£275 max 5.1 speaker package - any thoughts?

A

ags100

I recently bought a Tosh 220 DVD which is currently hooked up to my Panasonic WS telly but predictably the sound is fairly pants. So I'm in the process of buying a Yamaha DSPAX630 (found at bargain £295 at QED) but am at a complete loss for what speakers to look at.

Unfortunately my budget only runs to about £275 otherwise I hit the divorce courts, so any recommendations from you experts out there? I need all 6 speakers so I admit they will not give me startling performance, but I need the best I can get for my cash.....

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

How about 3x Tannoy MX1's/MX2's these should give you enough bass till you have more funds for a sub.

Big thanks to Matt recommending the Missions - me like - lots!! And the price is impressive too.

Presumably no compatability problems with the Yamaha amp - are the days gone when speakers didn't match with amps? - different ohms/impedance and all that jargon!

Anthony

Originally posted by ags100
Presumably no compatability problems with the Yamaha amp - are the days gone when speakers didn't match with amps? - different ohms/impedance and all that jargon!

Anthony, there shouldn't be any compatability issues as the Missions appear to be fair easy to drive:

Sensitivity SPL/m/2.83V 89dB
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms

The Yamaha should have no problems IMO.

Matt.

p.s. At £200 the Mission Six Pack is a genuine bargain.

Matt, thats good to hear!

Fancy being my personal shopper?! :D

The only other thing I need to consider is speaker cable - does it really make any difference what I use? Or should I just choose something thats not the cheapest and by no means the most expensive!!

Cheers
Anthony

Originally posted by Matt F
At £200 the Mission Six Pack is a genuine bargain.

Definately. Go and buy one now :)

I started out with a Mission Six pack, although have now replaced the front 3 speakers with a pair of M74's and a M7C1. The spare speakers are sat quietly for the day I upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1.

and following on from another post.....

Cable-wise, I wouldn't go overboard as the speakers probably don't warrant it. I'm about to replace the cable to my rears, probably with something around the 60p/meter price from Studiospares. Cable for the fronts is Cable Talk Talk 3.1 which was about £2 per meter or something.

Sorry didn't read the bit about 6 speakers. However, my comment still stands as an alternative - ie buy the M72 cinema pack at RS for 275 quid and save up for a decent subwoofer - which is what I am doing.

Originally posted by Spacecowboy
Are the speakers in the Mission Cinema 6 pack the M70's? All 5 of them?

They are Mission 70's not Mission M70's, but all five are exactly the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom