Decent Headphones for Xbox 360 *Part 4*

Status
Not open for further replies.

neenan

Standard Member
Reaction score
which of the head phones below due you think are best with a Mix Amp? I need to get some new head phones so any help or ideas is appreciated as im really stuck what to get!

1. Sennheiser HD515 or HD515 game
2. Sennheiser HD555
3. Sennheiser HD595
4. Turtle Beach HPX1
5. Audio Technica ATH-AD700

thanks

mark

is there a big difference between the 595s & the 555s?

is there a big difference between the 595s & the 555s?
Having done a quick Google, I don't think there is much difference. If you can find a pair of 595s cheap, go for it but it's not worth paying a lot more for them.

Last edited:
The AD700's are the best gaming headphones to use with the mixamp (from your list) unless you would like comms out of the box, in which case go for the HPX1.
Also try reading and/or posting in the http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/1104636-decent-headphones-xbox-360-part-3-a.html thread next time:thumbsup:

EDIT: Rotten has kinda made my previous statement redundant... lol

Good advice. :thumbsup:

The HPX1 is a headset so comes with an attached mic and cost £64.99

Ear Force HPX-1 Headset & Cable for Astro | LimeXB360

The ad700s are headphones so you've have to either do a boom mic mod (see below) or use something like the mw2 throat mic.

Ear Force HPX-1 Headset & Cable for Astro | LimeXB360

These headphones currently cost £99.99

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=30

Which is better? Its all subjective, because both come highly recommended from those that have used them. I've owned the ad700s and found them fantastic for gaming. They have a huge soundstage and angled drivers, so you'll easily hear enemies all around you, including above and below you. They have great detail and seperation and are bass light so sound dosn't become muddy. They are ideal for gaming, but if you plan to watch movies these headphones wont be 'very in your face' on the bass front and may leave you a little underwhelmed during loud scenes such as explosions. This isn't a fault of the headphones, but needs to be considered if you plan to use the headphones for more than gaming. If not, then from your list I'd recommend the ad700s over everything else you've mentioned. Look back over part 3 of this thread and you'll see loads of discussion on the ad700s and the hpx1.

You may also find this article of some interest, because it includes both the ad700s and the hpx1s in its round up.

The Showdown Of The Three Giants: HPX vs PC350 vs A40 (Review) - Page 5 - MLG Forums

As for the boom mic mod, its not something you should worry about doing and is very easy (if you decide on the ad700s). Search part 3 of this thread to see my mod on my ad900s. The boom mic I used can be picked up from ebay usa and takes 5 minutes to fit.

Jamie.

Last edited:
@Jamie

Thanks for your advice really appreciated.

Im liking the idea of the large sound stage of the AD700s as gaming will be more important than watching films etc.

If any one here has used the 595s and the AD700s and let me know which one they prefer it would be really appreciated.

@Jamie

Thanks for your advice really appreciated.

Im liking the idea of the large sound stage of the AD700s as gaming will be more important than watching films etc.

If any one here has used the 595s and the AD700s and let me know which one they prefer it would be really appreciated.

I've not personally used them but the 595s feature here also

The Showdown Of The Three Giants: HPX vs PC350 vs A40 (Review) - MLG Forums

(the fist link I gave you didn't go directly to the comparison piece)

Jamie

i have not heard the sens 595 but understans that from a gaming point of view the Ad700 are better.

I used to own a set and loved them but found them somewhat bass light for movies so went for the big brother to the AD700 , the AD900 which have an almost identical sound but better (detailed) and with a bit more bass

I had a read through but they didnt review the Ad700s. What ive read so far made me order the Ad700s:thumbsup:

Are there any good Samsung Mixamps out there?

im using ad900 and im very happy with them just need to geta mixamp as well but sound great through my denon amp

I am thinking of buying myself a set of headphones for call of duty etc.
May go for the X1's as they are in my price range and seem the best around that price range.

Are the X1's good then? Have tried to read through all the threads but god my eyes now hurt. :cool:

May go for the X1's as they are in my price range and seem the best around that price range.

Are the X1's good then? Have tried to read through all the threads but god my eyes now hurt. :cool:

If you are happy with stereo sound and not 5.1 (you can hear things left and right and not all around) the its a resounding YES. I loved my X1's and were the best £40 i had ever spent. Really help to play the game.

:thumbsup:

If you get £150-£200 instead, then come back to this thread and look at the AD700's/A40's with Mixamp.

