RROD No.2 will MS replace this one ? - RESULT - Yes they will.

TylerDurden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
360 #1 died about 19 months ago, MS replaced that one for me.
Last night the replacement failed with the 3 RROD :suicide:

Will MS replace this second replacement unit ?

Edit : Not sure if its related, but I did apply a system update a couple of days ago

Last edited:
If you go onto xbox.com and say you want to sign up your console for repair then it will say if its still in warranty or if you have to pay

They'll repair it as many times as needed as long as it's under 3 years old. You could look at the manufactured date on the back of the console, if that's less than 3 years ago you're covered, not as good as looking on the receipt for an exact date though

Mine went kaput last night for the second time, the warranty is up in december. i started a thread in the hardware section asking a questionswhich may be relevant to you.

Should i:

a - get it repaired and keep it
or
b - get it repaired then sell it and buy a jasper unit which is supposedly more reliable and would give me hdmi and a new 3 year warranty.

option b is something i think anyone with a console coming up to 3 years old should consider really whether it still works or not

They'll repair it as many times as needed as long as it's under 3 years old. You could look at the manufactured date on the back of the console, if that's less than 3 years ago you're covered, not as good as looking on the receipt for an exact date though

Mine went kaput last night for the second time, the warranty is up in december. i started a thread in the hardware section asking a questionswhich may be relevant to you.

Should i:

a - get it repaired and keep it
or
b - get it repaired then sell it and buy a jasper unit which is supposedly more reliable and would give me hdmi and a new 3 year warranty.

option b is something i think anyone with a console coming up to 3 years old should consider really whether it still works or not
seeing as an arcade is £99 and some of the repair charges are ~£79/£89

xbox.com erroring when I try and register my serial no. however, my current 360 has a manufacture date of Sept 2007

Looks like I'll be calling MS and getting another 360. What units are people currently getting back as replacements these days

Well I've just got off the phone to MS and they are being difficult. They say unless I can provide proof of purchase for the original unit I'm going to have to pay for the repair.

My original 360 was purchased some time back in 2006, this failed in Dec 2007 and a replacement provided free by MS. This replacement unit has a Man Date of Sept 2007. The guy I spoke to said that the 3 year warrenty covering the RROD starts with the original unit and doesn't get reset when I got the replacement in Dec 2007.

Of course I don't have proof of purchase, I'm not very happy and have requested I get to speak to a supervisor, I'm waiting on a callback regarding this.
I'm trying to find out if its stated anywhere, whether the 3 year RROD period does / should get reset when you get a replacement unit, can anyone help with this ?

My current 360 has a Man Date of Sept 2007

Edit : Looks like I got the orginal 360 in April 2006 (based on my first achievements)

Last edited:
Nightmare, looks like you might be as well selling it for parts on ebay and buying an arcade, that might work out cheaper than paying for a repair and you'll get a better more reliable console with a new warranty.
Makes me feel lucky that mine went kaput just before the 3 year mark

I wonder what would happen if somebody was to buy my current RROD 360 (with a Man Date of Sept 2007 don't forget) would they be able to call MS (as its new owner) and get it replaced ?

thats a good point.
just after the 3 years warranty came in i bought one with rrod from ebay which was being sold for spares to cash in on people's ignorance of the extension. I rang ms and got it repaired with no problems at all as the manufacture date was obviously less than 3 years then, i did tell them i'd bought it on ebay just in case the original owner had registered it. (made a tidy profit from that too and it came in handy as mine went faulty just after i got this one back)

Looks like I got the orginal 360 in April 2006 (based on my first achievements)

then you have no 3 year warranty left.
it starts with the date purchased, and continues, regardless of repair/replacements.
its not reset with a repair or replacement unit.

the only way you would get a new 3 year warranty is to buy a new 360.

mind you, they may back down, as a goodwill gesture if you kick up a fuss, but dont count on it.

mind you, they may back down, as a goodwill gesture if you kick up a fuss, but dont count on it.

Spoke to a 'superviser' today and they point blankly refused to do anything outside of the 3 year period, they did agree to suspend my xbl account until I do get a new 360, which means I can concentrate on my unplayed PS3 and Wii games and wait and see what happens with the 360 pricing and bundles in the run upto xmas

If it were me I would write a formal complaint to Microsoft HQ in Reading and complain to them under the Supply of Goods and Services act 1982.

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 Fact Sheet - BIS

This act is different from the Sale of Goods Act which is with the original retailer.

MS know all about this Supply of Goods and Services act, and their obligations under it but intentionally keep quiet about it.

If Microsoft have swapped over your console then you can argue with them that this replacement console must be "fit for purpose" and given that it has broken down under two years with an inherent design fault (which is what the RROD represents) you could argue they have breached their obligations under this act.

Contact your local Consumer Direct if you want some extra info on this act.

But I would write to them snail mail recorded delivery and say to them they have 14 days to respond to agree to repair the console or replace it or you will take them to small claims under their breach of their obligations under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

• Any goods supplied in the course of the service must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose. If they are not the consumer is entitled to a repair, replacement or compensation.

