1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£1000/2000 to spend on a screen, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Marc Sinclair, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Marc Sinclair

Marc Sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been made redundant after 14 years and got some severance pay...My wife and I figured it might be a good idea to buy a new set whilst we can.
    I am new to the wide screen TV game, but FWIW, I have a bit of experience with quality PC CRT monitors (know about resolution/refresh rates/pixels/colors/shadow mask/aperture grills etc)

Ideally I am looking for a wide screen and it really has to be no smaller than 36"(ideally the bigger the better in WS). I can go up to £2000.

I’ve seen a few LCD's and plasma screens in various shops and I was extremely disappointed in their picture quality (large pixels and pixelation around moving objects etc).
    From reading some of the threads here, it would seem that £2000 would buy a low end Plasma/LCD and a good quality CRT TV in the 36" range...

I’ve read that a few chaps have been recommending the Panasonic TX-36PL32, which the likes of curries do for £935.99...

I have considered the massive back projector TV's just because the screen sizes are just wonderful, but their footprint requires space and I am not sure on the quality factor.

I live in London and can make it down to Sony centre and all the myriad of Hifi shops for some window shopping but there most probably is a load of variations in the way certain sets are setup, tuned or not tuned, positioned, input signals etc, that it might be somewhat hard to make an informed decision...That is why I am happy to have found this forum :)

Another thing I find rather disappointing is the actual size of a 36" "wide screen" TV if one compared it to a standard 36 one; the real-estate just shrinks dramatically, especially in the height department; I know that our eyes are designed for the wide screen format and I am not complaining about that, it's just that, IMHO, you really need to buy a lot bigger if you want to make the most WS and get a good visual experience.

Sorry for the gibberish and ramblings... :)

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

2. Marc Sinclair

Marc Sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Marc,

Whichever TV you decide on, see if you can get it from John Lewis.

A look through this Forum will show how highly thought of they are.

Good luck!

4. Marc Sinclair

Marc Sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice about JL TG :)

I know they have a price match system and they have a good track record.

Cheers

PS, infact, the rear projectors are quit thin when compared to the thick/ heavy large CRT's...Just that they blot out a lot of space under the actual screen.
    One day our walls will have an intelligent paint that will be able to display anything from backgound "screen savers", Tv, news, internet, pictures, video...