• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

£1000 budget but what technology to go for?

M

mrbcool

Ok, after spending sometime on this forum I’m no close to deciding what I need, I basically have around £1000 to spend on a TV items, to do the following:

- freeview TV
- DVD (PAL&NTSC)
- xbox (chipped)
- xbox 360 in best possible res
- occasional PC connection
- HD-DVD/Blue Ray
- HTDV

The last two will be when the technologies are ready. I currently have a old Sanyo projector for watching movies & PC use and a 25” CRT for the TV and xbox.
I was planning on buying a £500 Epson TW10H projector and a Samsung 26” LCD TV but now I’m not sure! I want to be fully HD ready and be able to play the xbox 360 via a quality screen, either the projector or the LCD depending on occasion.

I really enjoy watching movies on the PJ at the moment as the size is great, and as I'm only home during the evening its normally dark and therefore not a problem with the light etc.

What would you guys go for? I could spend more a decent LCD, or just buy a 28” CRT and spend the rest on a better projector? I’ve kind of ruled out plasma as read you need to spend a lot to get a proper HD one, not scaled down etc.

Such confusion! It always seems there is a downside to some product.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Look at DLP. :)

M

mrbcool

which projector though is truely HD ready, i.e 720i, 1080p etc?

Apparently the epson is not, and I cant imagine the Interfocus 4805 is ether as resolution doesnt seem high enough? I basically will probably need 2x items, if I can get a HD projector for sub £800 then I can spend the rest on a basic CRT for watching freeview etc.

The Samsung 32" is tempting but I'm not sure it will be big enough for movies as I currently use a projector. Also IMO all LCD's seem to look pretty poor for freeview and some gaming on normal 480 stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom