Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

• Graded Rear Projection TV's - Any good?? •

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by serdar13, Jul 9, 2003.

1. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering if any of the forum members have bought 'GRADED' Rear Projection TV's and if so were hey any good?

I know robert whyte ltd have some and other retailers offer them as well. I am mainly interested in the Tosh 42WH18B and the Sony KP44PX2.

I have found a place selling them in grade 1 condition, with 1 years warranty and seem to be in very good condition.

Any comments would be appreciated before parting with my money.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    A few of the guys have purchased from RW and seem to have got unmarked sets that perform well enough. Can't recall who has got them.

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I purchased a graded Kp44 Ps2 and can confirm it was delivered in as new condition and have not exprienced any problems with it. How much is your source charging for it?

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Me too on a KP44PS2. For £999 it was a steal. Perfect nick, and fantastic performance. I thought I was taking a risk, but went for it since I live in Glasgow and could visit the shop in person. Absolutely no regrets, and I'm still enjoying the £3k I saved by not buying a plasma!

5. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The supplier (not RW) is offering the Toshiba 42WH18B for £1040 and the Sony KP44PX2 for £1450. All include VAT and delivery.

I think the Tosh is a better deal as I think the price difference on the Sony is not that lower than in the shops.

6. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy any graded electrical product DON'T buy it mail order IMO.
    Make sure you see the product (the TV in your case) & check to see if it is in satisfactory condition (I've seen some really badly damaged graded TV's both in my time in the TV retail trade & on sale in some retail supersheds) & make sure it works & the PQ is to your satsifaction with a normal TV signal (they are not always switched on when they are put out on display for sale)

Demand you get the remote & the instructions too (unless it clearly states on the TV's point of sale there is no remote & instructions) check to see if all the buttons on the TV & remote work.

Ask what warranty it comes with (could be 3-12 months)

Finally, try & get the TV home yourself as there's no telling what could happen to the TV between your purchase & delivery to your home, Graded TV's are not usually as well packaged as new TV's.

HTH

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Sony KP44PX2 £1099.99 + del

8. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know robert whyte have it for £1099 but it writes it comes with no cabinet.

Also, have read alot of problems with RW so am considering staying away from them.

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    No cabinets are the optional side cabinets that unless you live in a mansion you probably would not have any room for. You get exactly what the web page shows, if you look on the Sony site you will see the side cabinets that I think are no longer available. I would not let negative comments put you off to much as the law is on your side. Just make sure you by on credit card and if you do get problems then just let them fight it for you.

10. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There never were cabinets available for the PX2 anyway - only the PS2. The RW site is misleading in that it describes and pictures the PS2 in the link for the PX2. (For example the PX2 does not have DRC-MF or dynamic PAP - the PS2 does).

I have read of problems with RW too, but that hasn't been my own personal experience with them. The graded PS2 I received from them was factory sealed by Sony and was as new in every way. The 2 main sales guys from the shop delivered it personally, and they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. That said, I've never had to go back to them with a complaint, which is when you can really judge a company's true attitude to its customers.

11. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just phoned RW and they still have some Sony 44" in stock. I enquired if I wasn't satisfied and I wanted a replacement or refund then I might incur extra costs.

The woman I spoke to also said that they are approved graded sony stock and might have cosmetic damage but the screen will be fine.

Those of you who have bought this particular set from RW or any graded stock from them - what was there condition?

12. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I purchase the PS2 and it was as new in all respects. Remote was sealed in the bag etc. No scratches bumps or chaffs really was an excellent bargain.

13. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scooby do.......did you buy it from RW and would you personally recommend them?