£ 1500 at Comet - No More

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by anuvid, May 2, 2005.

1. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For various reasons I'm replacing a rear projection 40" Toshiba with a plasma or LCD and it has to be from Comet and has to be £ 1500 or less. Running Sky and DVD mainly. PC would be a bonus as would Xbox.

LG RZ 42PX11 is £ 1404 and 42" plasma
    THOMSON 37PB220S4 is £ 1499 and 37" plasma
    SONY KLV-L32M1S is £ 1438 and a 32" LCD

Thomson claims to be Hi Def ready including HDCP on the DVI port I think it said. It claims to be 1024 x 1024 though the blurb is a little vague about whether this involves interlacing of some sort. Can't find a review on it.

What do you recommend, and do you recommend the extortionate £ 400 3yr warranty at Comet, only I'd be gutted if it failed after 12 months. I'll be replacing with proper hi def once standards sort themselves out, in a year's time or so.

Not willing to stretch to the £ 1850 for the 37" Vierra with stand and DVD recorder.

Advice appreciated.

2. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and by the way, my main concern with the Thomson is it's 1000:1 instead of the LG's 3000:1 but no idea what real world difference this makes.

3. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i would go for the the LG ( as i have one, but not from comet ) as you want to use the PC on it(dvi) it will work great and perform well for you :clap: the lg has 2 years standard warranty on it i think :D and the lg is now 5000 :eek:

4. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    yep just to confirm with highlander
    lg is 5000:1 contrast
    has all connections
    great pic quality on newer models (ver 5+ and the odd few before that)
    and comes with 2year warranty as standard outta the box so stuff their robbery of a warranty!
    ps see if they will price match u may be able to get it down by another £200
    pps y must it be from this store?? cos if u got it from jl ud get free 5 yr warranty

5. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh unfortunately I have vouchers for Comet, and with a house move coming up don't feel it's worth spending more. 3000:1 is the contrast quoted on Comet's site. Maybe it's not updated or maybe they have old stock. I'll check the warranty too.

So steer clear of the Thomson is the message I'm getting !

6. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, they do pricematch but who is selling it for £ 200 less ? I know the stores pricematch. Not sure about the website.

Quoting the site:

If you find a product on our website priced lower on Argos.co.uk, CarphoneWarehouse.com, Currys.co.uk, Dixons.co.uk, JohnLewis.com, PCworld.co.uk, Tesco.com/electrical and TheLink.com or in a local store (a store within 10 miles of your nearest Comet store), we'll not only match the price but also beat it by 10% of the difference. For purchases completed over the telephone the store must be within 10 miles of your home post code area.

We Do Not Match
    Warehouse clubs or any retail club requiring membership.
    Mail order and internet companies other than those listed.
    Warranty prices, as no competitors' warranty is directly comparable to our own. We check the online prices of Argos.co.uk, CarphoneWarehouse.com, Currys.co.uk, Dixons.co.uk, JohnLewis.com, PCworld.co.uk, Tesco.com/electrical and TheLink.com. These are indicated as Special online prices and are not available in store.

7. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the store today and nearly bought a 42" Sony Plasma. £ 1999 on the Comet website and £ 2400 instore. They wouldn't price match their own website, and though Curry's next door had £ 2400 as the sticker price, they price matched the Comet website, but Comet wouldn't then pricematch Currys. All very silly. They lost a sale. What really winds me up is they'[ll only price match a store that has the set in stock - whereas none of the Comets have any stocks of the Vierra or SOny I tried to buy today.

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    well john lewis would price match crampton and moore in sheffield (shop and web based) so get them to agree to the price match then with the proof get comet to price match them!
    and if they price match jl tell em you want the 5 year warranty thats free so therefore theres no warranty price to match as its free ;)
    or really look into the jl warranty and compare it in detail to comets own, if there is no difference then tell em you want that as they said they dont price match warrantys because none is directly compariable, so find one that you can! :devil:

and just re reading it says will not match any mail/web companies other than those listed! so surely they can match currys web price? or they breaking there own rules??
    and no where does it say will not price match other stores! just that they will not price match other web/mail based shops that those listed!

it would just be a shame to watch you pay for your panel (at an ok price admitedly) and to then pay for their warranty on top when u couild get it cheaper at jl by getting them to price match crampton and moore and get a 5 year warranty included!

how bout getting jl to price match c&m for you (theyll want to contact you back with an answer so you dont need to purchase there and then) then sell your vouchers for comet at reduced price, ie the price of the panel from jl, so in thoery class it as your only paying £150 or so (the difference between the value of vouchers and cost of panel from jl) for a 5 year warranty

heres [email protected] link
    http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/shop/

9. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a good idea the selling the vouchers thing. I thought of it before, and tried selling on the Bay, expecting a good price for them, as I've seen £ 50 of M&S vouchesr sell for for £ 48 on the bay. But there were no takers for the lot at a sensible price. If I sold them in bundles of £ 50 I'd get a great price,. But on £ 1138 worth I was bing offered like £ 800. Which is silly - would rather pay cash for a plasma and then fit out my new kitchen with the vouchers.

I've bitten the bullet and placed an order for it at £ 1400 online with Comet.

The stores really annoyed me when I spent an hour going through price matches which they wouldn't do. I explained if they couldn't match their own web price I'd be better off saving a few hundred quid ordering from Comet online but I'd rather have one there and then that I could take home. Then agreed a deal on a 37" Vierra with stand and DVD recorder for £ 1850. They argued the free stand was a pedestal stand despite the website clearly stating cabinet stand. Eventually I agreed a deal and they didn't have it in stock. In fact they had nothing in stock and spent 15 minutes trying to convince me to order and await delivery - despite the fact I'd made it clear the whole reason I was paying store rather than web price was to take it home.

Then I thought I might agree a deal as they could deliver in two days, supposedly, but they then asked for £ 20 delivery. I nearly clubbed the manager. I can't take it home with me because you don't have stock, and BECAUSE you don't have stock I have to pay £ 20 for you to get stock.

I hate Comet. What a bunch of numptees.

10. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a loophole. I recently purchased a Hitachi 42PD5200 from them. It went faulty within 2 weeks! I had payed with £1000 comet vouchers and the rest on a 2 year interest free credit. So when I went back for my refund, I was told that the headoffice would actually send me a personal chque back for the voucher ammount!! I was a happy man! Their policy seems to be that large ammounts are refunded back via a headoffice cheuqe.

I suggest that you buy your TV and at the time ask them, if u wanted a refund how will it take place?? When it arrives don't open it and just say to them you want a refund. Hopefully you will get a personal cheque. Please make sure before you purchase tho.

11. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    i agree with madness!
    ok it may take a week but will be worth it!
    take delivery return it next day with your receipt and demand full refund via cash/check!
    if they try giving you vouchers back just say there is nothing i want in this store! are you telling me i can only have my money back so long as i spend it in this store!!!
    make a scene at the desk theyl give in it worked for me before when i tried getting a deposit baqck and they would only giv me credit note, i said there is nothing at all i want/need in the store etc etc as i mentioned above it worked, got my cash, ok was told my custom would not be wanted in the store again but who would want to go back when you know what uv gotta do to get ur cash back.

so get ur cash back get jl to price match the lg save yourself ome doh, get a good tv, plus a good 5 year warranty and apparently jl's cust service and returns policy is very good

12. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, but I really don't think a scene need to be made. I belive it is their standard policy to refund via a head office cheque.

13. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    well thats 1 if perhaps the only benefit from buying from large chain,
    mine was from a franchise that use the name of a group of companies but are independants.
    they said they would price match any price and i put deposit down for the lg mz something (just before the px11 came out) then saw the same panel £500 cheaper (so it wernt pennies) and they refused, so i wanted my money back they wouldnt so i had to be gobby lol, i also did mention that i could quite easilly have an accident on the way out into a few of the plasmas that were by the door ;)
    safe to say got my money then thank god got the px11 for £400 cheaper than they wanted for the mz and got the newer model, without the pain in the ass piggy back connection box that come with the mz

14. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. Comet's customer 'service' makes me so nervous I can imagine worrying for days after returning the goods about whether I'll ever see the cheque. I'm worried as it is about sending vouchers. They claim they'll be opened with 3 people present in the room. Dumb, dumber and Tea Leaf knowing my luck

15. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    come to comet swindon dude, i work there i aint thick i demo some tvs for ya, u can pick what u want then :D

16. pjpar

pjpar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into comet and piad 1499 for lg but got the saleman to agree to pricematch own website. I then called them the next day told them the salesman had agreed to pricematch web, all they said was bring print out of web and they would match, so I ended up getting for 1235 (same as QED) I was happy. :clap:

17. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thedude, Swindon's a bit of a trek. I'm in Kent. But thanks for the offer.

18. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJPar, it's down to individual managers it seems. The one in Aylsford was less than helpful. Wish I could get a pricematch like that.

19. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still got £ 1138 in vouchers here if only I could get a comet manager to agree a deal and be done with it.

20. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could always buy it from Comet online, you have to ring them up and arrange to send the vouchers off though....

21. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    great idea!
    and then coz of the distance regulations thingy you have a longer return period ;)
    i mean u may not like it when it comes hey wink wink
    then theyd have to give you a refund!
    and it might be a coincidence that u go to jl and get em to price match and get 5 yr warranty

22. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like the Thomson plasma uses a Hitachi screen.

See if you get offered a warranty. Some people on this board suggested comet or currys sales staff will reduce the price of the Telly against the price of the warranty if you push. Then cancel the warranty straight away and save a few hundred quid

Can someone confirm this?

23. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    its down to management discretion. But if money is given off for the warranty its written on the reciep. So we will add the money back again if you try and refund in the store.
    There are ways and means to get around this tho :D