Astell&Kern launches Layla AION in ear monitors
A treat for your ‘shell-likes’
Hi-Fi NewsDue to be shown at the Hong Kong AV SHow Aug 9-11th, Astell&Kern’s Layla AIOM is the latest universal fit in ear monitor the company has co-branded with Jerry Harvey Audio.Astell&Kern are well known for their portable, Hi-Res audio players and Jerry Harvey is a renowned sound engineer who co-developed a series of customized dual-speaker in-ear monitors back in 1995. In 2014, the two partnered to release the Layla, a custom earphone which quickly established an audiophile reputation.
The Layla was augmented by two further limited edition releases, both representing a design first in material choices - the ‘Carbon Fibre Edition’ and the ’Full Metal Jacket’ titanium edition.
Now the Layla gets a third update, to the AIOM edition, which leverages both ever improving manufacturing processes and up to the minute technology advances.
The process begins by compressing hundreds of layers of resin infused carbon fibre fabric to create a starting block of carbon fibre which is machined and then hand shaped. The Layla AIOM is fine tuned to match Astell&Kern’s line of portable Hi-Res players and then hand assembled with a red and black pearloid faceplate finish. The end product is designed to recreate music as it was intended by the recording artist and mix engineer.
• Machined Carbon Fibre Shell: formed into an ergonomic ear shape for better fit and stability.
• Powered by soundrIVe™: 12 Drivers per side: Quad Low, Quad Mid, and Quad High Proprietary Balanced Armatures.
• Sonic Tube Chassis™: 3D printed chambers house the 12 driver configuration and implement freqphase technology - gives a smaller shell design without compromising on sound quality.
• freqphase™: Patented technology ensures the correct phase and time alignment of all frequencies.
• Acoustic Sound Chamber™: Recessed tube system keeps sweat away and alleviates the need for excessive cleaning.
• Silver-Plated OCC Litz Wire Cable with 7-pin Connector: Strong, light, durable high purity OFC 4N Silver-plated cable with German-made, iridium connector. Enables firm connection grip and easier insertion and removal. Built-in O-ring keeps the connection between the cable and earpiece sweat proof. Robust cable will not oxidize and features upgraded memory wire around the ear.
• Includes: 3.5mm unbalanced to balanced 2.5mm 4-pole connector cable, carbon carry case and ear tips.
Layla AION features adjustable bass, allowing the listener to customize the bass level from a flat response up to a boost of +13db of bass.
On show at the Hong Kong AV Show, the layla AIOM will retail for $5,499
Source: Press release
Image Source: addictedtoaudio.com.au
To comment on what you've read here, click the Discussion tab and post a reply.