“Baby” Sammy (LE32) delivered yesterday . . .

Javert

Standard Member
. . . by Dr Amtrak . . unannounced . . . sadly I wasn’t home to welcome the new arrival (working!). The good news is they will try again today – but I’ll still be working. Fortunately, there’s a happy ending – I can collect the New Arrival on Saturday from the nursery (Amtrak depot) – and it’s only 40 miles from here! ;)

Now a technical question for you wonderful experts – bearing in mind a) I’m non-tekkie and b) the limits of Sammy’s 2 Scart sockets – I will need to have connected: 2 DVDs (recordable and Surround Sound) and a Sky Digi-box. The friend who’s going to do this for me says I will need a “Switchable Scart Box” – is this so? When I had these same devices fitted to my existing Toshiba which has 2 scart sockets, my cousin did this and used one of these boxes. After a time it ceased working properly. An engineer was called in and he fitted all the same devices without using the scart box. Would you think it necessary in this case? :confused:
Many Thanks
John

V

Vallyboy

Enjoy !:)

I am totally not up to the technical side but I have a DVD recorder Phillips 720 looped through the Sky box and connected to Scart 1. You then have the option of Scart 2 or component for the other player.

It also has audio out for surround sound, mute the internal speakers. I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about can give better advice.:rolleyes:

I love mine, gestation period was a worry, "will everything be alright ?" Delivery was unexpected, same Doctor, and for the first few days I was not sure, thought the bugger was a tad ugly at first, but that was me being too critical, my brain has "bedded in" now, so delighted with the new arrival.

Javert

Standard Member
Thanks Vallyboy for your advice – much appreciated. Looking forward to the actual arrival tomorrow – thank goodness I’ve haven’t need an epidural, but I’ve been doing the breathing exercises. No doubt I’ll be exhausted when I’ve pushed the final push! ;)
Expect it’ll take a bit of getting used to (they're usually thought to be ugly when first seen - hope it's not too wrinkly) but I’m sure I’ll get there in the end.
Next big decision is which DVD do I view first – at the moment I’m torn between “Monsters Inc” and “Pirates of the Caribbean”. A true connoisseur’s selection, I think you’ll agree.
:thumbsup:

V

Vallyboy

Javert said:
Next big decision is which DVD do I view first – at the moment I’m torn between “Monsters Inc” and “Pirates of the Caribbean”. A true connoisseur’s selection, I think you’ll agree.
:thumbsup:

It has to be "Pirates" IMO. Monsters is too much of an easy peasy test. Lots of dark scenes in "Pirates" to get you worried about black levels.:D

Try not to be too critical at first, face up to the fact you did the dirty deed, you whipped out your credit card no doubt, so live with the consequences eh.:)

Give it a few days and I'm sure it will become a member of the family.:smashin:

P

pipedream

If one of your DVD boxes has Component or HDMI outputs as Lyris asks above, then you shouldn't need a SCART switcher. Monsters is fantastic BTW! (haven't tried Pirates yet) (Sammy LE32R41B)

Javert

Standard Member
Thanks for the responses – really appreciated. But I must answer a couple of things here:

1. To lyris I offer my apologies – I did not ignore the reply – just didn’t have the time then to check out my DVDs - rushing my lunch break! Have done so now and neither machine has the outputs you referred to – the available ones now are: Audio, Video, S Video, Optical In, and AV Connector.

2. To vallyboy – re: which DVD should I watch? You trying to scare me with all that black? ;) Look here – I am proud to say I am a big wuss (in fact I have a black belt for that and also for origami), and I’ve been extremely brave to have even ordered the TV. So I think I’ll just ease myself into watching with Monsters! I’m already convincing myself I’ve made a wrong purchase – that’s without seeing the set! Aaargh!

3. To pipedream – be adventurous, brace yourself – watch “Pirates”!

Now all I’ve got to do is collect the box from Amtrak – trouble is my car is a diddy Corsa – and I’m wondering if it’ll actually go in the back – yes, I do know that I have to put the seats down ;)
:clap:

V

Vallyboy

Javert said:
Now all I've got to do is collect the box from Amtrak – trouble is my car is a diddy Corsa – and I'm wondering if it'll actually go in the back – yes, I do know that I have to put the seats down ;)
:clap:
Glad you mentioned that about collecting. With Plasma's they must never be placed face down.

No such problem with with LCDs, but you should never point the screen North. Magnetic field distorts the pixels apparently.

Have a good journey.:devil:

Edit. Box size 90cm+75cm+25cm

Javert

Standard Member
Quote: you should never point the screen North. Magnetic field distorts the pixels apparently.

Oh consternations! That means I shall have to return home (just 40 miles) via Land's End (or do I mean John o' Groats?). Fortunately, I only travel home due east from the depot (Thinks: must stop at the end of those 40 miles otherwise I'll be in the North Sea and my Corsa isn't a submersible).

:nono:

J.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom