1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£1000 cash to spend....Which Big TV do i buy?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by straitsman1, Oct 22, 2003.

1. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. Anyone bought....or know any info on which TV rear Pro to buy at the moment? I have seen Thomson,Toshiba,Samsung.......Any recommendations???
    I did own a 48" Black Tosh Rear Pro....but it was 5 years old......so i sold it for £750....now its upgrade time.......
    I am looking to buy at least a 40" RP or...42"RP.....anyone got any recommendations???
    Thanks Baz

2. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is only one to go for...42wh36p

3. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Mammoth....Gonna check that model out.
    Regards Baz

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    try looking in this months home cinema choice, it features a new 42" rear pro for sub £1k.

S.

5. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Check in the bargains. I have listed a place that sells the 42wh36 for £1019 !

6. Morbius

Morbius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scoobyz

Is the 42wh36 the best 42" available. I am looking to buy soon, but I cannot find a set to look at yet.

Thanks for any advice

7. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I get mine on tueday and am told its the one to have. I looked at the model in currys (50hz) and thought the pic looked fine even in there.

Scoobs

8. Morbius

Morbius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

ordered one too. I am told will be with me in a couple of weeks.

can't wait

9. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi ScoobyZ. Did you get yours on Tuesday??? I actually visited the shop (i live only 20 miles away)....and mine is due for delivery on Thursday this week.
    Regards Baz

10. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yep got mine well chuffed with it. Makes my 28" widescreen look like a portable :)

They only sent one guy to deliver it though and my missus had to help get it in !!

Scooby

11. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh....We are sick of watching our 21" portable (our bedroom set)....whilst waiting for the "Biggie" to arrive.....and after having a Toshiba 48" (old style)...which we sold about a month back.....watching a 21" is giving me an headache!!!
    :suicide:
    Cant wait till Thursdays delivery......i am on a few days Holiday.....so if they send it with just one man to deliver it......i"ll help it in!!!!:laugh:

12. silverpenguin

silverpenguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the PQ on the 100hz 42WH36 good?? Can you switch the 100hz off? I have read a really negative post from an owner on the dvd forums which has put me off a little. Yet Monster has made a post here praising the new 51" version which I assume would behave much the same as the 42"??

I am really thinking about getting this tv as I much prefer the look of it over the older model, but if the PQ is not as good as the older version I wont.

13. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All. My WH36 arrived this morning....and its superb.....well chuffed with it. I think the picture quality is very good......many adjustments/functions can be changed to suit individual tastes......but after reading another post about "set up"......keeping the contrast/brightness down is beneficial....the picture looks brilliant.
    Yo ScoobyZ.....luckily...2 guys delivered it......so the missus didnt have to help them "get it in" lol
    Thanks to all above for recommendations.Cheers!!
    :smashin:
    Baz

14. silverpenguin

silverpenguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! How does the 100hz look? And how far from the tv are you sitting?

ooooh I want this set :D

15. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya: Silverpenguin.
    The "ScanMode" setting gives you the following options:
    1.100Hz
    2.Normal
    3.Progressive
    4.Natural
    5.Active
    I have it on "normal"......although having only had the set for a day......i am still fiddling with it:) The 100Hz is very good ....colours defined....vivid....tone of picture is all excellent.....i am just in the process of deciding which "Tone" of setting i like best.....but its all good news lol.
    A guest poster on here called Nathan_Silly.....has posted good advice on the best picture settings......and basically he advises to keep contrast/brightness low.Scroll down the postings to about page 3.....you will then see a title "Convergence settings on a Toshiba WH36".....posted by "Toadie"
    I previously owned a Toshiba 48" rear Pro (5 year old/black/old square screen)....and in 5 years i owned it ....i had cause only once to have an engineer call out.....even that was a minor problem.I recently sold it.....to upgrade to a silver widescreen Toshiba.....hence me now buying this Toshiba WH36.....Its taken weeks of looking in shops for a replacement.....Sony,Samsung,LG,Thomson....i have demoed in my home a Samsung 42".....that went back.....the convergence red colour would not "right"....and continued to stray all over edges of people/picture/and any numbers that came on the screen.I even demoed another Toshiba 42" (earlier model ).....that went back...it was a "Managers Special" in Comet....... i think it was a display model.....and when i got it home i noticed it had ingrained lines on the screen.....I got my money back.Ive since learned it had been permanantly "switched on" in the shop for 6 months!!!!
    I then demoed a Thompson......that was a very nice set......but when it was delivered i noticed the back on the set was HUGE!!!..and it wasnt suitable in our living room......i think the rear of that set was 28" DEEP!!!!:eek: My old Toshiba was only 20"......and that was a 48" TV!!!
    Anyway all in all.....after mammoth (above) mentioned this set........i checked it out......and now i couldnt be happier....its a brilliant set.
    We are having our house fully rewired next Monday onwards.....so i cant "Hook it up" to my Yam AX1 home amp yet.....
    Ive rambled a bit here.....but all in all i highly recommend this set.
    Regards Baz

:smashin:

16. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its great to hear people happy with their purchase. There hasnt been a bad word about this set yet.

17. silverpenguin

silverpenguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: thanks for the reply.

Went to have another look in a new Currys today, they also had a 42PW23 which had a STUNNING picture, it was on 4x3 mode and looked as sharp as any CRT I have seen. They had the WH36 up high but as usual had a rubbish feed going through it so you couldn't compare it to the PW23 (the PW had a totally different source going in to it than all the other tv's!) as it was all grainy and soft! :mad:

BUT, if its as good as the PW23 then WOOHOO!!

One of the mags is doing a Toshiba/Sony rear pro test in the next issue so I am hoping its this tv in the test :)