£10 for SKY HD Subscription !!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DPB1, Feb 5, 2009.

1. DPB1

DPB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    £10 for SKY HD Subscription !!!

When will Sky drop the £10 extra charge for a HD subscription ?

They did this with the original SKY + box but then dropped it. will they do the same with HD ?

I currently have the regular SKY + box but would like HD but am not willing to pay an extra £10 per month for a few channels in HD. The full subscription in any case is nearly £50 per month which would be upped to £60 for HD !!

Come on Sky - You've dropped the price of the HD box to £49. Now get rid of the extra £10 per month subscription and you will have a lot more happy customers !!

2. Juzzy

Juzzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I spoke to Sky CS yesterday they said, they dropped the sky+ charge (a little differnetly applied) so it is possible. But she wouldn't confirm it would happen any time soon.

3. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Have a look here ... the search button is your friend! :thumbsup:

ATB

Max

4. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187

Why should 7 million people subsidise what is still a minority service? The whole point behind dropping the price of the HD was was due to the sub and it's 12 month contract. Drop the sub and the price of the box will increase!

5. hilly10

hilly10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

There are more then a few channels now. In the region of 25 if you have sport and movies

6. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Time for my by now in these threads obligatory....

They could start by dropping the £10 pm (although it is £9.75 pm actually, BTW) sub for multiroom. That is unjustified.

The first sub is perfectly fair as stated above.

7. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Come on Aston Martin!!! I really want one of your cars, if you dropped the price to £15000 then you'd have a lot of happy customers!!

Ok, maybe it's not right to compare SkyHD to an Aston but the point stays the same............If you want a premium product/service then guess what..........You pay for it!!

I really get sick of people trying to brew up a storm by saying that HD content should be free, It costs more money to get it to your screens so needs paying for......Deal with it! (extra sub for multiroom HD boxes I agree is a bit ott)

Or stick with the "HD should be free", pay your £200 for a Freesat HD box + £100 installation and enjoy the MASSIVE amount of superb HD content to your TV

8. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I think it's actually 30 or 31.

9. DPB1

DPB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was only trying to get over the fact that Sky charge the earth anyway for their services and always increase them every year. A total charge of £60 per month for tv is silly money. Compare this to freeview where there is no charge (admittedly you do get a lot more channels with SKY, but lets face it how many channels do you actually watch !).

May be that FREESAT may force Sky to rethink their options for the future.

As I say I was only trying to get over the fact that SKY do indeed OVERCHARGE for their service !

10. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Why should it ? Why is Freesat a threat with two part time HD channels ?

Sky could stop Freesat in its tracks tommorow if they wanted.

No, the only fact you know, it that YOU think sky overcharge. Given their levels of profit, it doesn't look like gross overcharging from where I'm sat.

11. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    In your opinion. Not necessarily the opinion of the majority. I think that Sky's charge is more than reasonable for the amount of TV they give you. Certainly not the earth. You can spend more than the cost of a month's Sky TV on a single meal out, or a night out.

Subscription TV is a luxury - if it becomes too expensive for you, consider dropping that luxury, or at least cutting back. If the rest of the country agreed with you and said it was silly money (and more importantly, stopped paying it) then Sky may have to reconsider. But as everybody is aware, Sky are being inundated with new customers trying to sign up, and with existing customers desparate to buy the Sky+ HD box and sign up to pay an extra tenner a month for the HD Pack. So most people think that it isn't silly money.

12. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,536

I disagree. Some background first. I was setting up an HTPC and decided to go the freesat route at the time of the Olympic Games. It dawned on me after the closing ceremony just how much tat you get on free HD. BBC HD is 90% repeats and previews. ITV HD.... enough said, I just will not go there. Lux HD.......:rotfl:

The remainder of the channels are pretty basic, some of the kids channels are ok, my little lad enjoyed pop and Kixx.

Last week I was sitting with my wife looking through the programme guide and once again all I could say to her was...... nothing on tv tonight. And we have had that conversation many many times.

Before hooking up with the sky subscription, we looked through the TV guide and there was always something that caught our attention.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. There is no alternative to Sky's HD content so I don't think it could be considered overpriced. All of the HD content is available in SD channels so nobody is forced to pay the subscription.

Thats my opinion anyway.

13. Dave_nt

Dave_nt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yeah, SKY must be so worried with the vast HD showing on Freesat.

I ACTUALLY watch the premium channels I pay for. That's why I pay for them!

Why do you have SKY+ if you can make do with Freeview???????

14. srhill

srhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    not that many - however most of those I watch are not available on freesat, freeview or any other platform except sky!

15. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Very few in my case. But at least 75% of my viewing is pay channels.

The whole point of Sky is to give choice. I read loads of posts, where people talk about various channels they watch and I can honestly say I have never switched them on for five seconds.

Dave, Living, Paramount, Hallmark, come to mind. I've never watched them. But then I watch a fair amount of Sky Arts, which not many others do!!