Which mixamp to get though? Is it worth getting the astro a40 mixamp and headphones, or better to get the headphones separately. Or are there alternatives to the astro mixamp?? I is confused.

HI guys,

I have read most of the thread part 3 onwards and have decided to go for the TB X41's.

I have a few concerns though. Have the early problems been ironed out now? I have read allsorts about people returning them with a number of faults but have read elsewhere these seem to have been resolved with newer units?

Anyone confirm that for me?

Also,

How do I link the X41's up to other sources to enjoy decent sound.....e.g TV, Laptop? Would it be just a case of removing the optical cable from the xbox and connecting to my TV? Same with the laptop?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Which mixamp to get though? Is it worth getting the astro a40 mixamp and headphones, or better to get the headphones separately. Or are there alternatives to the astro mixamp?? I is confused.

The suggestion above is for the Astro MixAmp and separate headphones, in this case, Audio Technica ATH-AD700's.

Ive owned a pair of these for the past 3 months. I found them a bit over rated but still very good. Wouldn't play with out them!
However i've just bought a Mix Amp and was amazed at the improvement so am now upgrading to AD700 headphones!
I would say if your prepared to spend 200 quid then go for a Mix Amp and headphones straight away if not youll still like the X1s.

HI guys,

I have read most of the thread part 3 onwards and have decided to go for the TB X41's.

I have a few concerns though. Have the early problems been ironed out now? I have read allsorts about people returning them with a number of faults but have read elsewhere these seem to have been resolved with newer units?

Anyone confirm that for me?

Also,

How do I link the X41's up to other sources to enjoy decent sound.....e.g TV, Laptop? Would it be just a case of removing the optical cable from the xbox and connecting to my TV? Same with the laptop?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Its a tough call what to do if your willing to spend £150 upwards. The temptation is to go for something like the x41 due to it being wireless. Whilst this may sound an appealing feature, think about it. How mobile do you need to be whilst playing games? Also when you factor in the issues of possible hissing/interference is it worth spending £150 to go down this route? In my opinion NO, but there are alot of people out there who will disagree with me and will tell you that the x41 is a fantastic piece of kit. I'm not doubting that people have had great experiences, but feel it would be more appealing around the £99 price point.

If I had a choice I'd go for a mixamp and headphones everytime. Why?
The mixamp is versitile and can be used with everything that has optical/coax (pc, laptop, DVD player, blu ray player etc). Plug in and use with a set of cans and you'll expereince dolby digital 5.1 whilst watching movies and supported TV programs.
With regards to the mixamp not being wireless it only has an optical cable coming from your 360 into the mixamp and then your headphone cable running to your headphones. You can power it by usb or buy the rechargable battery pack, so 2 to 3 wires max and by no means a 'wire jungle' as most people just have an optical cable running across their carpet when the mixamp is in use.
Most importantly I'm not sure the x41 will sound as good as a mixamp paired with somthing like the TB HPX1's. This option is only £15 more than the x41 and that is why I dont consider the x41 good value or worth while considering if your willing to spend £150 plus. How many pro gamers or people who read around the subject go down the x41 route? Granted the x41 is a 'one box solution' and i see its appeal, but purchasing the mixamp and hpx1 is hardly taxing( I dont mean that in a patrinising way). If a 'one box solution' appeals to you then I'd have no hesitation recommending the astro a40s and the mixamp.

Please dont take my post in the wrong way, but I think if you went down the x41 route and then listened to a friends setup who had the mixamp and say a pair of hpx1s or some a40s or ad700s you'd feel disappointed that you didn't go down this route.

At the end of the day if the convenience of wireless is the most important thing to you then by all means get the TB x41s. I'm not saying they are in any way bad, but just feel for the money you could do better. For example if you posted and asked what would your best option be for £40, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the TB x1s.

Just my two cents and by no means a knock at x41 owners (Dr Kronenburg etc). It just seems that more often than not someone fancies a headset for their 360 and is only aware of the common options offered by companies such as Turtle Beach. I.E those that appear on the shelf of places such as game.

Jamie

*PS* Opinion on headphones/headsets is subjective and should always be at the back of your mind when reading a post full of opinion such as this. The best advice I can give is to test out different headsets/headphones if possible. If you dont have and local friends who are willing to let you listen to their setup, then how about local hi fi shops? I'm aware that Lime offer a demo service upon request.

Thanks for your advice Jamie, you put a lot of time into replying with that post. I wont be changing my mind on the X41's. You say that its not much hassle to go the mixamp etc route but I am a genuinely lazy git and have no intention of setting all that up no matter how good the sound is. The TB will serve me fine for my needs.

Trouble is though mate, after all that writing I didnt get an answer to any of my questions!! LOL

Hi all, right, first off ive only just recently started using headphones for gaming, i went straight in and purchased the Astro A40 setup being the headset and mixamp and to be honest i was quite disappointed, my 2 main gripes being the headsets lack of bass and Astros cable system, i have no problem at all with cables but the fact i have my mixamp next to my 360 which is 3-3.5m from where i sit meant buying the headset extension cable which again is fine, problem is getting a connection between my 360 pad and the mixamp for voice coms, i really dont see why they did not give the option of linking your pad to either the mic/headset or the quick release connector to avoid having to run a second cable (if you can find a cable long enough in the first place that is) so for me, not the perfect setup.

So ive been reading through most of this thread (still reading) in the hope of getting something more suited to me, ive just gone and listed my Astro headset on Ebay though will be keeping the mixamp as i think from what ive read so far, mixamp and headphones is the way to go, for me, as to be honest, sound quality is my No1 priority, voice coms would be nice but not 100% essential, plus theres always the mic mod.

So, AD700's, Beyerdynamic ???? i want something with a nice bass response and an airy soundstage so i can pinpoint those damn snipers.

Cheers.

Hi all, right, first off ive only just recently started using headphones for gaming, i went straight in and purchased the Astro A40 setup being the headset and mixamp and to be honest i was quite disappointed, my 2 main gripes being the headsets lack of bass and Astros cable system, i have no problem at all with cables but the fact i have my mixamp next to my 360 which is 3-3.5m from where i sit meant buying the headset extension cable which again is fine, problem is getting a connection between my 360 pad and the mixamp for voice coms, i really dont see why they did not give the option of linking your pad to either the mic/headset or the quick release connector to avoid having to run a second cable (if you can find a cable long enough in the first place that is) so for me, not the perfect setup.

So ive been reading through most of this thread (still reading) in the hope of getting something more suited to me, ive just gone and listed my Astro headset on Ebay though will be keeping the mixamp as i think from what ive read so far, mixamp and headphones is the way to go, for me, as to be honest, sound quality is my No1 priority, voice coms would be nice but not 100% essential, plus theres always the mic mod.

So, AD700's, Beyerdynamic ???? i want something with a nice bass response and an airy soundstage so i can pinpoint those damn snipers.

Cheers.

Do what i did. I bought a spare X1 puck and a 2.5mm coupler (both adding up to £10) that way you can plug the puck in and adjust the volume of the voice comms without touching the mixamp AND attach that to the coupler and in turn the 2.5mm lead that comes with the mixamp and you got yourself a much longer cable from the controller to the mixamp.

The Astros, Ad700's, AD900's will never give you alot of bass as they are designed for gaming (ok not so much the AD700's, but they are so well suited they might aswell be designed for gaming).
If you get a bassy headset the games with just be too "bangy" within the game especially in MW2. You wont get much distinction in detail.

If you want to get the snipers then i would suggest the mixamp and AD700/900. The AStro A40s are brilliant (still got mine) but the open style of the AD700/900s was superb. I just had to return my AD900s because i didnt like the driver in the middle rubbing against my ears !!!

I would also like to announce that i went into a "local" hifi shop when back home and tried on a pair of AD700's that were in stock (tried at least 4 others and none had even heard of them). I loved the comfort and although only had a go on music was enough for me to order some and i collect them tomorrow.

So after sending the AD900's back i can eventually try the AD700's to see if i get a better experience than the A40s/AD900.

Its a present after getting money for christmas from a random relative i wasnt expecting. GET IN. :clap:

Last edited:
I would also like to announce that i went into a "local" hifi shop when back home and tried on a pair of AD700's that were in stock (tried at least 4 others and none had even heard of them). I loved the comfort and although only had a go on music was enough for me to order some and i collect them tomorrow.

So after sending the AD900's back i can eventually try the AD700's to see if i get a better experience than the A40s'.

Its a present after getting money for christmas from a random relative i wasnt expecting. GET IN. :clap:

Thanks for the reply, please let me know what you think of the AD700's over the Astro's as i think im gearing towards those from what ive read.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom