£10,000 fine for speeding?

Totally disproportionate. If you kill someone from speeding, there is already a more severe and appropriate sentence with custodial sentences on the table.

£10,000 for a victimless crime? Insanity.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
So how could you get the "Maximum" Fine ? 100 ? 120? 140? I have no idea.

loz

I imagine it could result in overcrowding prisons, or even suicide. This is just unacceptable.
Or perhaps it could result in people not breaking the speed limit? :lesson:

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime... Isn't that their justification for the increase?

wiz

Distinguished Member
Throw them in gaol as well! ;)

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime... Isn't that their justification for the increase?
I would imagine the justification is two-fold:

1. Catchy headline. Tough on crime. Makes the government look like they are doing something

2. Increased revenue from fines.

I would wager it will have zero affect on the number of people caught speeding.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I would imagine the justification is two-fold:

1. Catchy headline. Tough on crime. Makes the government look like they are doing something

2. Increased revenue from fines.

I would wager it will have zero affect on the number of people caught speeding.
True this and Goves 'British Values' is the first salvo in the tories attempt at attracting back their supporters who've gone over to UKIP

There aren't enough police patrols to make a difference for a start.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
As discussed in the other thread, these fines only come into possible play if you fight a fixed penalty notice.
Still bloody ridiculous though, as it will deter people from fighting.
Being 'bullied' into accepting a fixed penalty notice you may have otherwise fought is ridiculous.

"Yes, you can object to Jim kicking you in the goolies
But if I agree Jim's decision was correct, the punishment may increase to death"

What the hell??

liamt

ah, i thought it might be to stop the super rich from speeding. lets face it a £100 fine isnt going to deter them is it? i always thought that fines should be proportionate to wealth. for example a millionnaire getting a 10k fine will hit them less than some of my mates having to pay £10.

Still bloody ridiculous though, as it will deter people from fighting.
A very good point and another demonstration of the current government making justice even less accessible for the poor or average income citizen.

The message here is: If you're poor, bend over, drop your trousers, pay the fine and fudge off. How dare you challenge the state? If you're rich, lawyer up, no fine for you.

liamt

to be fair, what else do you expect from this lot of privileged daddy's boys?

Sonic67

Banned
Maximum motorway speeding fine set to rocket to £10,000 - Telegraph

How many could afford to pay?

I imagine it could result in overcrowding prisons, or even suicide. This is just unacceptable.
??? It's the maximum.

It means magistrates have greater powers before feeling they don't have sufficient power and have to hand it to a crown court instead.

It might also be handed out to a Premiership footballer doing 200mph on a motorway who otherwise due to his salary will speed around everywhere not caring and paying fines like parking tickets.

In reality cases are heard in a magistrates court if you wish to avoid a fixed fine and your circumstances are taken into account.

Also if you can't afford to pay you could just stick to the law. I wouldn't like to go to prison so I tend to avoid killing people regardless of what the voices say.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Please, spare me the 'stick to the law' stuff.
Wrongful notices of intended prosecution are sent out to innocent parties all the time.
What this is doing is scaring people into accepting them, rather than fighting them.

loz

Please, spare me the 'stick to the law' stuff.
Wrongful notices of intended prosecution are sent out to innocent parties all the time.
What this is doing is scaring people into accepting them, rather than fighting them.
You make it sound like an everyday occurrence.

Amongst my circle of friends and family, I have never heard of it happening once.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
ah, i thought it might be to stop the super rich from speeding. lets face it a £100 fine isnt going to deter them is it? i always thought that fines should be proportionate to wealth. for example a millionnaire getting a 10k fine will hit them less than some of my mates having to pay £10.
Problem is £10k , would have no effect on the super rich, £100k would barely make even pro footballers wince.

liamt

Don't speed
its not always that easy though. my last ticket (7 years ago) was when they changed a road overnight from 40 to 30. then had some copper sat there nicking people. i didnt even see the new sign as it was partially hidden by a tree and i wasnt looking for it anyway. i had driven that road hundreds of times as it was on the route to work.

liamt

Problem is £10k , would have no effect on the super rich, £100k would barely make even pro footballers wince.
true, but i think its more fair than we have now.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
its not always that easy though. my last ticket (7 years ago) was when they changed a road overnight from 40 to 30. then had some copper sat there nicking people. i didnt even see the new sign as it was partially hidden by a tree and i wasnt looking for it anyway. i had driven that road hundreds of times as it was on the route to work.
So not a motorway then?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett