• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

£100- £200 laptop

caribb88

Standard Member
Just looking for a real basic laptop to be used for a bit of work whats a decent laptop been looking on laptop direct and they all seem to be fairly good just wondering do you have to buy the internet connection (internet explorer) and windows media player there the main 1s we want
cheers any advice would be grateful

macleod.mac

You won't really get a proper laptop for £100-200 new from a place like Laptops Direct or really any other online place.

FYI Windows Media Player is freeware - you can download it for any Windows PC and doesn't have to come with the computer.

Internet Explorer also comes free with any new Windows Computer. However the internet connection is completely different - that's the lead that connects to your phone line or broadband line (usually via a router) from the back of your computer in layman's terms. Internet Explorer is simply a one of a number of pieces of free software that you can get to browse the internet on your machine.

caribb88

Standard Member
thanks for the advice i was looking at the asus eee pc and the acer aspire pc which is a little dearer but whats the difference is it just the power

caribb88

Standard Member
just really looking to download limewire then put it onto a disk i dont think the ones i have mentioned have cd drives so can i transfer the downloaded music onto usb

macleod.mac

They are completely different!

For a start the Acer has a either 8" or 6" bigger screen, at least 70gb bigger hard drive (comparing max 12gb with min 80gb), probably more RAM plus a full size keyboard which is going to be necessary if you want to use it practically and often. Watching a video would be silly on a 7" or 9" screen (the Eee). The Eee is more portable, however. Also the Acer has a CD drive so you can "download limewire onto it" if you so wish, whatever that means.

(BTW Personally, I'd never buy an Acer, just my pet hate, but in this case its better than an Eee for what you intend to use it for in your price range.)

funkyspider

Yes you can put the music onto a USB stick from the Eee style PC's without a DVD writer, or you can buy an external DVD Writer which plugs into the USB for 30quid or so if you want to burn your own CD/DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom