1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£100-150 budget, floor standing or bookshelf?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dock, Mar 2, 2003.

1. dock

dock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need a pair of speakers for my Teac Reference 350 setup. I want them in either beech/birch, or silver.. no black speakers please. I have a budget of about £100-160, including stands.

Originally I was going to go for a pair of Tannoy MX2, and then later decided to go for Gale Gold Monitor MK2 (from Richer).

Now I'm tempted by the Acoustic Solutions M100
    Acoustic Solutions M100 BEECH (Per Pair) - The have twin bass speakers, and look nice. They're biwireable too.

However, I'm not sure about floor standing speakers at all. I have room for them at the moment, but will they be a pain if I come to move to a small apartment later this year (which I plan to)? Is the sound improvement worthwhile? Etc etc. I have concerns about portability, basically. My Computer, my Teac, most of the things I own are bought on the basis of being convenient to transport if I needed to. That said, I could theoretically just pick up another pair of speakers if I found I didn't have room. We're not looking at top end stuff :)

Anyway, I'd like advice for the style concious budget audio beginner. :)

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Most budget floorstanding speakers are just stand mount speakers with an extra bit of wood tacked onto the bottom. Often these sound worse than the equivilent stand mount on good stands (costing in total around the same).

Listen to both before deciding.

3. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Listened to M72is? Can be got for under £150 without much difficulty.

Floorstanders are a pain to shift around and they are really obtrusive. You'll find yourself telling people to stop kicking them/leaning on them all the time.

The bass is worth it on the right model tho - M72i belonging to a mate get eaten by my year old M73s without even trying.

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also consider the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo one. These can be picked up at a street price near your target price and are quite decent standmounts IMO