It’s taken a while for it to arrive but, around seven months after the increasingly excellent Fire TV box was launched in the UK, the Amazon Fire TV Stick is now on sale here.
The Fire TV Stick is a small dongle-like device that connects to the HDMI port on your display for easy access to movies, TV shows, music, photos, apps, and games and it’s available to pre-order at just £35 starting today at www.amazon.co.uk/firetvstick and will ship on 15th April.
For two days only, Amazon Prime members can order Fire TV Stick for a bargain £19; customers who are new to Prime can sign up for a new annual membership and get Fire TV Stick for just £7 after a refund.
“When we launched Amazon Fire TV in the UK last September, it quickly became our fastest-selling Amazon device,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon Founder and CEO.
“We’re excited to introduce Fire TV Stick in the UK. Fire TV Stick is the most powerful streaming media stick available, with a dual-core processor, 1 GB of RAM, 8 GB of storage, dual-band and dual-antenna Wi-Fi, included remote control, voice search with our free mobile app, and an open ecosystem. The team has packed a huge amount of power and selection into an incredible price point—Fire TV Stick is just £35.”
Fire TV Stick provides easy access to a wealth of content, including the most popular streaming and catch-up services such as Prime Instant Video, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, BBC News, BBC Sport, Sky News, Curzon Home Cinema, STV Player and more.
The number of video services and games available on Amazon Fire TV in Europe has doubled in just seven months, with more services and games being added every week. You can also rent or purchase over 50,000 popular films and TV episodes from Amazon Instant Video. Plus, Prime members enjoy unlimited streaming of over 15,000 popular films and TV shows such as Vikings (yay!), Ripper Street, Alpha House, Bosch, andGolden Globe winner Transparent.
Amazon Fire TV Stick features:
- The most powerful streaming media stick—Dual-core processor, 1 GB RAM, and 8 GB storage for fast and fluid navigation and search results. Fire TV Stick has 50% more processing power and 2x the memory of Chromecast. Higher processing power and memory result in faster and more fluid navigation, plus more storage for apps and games. It delivers stunning 1080p HD video and immersive audio with Dolby Digital Plus surround sound.
- Small and portable—All of the power of Fire TV Stick comes in an incredibly small package—it is the size of a pack of gum. Fire TV Stick is also the first of the major streaming media players to include support for captive portal web authentication without the need for any additional software, allowing for seamless streaming in major popular hotel chains and some universities
- Simple to set-up and easy to use—Arrives pre-registered so you can simply plug it in, connect to the Internet and start streaming in minutes. Features the same fast and fluid user interface as Amazon Fire TV, with big, beautiful images and easy-to-discover content.
- Includes a remote control—Customers have said they want to use a remote control, not just their phones, to watch TV. Use the included remote to easily navigate and discover movies, TV shows, apps, and games.
- Free Fire TV Remote App (with Voice Search)—If you prefer to navigate using your phone as a remote control, the Fire TV Remote App for Fire phone, Fire tablets, Android phones and iPhone lets you navigate and manage playback from your phone. The app also features voice search that actually works—it is powered by the same voice search engine as Amazon Fire TV, enabling you to simply speak the name of a movie, TV show, actor, director, or genre into your phone, and you’re done.
- Fast, reliable streaming—Fire TV Stick features dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi with MIMO for fast and reliable streaming.
- Instant streaming with ASAP—No more waiting for your movies and TV shows to buffer—ASAP (Advanced Streaming and Prediction) learns which Amazon movies and TV episodes you’ll want to watch and buffers them for playback before you even hit play, so videos start instantly.
- Fling movies and TV shows from your phone or tablet—Fling movies and TV shows from your Second Screen-enabled Fire tablet or Fire phone to Fire TV Stick, turning your TV into the primary screen and freeing up your phone or tablet to provide playback controls, a customized display for X-Ray, or simply a place to email, browse the web, and more, while you watch a movie. Fire TV Stick supports standards like DIAL so you can also fling services like Netflix from your Android phone or iPhone.
- Mirror your phone or tablet display—Wirelessly mirror your tablet display to your Fire TV Stick from Fire tablets, Fire phone, and Miracast-enabled phones or tablets—without any additional apps or software.
- X-Ray for movies and TV shows—Using Second Screen on your Fire tablet or Fire phone, you can see X-Ray information as your movie or TV show plays on your TV via Fire TV Stick. See information about cast and crew, the names of songs as they play, as well as a list of music in the movie or TV show, trivia items in context with the action on the screen, and character backstories so you can easily remind yourself of the character’s history. X-Ray is exclusive to Amazon and is powered by IMDb.
- Great for casual gaming—Play your favourite casual games like Monsters University, Ski Safari, Terraria, Crossy Road and Flappy Birds Family.
- Personal photos and videos—Play slide shows and choose your favourite album for the screen-saver on Fire TV Stick. Photos or videos you take on your phone or tablet can be automatically uploaded to Amazon Cloud Drive, so they appear on your Fire TV Stick.
- Music in your living room—Listen to music from popular streaming services like Spotify and TuneIn as well as your full collection of music in your Amazon Music Library. Simply upload your music or purchase from Amazon and it will be stored automatically in the Amazon Cloud and available on Fire TV Stick.
- Whispersync—Amazon’s Whispersync technology saves and synchronizes your video and music library across all of your devices. Start watching a movie on your phone or tablet, and when you get home, pick up where you left off on your TV. For games that support Whispersync, your place in the game will also sync across devices, so you can always pick up where you left off.
Fire TV Stick will also be available at Argos, John Lewis and Tesco and you can also choose to upgrade to the Amazon Fire TV Voice Remote for an additional £24.99.
And they didn’t even mention all those Android apps you can sideload…You can buy it here
To comment on what you've read here, click the Discussion tab and post a reply.