£1000 5.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GuitarGuy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    My friend is wondering what the best 5.1 speakers he could buy for the money, he has the same amount again so spend on a reciever as well so £2000 for reciever and speakers? We were looking at the B+W MT50 and that looked good?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    With a £2k total budget I would look to spend £500-600 on the receiver and the rest on the speakers as this will give you the best sound for the money. If they act quickly then you could get the Yamaha A810 which would pair very well with the B&W speakers they are looking at. However, if looking at the MT50 package I would suggest getting 5 M1s and then getting a BK Electronics sub with the money left over. This will get you a much better sub since B&W are not known for making good value subs. Do the speakers have to be small? If not then the Monitor Audio BX range would be well worth a look as well.

3. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I know frank harvey hifi have a white ex demo monitor audio apex pack for 1500.00.

Or: Monitor Audio R270HD Package £899

Wont do better than that IMO

4. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    Up to around the £1k mark, the Pioneer SCLX56 and Onkyo TXNR818 will be the two to look out for. The Pioneer offers a very clean, clear soundstage with Class D amplification that offers excellent drive, and the Onkyo majors on it's excellent Audyssey XT32 room EQ.

As for speakers, the B&W MT50 and KEF KHT3005se are two of the best speaker packages out there. The KEF has excellent imaging, soundstaging, and effects placement, and the B&W will have superior music performance. You may also pick up one of the Monitor Audio Radius HD packages in B Grade (cosmetically imperfect) for under £1k too. The Radius packages are probably one of the best AV packages for a combination of music and movie performance for the price, and especially at B Grade prices.

5. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Thanks for all these guys, ill look through them with him tomorrow

6. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    For me, that Radius package would be the winner based upon your budget... it's a bargain!

7. bonsai

bonsai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i saw my system from sevenoaks(i think) for under £1400......absolute bargain:thumbsup:

8. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    Monitor audio radius and anthem mrx300 are certainly worth consideration IMO.

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,162
    I'm inclined to agree with other. The Monitor Audio Radius HD are definitely worth a look. They are very compact, and mount easily on the wall, and if you look at the specs, they are about the equal of a good Bookshelf speaker.

Here is a link -

Radius HD | Products | Monitor Audio

Shift the Slider Bar just under the photos to see the rest of the speakers.

For Front and Center, any combination of the Radius 250 or the slightly smaller Radius 225 will do. To illustrate, Front R250 + Center R225. Though R250 Front + R250 center is just as workable. As is R270 front and R250 or R225 for the Center.

Low end frequency response on the R250 is 50hz which is impressive for this speaker. The Low end for the R225 is 55hz, which is still pretty good.

I think, they are going to push your budget. But I personally don't recommend any Satellite speakers. They are OK for movies, but they can't cut it for music. I would prefer minimum Bookshelf in the front, but to each his own.

Here is a very highly rated bookshelf system, just so you can see what the options are -

Dali Zensor 1 5.1 Speaker Package at Audio Affair

The included DALI E-12-F subwoofer is about £479, you could probably drop that and get a well Regarded BK ELECTRONICS Sub for less -

BK ELECTRONICS - Subwoofers

Depending on your room, the BK XLS200 which comes in front firing and down firing, priced at £314.

Again, you haven't said why you want or need Satellite speakers. If you really and truly need them, then fine, but if you are looking at them simply because you think that is what a home AV system looks like, then you should at least weigh other options.

As another example, here is a modest floorstanding system based around the Wharfedale Diamond 10.4.

£329/pr = Diamond 10.4, Front, 2x 5" bass, 38hz
    £144/ea = Diamond 10.CS Center, 2x 5"
    £109/pr = Diamond 10.0 bookshelf, 1x 4" bass
    ---------------
    £582 = Total

Plus whatever Subwoofer you choose.

Substituting the Diamond 10.2 Bookshelf for the floorstanding Diamond 10.4 comes to £472.

Again, I'm just trying to get you to look at the range of possibilities. I'm sure there are many other choices, and also many other worthy Satellite speakers to consider. But, give some thought to what you really want and need. If music is important then that very much pushes you more toward bookshelf and floorstanding. If this is a pure movies only system, Satellite should be fine.

Give it some thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  10. bonsai

bonsai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    +1 for adding floorstanders or bookshelf.

i'm looking at intregrating front L/R bookshelf speakers into my system as my kef's arn't realy cutting it for cd playback.