The latest iteration of Kef’s LSX speaker, the Soundwave, incorporates advanced design technology in a true wireless, Hi-Res package wrapped in an exclusive fabric that mirrors the visualisation of soundwaves.Since its inception in 1961, Kef has always had a keen eye on the using unusual and sometimes controversial design in the engineering concepts of its speakers in the pursuit of the ultimate sound reproduction. Collaborating with celebrated designers has been a part of this process and it led to the Muon project, which had input from Ross Lovegrove, as well as the original LSX speaker which was overseen by British designer Michael Young.
Now, the LSX has had a design update from none other than Sir Terence Conran, with the aim of creating a compact, powerful and versatile speaker that would be a stylish standout piece for any audio fan’s home.
Kef’s defining Uni-Q tweeter is now brought to the centre of attention in Conran’s emblematic blue which extends to the low frequency augmenting rear port, and the Conran Soundwave pattern is woven into the fabric from Danish textile designer Kvadrat and reflects the effect of the Uni-Q’s Tangerine waveguide.
The LSX shares much of the award winning LS50’s cutting-edge acoustic engineering while adding features to create an active system that is truly wireless from both the content source and between the speakers themselves. Despite the LSX’s bijou dimensions, the dual 70 watt Class D amp for the mid bass and 30 watt amps for the tweeter provide plenty of juice for room filling sound whether they’re being used for music or for movie and TV viewing.
There’s integration with Spotify Connect, Apple Music and TIDAL, while onboard AirPlay 2 enables multi-room streaming from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
Set up is simple with the Kef Control app which will also facilitate any over-the-air updates the company pushes out.
Conran explained, “Audio systems are no longer a piece of background technology hidden away in a corner, they are as much a focal point in a room as a favourite object, antique or piece of artwork so the quality of the design is essential. When I sat down to consider the design of the fabric for the LSX Soundwave, I looked out from my desk over the river Thames and the ripples over the water and visualised waves of sound passing through the air."
LSX Soundwave Features:
- Spotify Connect®, Apple Music® and Tidal® (via KEF Stream app)
- Apple AirPlay™ 2
- S1 Floorstands, P1 Desktop Stands and B1 Wall Brackets are available to aid the placement versatility of the LSX
- Acoustic design with 4.5" Uni-Q driver; FEA designed cabinet with hidden heat-sink
- KEF's dedicated time correcting Music Integrity Engine™
- 2 x 30W + 2 x 70W Class D amplifiers
- Adjustable EQ settings via KEF Control App
- Dedicated apps for iOS and Android™
- Proprietary wireless inter-speaker connection supports 48kHz/24bit; optional wired connection supports 96kHz/24bit transmission
- Supports source files up to 192kHz/24bit
- 2.4GHz/5GHz Dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity (DLNA/uPNP™)
- Bluetooth 4.2 with Qualcomm® aptX™ codec
- Optical input (TOSLINK)
- AUX input
- Subwoofer output
- Supports third party programmable remote controls
- Supports IP Control
Source: Press release
Image Source: Kef
To comment on what you've read here, click the Discussion tab and post a reply.