“Universal players” vs separate DVD-A, CD and SACD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David 517, Oct 20, 2004.

1. David 517

David 517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a Lexicon MC-8 as the processor / pre-amp in a 5.1 system (with Bryston 9B amp and JM Labs Utopia Be speakers) which aims to reproduce good two-channel results as well.

How high a quality of DVD-A, DVD-V, and/or SACD player do you need to get good quality audio, particularly since I wish to avoid the unfortunate ‘attribute’ of such systems in exposing poor sources?

DVD-equipped machines often appear to be compromised in CD replay at least compared with stand-alone CD or CD/SACD players, so the point at which a “universal player” achieves acceptable quality appears to be a pretty high in terms of price at least.

Without spending unreasonable amounts of money, which universal players exceed the minimum quality level?

Is it better, therefore, to use two or three machines? i.e. a predominately DVD-A / DVD-V-oriented player separate from a CD and/or SACD-oriented player (even if each device plays other formats as well)...

What would be your suggestion for a DVD-V player and a CD / SACD player – or even separate CD and SACD players – that would again meet or exceed the minimum quality bar?

Many thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts.

Regards,

David

PS – until someone wins the current multi-channel format wars, I must acknowledge that the music I want to play is only going to be available in one format or another, but not both, so I would very much appreciate it if this question could avoid inflaming any nascent criticism of either DVD-A or SACD.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well I use a Pionerr 656 for all my multichannel music, but my DV29 for DVD-V & CD.
    The 656 is a good player, but DVD-A is better on my DV29 and if I had enough inputs on my MC-8b then I would use that for DVD-A instead, and if the DV29 could play SACD then I would do away with the 656 all together. To be fair though the DV29 did cost me £1600 and the 656 £250, so its not really fair to directly compare them.
    I find the slight loss of sound quality with DVD-A by useing the 656 is acceptable as it gives me the option of SACD that no Arcam DVD players offer. this is the only SACD player I have ever used so can't compare it to anything else to say how good the 656 is at SACD. I did previously have a Toshiba SD-900e that I used for DVD-A and that was slightly better than the 656, but there was not a lot in it.
    Perhaps the Pioneer 868 would be good enough for you for all formats. Many people on here are saying it is a great player, but you would need to demo it to see if it can 'meet or exceed the minimum quality bar' for you.

Mark.

3. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Easy,buy the universal player the Esoteric UX-1 It is one of if not the best player in the world for cd/sacd dvd audio dvd video in fact any disc you can think of it will play and play superbly.I have one to gether with Levinson dual mono amps and Revel speakers.