What is the bandwidth for xbox live?

pjc12

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi im just wondering what the average band width usage for xboxlive is? I am waning to know this as i have a 3 mobile broadband modem to use and it is limited to 3gb per month and i cannot go over this or i will be charged hefty amounts per mb. I would only be playing games no downloading or hosting.

I don't think it is very much - I doubt you'd go over 3 gb if you aren't doing anything but Xbox live on the connection. It obviously depends a bit on your usage, and if you start downloading game updates/ add ons through the connection, as they could soon rack up (the latest Bad Company 2 update was over 400mb)

if your only playing games online but single player, meaning your just connected to live then it'll be fine, but your biggest problem will be latency if you try to play online, it will be laggy as fk for you and everyone else. i would advise you ditch the 3g and get a proper connection if you plan to play xbox live properly.

i cnt get a proper line but have a 7.2mbps speed on 3g in my area so i tought this woud be fast enough to prevent lag?

7.2MBps relates to the bandwidth, not the latency. Think of bandwidth as the amount of lanes on a motorway. With a higher bandwidth (more lanes) you can carry more information. Think of latency as the speed of vehicle you're in. A mobile dongle will be like being in a lorry whereas a proper ADSL/Cable line is like being in a sports car. You need to be in the sports car for a decent online gaming experience :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom