year on site warranty, and a screen (if you can collect). That will leave you plenty of money to get some Mark Grant component cables ;)

http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/sanyo-plv-Z2.htm

Do a search on the company, and I am sure you will see that they are highly regarded on these forums. Incidentially I can't compare it to the Hitachi, as I have not seen that, and I saw the Z2 a while ago now, but it has many fans.

Ricky

8. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Yum,

I have actually thought about the Z2, but I could never make up my mind which one to go for..... I like the idea of a free screen though :¬)

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I rarely comment on which equipment is better and why, but I strongly recommend you go for the Hitachi over the Z2. As an owner of the Z2, who moved to the Hitachi, I can confirm its a better projector in all the important areas, including colours and black levels.

The Z2 is now discontinued, and your investment if buying a new one will depreciate the minute you take it out of the box.

The TX100 is rated alongside the latest crop of projectors, the Z2 is now a generation behind.

I only post this in an effort to protect some of your investment :)

10. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be lost without all this invaluable advice......

On a positive note, I tried out a dlp in work today...... a 30 min headache later, I'm glad I'm going down the LCD route.....

11. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perhaps you could enlighten us all what make/model your work offers ? I'm just suggesting that the Power Point presenting little box of light is unlikely to be a reflection of what a decent DLP can offer, a Texas HD2+ chipset for example.

I would repeat what so many others have time and time again, that on a limited budget LCD is definitely a very convenient and good quality purchase that you will get hours of enjoyment from. For £1k get a great LCD. When you get to mid-range prices (3-4k) the quality of DLP increases such that a more considered decision is required. Above and beyond that budget I know of not many people who would spend that amount of money on an LCD, its the DLPvsCRT debate at those prices.

Good Luck,
    Steve.

12. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just went down and checked it there, it is indeed a multimedia projector acco/nobo X11P to be precise.

I have no doubt a Home Cinema DLP would be of higher quality, I just wanted to comment on how obvious I found the rainbow effect.

It did how ever let me see how bright a 1100 Lumens projector would look with some ambient light, can't complain there. and the 2000:1 Contrast ratio certainly looked good on a white wall.

Still, I think the TX100 is more deserving of my cash at the moment... pity I forgot to budget for a decent screen :(

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well if you make your own the budget can be less than 30 quid...PJ