Apple has issued a warning over one of its Beats speaker systems which urges owners to stop using it immediately as it poses a potential fire risk.
The speaker in question is the Beats Pill XL, which has proved popular in the US with sales of over 230,000 units since going on sale last year. The problem is with the battery which has been proven to overheat.
According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission at least one person has already been injured and another customer has reported damage to furniture caused by the Pill XL.
"Apple has received eight reports of incidents of the speakers overheating, including one with a burn to a consumer's finger and one with damage to a consumer's desk," reported the US Consumer Product Safety Commission in a statement.
The item is now showing as unavailable on the Beats website and Apple is offering to send a box to customers so they can return the product, once they’ve completed an online returns form.
For those that didn’t retain proof of purchase, Apple is offering an Apple Store credit or an electronic payment equivalent to £215 in compensation. For those that can provide a receipt, or other means of proof, a full reimbursement will be given.
Apple bought out Beats Electronics & Music in 2014, paying $3bn for the privilege.
To comment on what you've read here, click the Discussion tab and post a reply.