Sky Q pricing and details announced
Sky Q will go on sale in February with set-up costs starting at £99.
Sky Q will be available to buy from Tuesday 9 February, with home installations beginning at the end of the month and for new customers joining Sky, the ongoing monthly cost for Sky Q will start from just £42, which is a bit less than some predicted.
The ‘typical’ monthly cost for existing Sky+ customers will be around £12 extra compared with their current Sky+ package, says the company.
For the first time, and some will say about time, Sky Q customers will receive servicing and mechanical fault repairs at no extra cost. In addition, customers will have access to a dedicated premium service centre based in the UK, and everyone taking Sky Q – whether an existing Sky customer or new to Sky – will get a full professional installation as part of the set-up cost.
Stephen van Rooyen, Chief Marketing, Sales & Digital Officer, Sky, said:
“We’ve had a fantastic reaction to Sky Q. So I’m delighted to reveal the news that people will be able to get Sky Q for our lowest ever set-up cost for a new premium product.
“We wanted to completely re-imagine TV, making it flexible and seamless across the screens in our lives. With Sky Q and Fluid Viewing that’s exactly what we’ve done – giving people the best TV tech on the market today, at a really accessible price. We think people will love it.”
A brand new family of Sky products – including Sky Q, Sky Q Silver, Sky Q Mini, Sky Q touch remote, the Sky Q Hub and the Sky Q app, all connect wirelessly to create an ecosystem that makes the TV experience in to what Sky is calling Fluid Viewing.
Fluid Viewing gives you the flexibility to pause a show in one room and pick it up on another TV or tablet in your home. It introduces the number one requested feature from customers, the ability to take recordings with you wherever you go. You can also watch different programmes simultaneously on up to five screens around the home while recording up to four other channels – a first in the UK and Ireland.
Sky Q will launch with two brand new bundles. The Sky Q Bundle gives customers the benefits of Fluid Viewing, together with the largest range of entertainment content from Sky – including:
- Over 50 HD channels and 300+ Sky Box Sets as standard, accessed via completely new TV guide and home page
- Record 3 shows and watch a 4th live
- Pause on one room and pick up the action on a tablet around your home
- Stream your TV around your home via the Sky Q app, and take your recordings with you
- Download shows to your tablet to watch offline
- All new Sky Q touch Bluetooth remote
- Browse Facebook photos and stream music wirelessly over your TV sound system with Bluetooth or Apple’s AirPlay
- Brand new interactive sidebar apps for catching up with the latest from Sky News and Sky Sports without interrupting the big screen experience
- Brand new Online Video section – with videos fully on demand from YouTube and Vevo, plus a curated service which showcases a wide range of the best of the web– including videos from GQ, Vogue, WIRED, Red Bull Media House and Funny Or Die.
The Sky Q Silver Bundle gives you everything from the Sky Q Bundle, plus:
- The ultimate Fluid Viewing experience, on multiple TV screens around your home – letting you watch on two additional Sky Q Minis*, and the option to stream your TV to two tablets all at the same time
- Record and watch even more: record 4 shows while watching a 5th live
- The top of the range 2TB Sky Q Silver box, which is Ultra HD ready in advance of Sky launching the UK’s most comprehensive Ultra High Definition service later in 2016
All customers who already have Sky Broadband or who purchase Sky Broadband when buying Sky Q will also receive the new Sky Q Hub that turns Sky Q boxes into Wi-Fi hotspots. Sky Q installations will be phased with Sky Broadband customers receiving the product first, before very soon opening up to those with other broadband providers.
After launch, Sky Q will keep adding new features, including a new voice search capability. In addition, the Fluid Viewing experience will come to even more screens with a new app for smartphones to follow.
Sky Q is now open for pre-registration at sky.com/SkyQ
Full pricing details - click on the photos to enlarge:
To comment on what you've read here, click the Discussion tab and post a reply.