1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£ 1500 Budget At Comet

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by anuvid, Jan 16, 2005.

1. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so money's tight, 7 month old baby, about to change jobs etc. I have £1100 of Comet vouchers to replace my 40" Tosh rear projection with. Aiming at a budget of £ 1500ish.

It'll be the main set for Sky (don't have terrestrial), DVD and Xbox. Have a prog scan DVD Recorder too.

See no point in doubling my budget to be hi-def ready. I'll buy another set nearer the time and give this to my parents.

Reasonable viewing, good product support from the manufacturer, and wall mounting are what I need. An external tuner box would suit me better than built in Scarts as I'm wall mounting this above the fireplace and want to minimize cabling. Would sacrifice external box for a better plasma.

Also if anyone knows of an affiliate/discount link for Comet all the better.

The current choices within price range are:

HYUNDAI HPT-4240 42" widescreen plasma tv £1299.99
    HISENSE PDP4211EU 42" widescreen plasma tv £1299.99
    LG RZ 42PX11 42" widescreen plasma tv £1449.99
    JVC LT32C31SJE 32" widescreen lcd tv - web only £ 1499
    SAMSUNG PS42V4SX/XEU 42" widescreen plasma tv £1699.99

2. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, was considering the Grundig at Argos for £ 999 as Homecinema mag said it was ok. But then Argos bumped it up to £1200 again,. and these vouchers I have came into play, so Comet it is. Regrettably. Not worth selling the vouchers for under a grand, so Comet it is.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    go for the LG gets good reviews and fits budget...has all you need....much better than the Hynundai and Hisense......

4. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, LG is the best out ouf those. I had the Samsung, but it was VERY unreliable - broke after 1 week of use. The replacement broke after 2-3 weeks with the same fault. The people who sold it to me told me that lots of people had been returning them, so my suggestion is to stay clear of it!

5. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. WHat are the downsides to the LG ? And does anyone strongly disagree with the view that £ 1500 on a plasma to pass down to my parents when Hi Def comes along is ok ? I mean I'm pretty sure Hi Def sets will be available by then for the extra £ 1500 I'd have to spend now.

6. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is £1500 your absolute limit? For just a little more, you could have an NEC which is supposed to be very good, or if you can stretch a little further, the PWD6 or PWD7 are probably the best out there and still under £2000.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    butnot a comet..... £2k gets you a veira 37" from comet if you can find stock....

8. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you're saying and that's my dilemma. The way I view it now there are three price bands. £ 1500 and under gets you a reasonable plasma replacement for your TV with no future proofing, and non-prestige brands. £ 2000-3,5000 gets you the desirable makes with future proofing (though how much is arguable with Hi Def standards and how they're delivered being subject to confirmation), and then 3,500 plus gets you all sorts of sizes and bells and whistles.

I guess having an £ 1100 headstart at Comet (my least favourite TV retailer) makes me think save the extra money until Hi Def is out when I'm sure Hi Def sets will be available at well under £ 1000 and probably LCD screens will be comparable too.

So adding £ 400 now for something like the LG vs adding £900 to £ 1400 now seems pointless when all the features I'm missing from the LG will be available and confirmed in terms of what's needed in terms of Hi Def will be easy to find for £ 900 to £ 1400.

Basically, as I'm replacing a living room TV, something like a PW6 - whilst offering an astounding picture still needs speakers and other bits to make it fully functional as a replacement and could end up doubling my budget and still leaving me with Comet vouchers.

EVen £ 900 extra for a 37" Viera seems excessive.

Opinions welcome - I'm just an amateur :)

9. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do still appreciate everyone's views though. Thanks for your time.

10. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I could stretch to over £ 1500 what did you have in mind Peabo ?

12. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'd imagine any Panasonic set would be very expensive in Comet, I think the Viera (TH42PE30) is around £2500 which is essentially a PWD6 which you can find elsewhere for around £1600-£1800 fully kitted out. The best sets are Panasonic, Pioneer and Hitachi I think. Some people also speak quite highly of NEC. I can only really advise you on the Panny as that's what I have right now. I can tell you it's much better quality than the Samsung you looked at.

Maybe you should spend those vouchers on a really good surround sound home cinema system at Comet and buy a PWD7 from AV-Sales ;) It depends what you're going to be using the plasma for and how enthusiastic you are about having a really awesome setup!

The LG is the best of the bunch which you listed and quite a few people seem happy with it. I can't comment myself as I haven't seen one, but I'd imagine it's similar to the Samsung which I myself used to own.

13. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, so you have the Panny and the Samsung :) You're doing ok in your house.

As I said before, even if I bought the PW6 I'd have to buy other accessories which would bump this up. I already have a surround sound setup, and really can't spend the vouchers on anything other than the plasma.

I've a baby, another planned, am about to change jobs and take a huge income drop, and the wife also managed to back the 4wd into the Merc yesterday - and I won't be getting that done under the insurance !

I think I'll have to stick with the LG by the sound of it !

People seem happy with the current incarnation of the LG though I gather an earlier firmware version is sold under the same model name, but with a much lower contrast ratio. Wonder how helpful those Comet monkeys will be on which firmware version they'll send me.

Plus I have to go through the website, and the shops won't pricematch the site.

14. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, you made the right choice, I think!
    I don't have the Samsung AND the PWD6 by the way. The Samsung broke on me and so did its replacement (with the same fault). I got a refund and bought the Panny with that :)

15. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After seeking advice from these forums I settled on the LG and have no regrets. Good picture straight out of the box which is easily improved following reccomendations on this forum.

16. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have photos of the LG and their setups they could send me ? I'm struggling to find a decent pic. Midiman I read somewhere on here that the contrast ration can vary and although several people have received LG 42PX11 models, different software versions provide different actual contrast ratios. Are blacks black ? Actually I'll start a new thread on this.