• If the supplier does not carry out the work with reasonable care and skill the law treats the matter as a breach of contract and the consumer can seek redress. Often reasonable compensation in these circumstances will be repair or replacement.

Read through the help sheet on the Supply of Goods and services act before writing your letter, and also I would say telephone up Consumer Direct, as you need to show them you know exactly what you are talking about as they will just ignore you otherwise.

The Supply of Goods and Services is a different Act to the Sale of Goods and service, as this covers any service carried out either paid or unpaid.

By repairing your console Microsoft were offering you a service which they must adhere to reasonable care and skill, and if they have simply palmed you off and swapped your console for another with an inherent design fault, I would say its worth arguing with them that they have not undertook their obligations under this act and thus you want the console repaired or replaced.

• The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 requires a supplier of a service acting in the course of business in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to carry out that service with reasonable care and skill and, unless agreed to the contrary, within a reasonable time and make no more than a reasonable charge.

As I say telephone up Consumer Direct to get more info on this act.

Well I've taken the advice given by Anthony1uk and have written to MS requesting a repair / replacement under the Supply Of Goods Act.

Had a call back from them today regarding my letter, they just kept on stating that I couldn't have a free repair because I'm outside of the 3 year warrenty period :suicide: They also said that the Sale Of Goods Act didn't apply to them because they are a manufacturer, I had stated the Supply Of Goods Act several times in my letter (not the Sale Of Goods Act). I told them that perhaps I could get a callback after they have had a chance to read about their obligations under the Supply Of Goods Act.

Ding, ding, round one over :rolleyes:

This is the letter I sent :-

Re : Xbox 360 Hardware Failure / Faulty goods and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

Dear Sir/Madam,

In 2006 I purchased an Xbox 360 console, this unit failed in December 2007 with the hardware failure commonly known as the “3 Red Rings of Death” or “RROD”. As this failure was within the extended warranty period of 3 years this unit was replaced by yourselves at that time.
The replacement unit has a Manufactured Date of September 2007.
The serial number of this unit is ######## (but is no longer linked to my Xbox Live Account)

This second unit failed with a RROD hardware failure in August 2009 (at this time the unit was less than 2 years old). Having called the 360 Customer Services helpline I was told that I would have to pay a charge of £80 to have this unit repaired.

The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. states that :-

• Any goods supplied in the course of the service must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose. If they are not the consumer is entitled to a repair, replacement or compensation.

• If the supplier does not carry out the work with reasonable care and skill the law treats the matter as a breach of contract and the consumer can seek redress. Often reasonable compensation in these circumstances will be repair or replacement.

• A claim can be pursued though the courts for up to six years providing it can be shown that the problem was due to the work not being carried out properly or the goods or materials used not being of satisfactory quality

As my current 360 (supplied by yourselves in December 2007, and less than 2 years old) has failed, it is not “of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose”, as such I believe I am “entitled to a repair or replacement” of my goods under The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

In the best interests of all concerned, I would expect this matter to be brought to a swift and agreeable conclusion. However, if Microsoft continues to take the stance that I am not entitled to a repair or replacement under The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, I will have no option but to instigate legal proceedings in the Small Claims Court in order to get the matter resolved.
However, I’m sure that this will not be necessary.

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this letter.*

Yours faithfully,

Glad you are on your way to fighting back

Good luck and please keep us updated

Well I've taken the advice given by Anthony1uk and have written to MS requesting a repair / replacement under the Supply Of Goods Act.

Had a call back from them today regarding my letter, they just kept on stating that I couldn't have a free repair because I'm outside of the 3 year warrenty period :suicide: They also said that the Sale Of Goods Act didn't apply to them because they are a manufacturer, I had stated the Supply Of Goods Act several times in my letter (not the Sale Of Goods Act). I told them that perhaps I could get a callback after they have had a chance to read about their obligations under the Supply Of Goods Act.

Ding, ding, round one over :rolleyes:

This is the letter I sent :-
That is good news, if they phoned you then they are taking it serious (well depending of course who it was that phoned you).

The guy who telephoned you was either an idiot (doubtful), or he was deliberately acting coy as they certainly would know about the Supply of Goods and Services act (very likely)

If he phones back still unaware you could possibly ask for someone senior to him, or much more productive to possibly have a chat with their legal department as you can say the person on the phone does not know about the act you are referring to (supply of goods).

The guy is telephoning you up as Microsoft want to have no record that he was trying to fob you off and his apparent lack of understanding of the supply of goods and services act when he clearly does. This is so if you did submit the claim you cannot prove that he was trying to fob you off by giving you deliberately incorrect info on the phone.

Just remind him that it will cost next to nothing for them to repair the console, and if you are forced to take this to small claims it will cost the company thousands just because you were forced into submitting the claim as this person does not know of Microsofts obligations under the act.

He should pass you onto someone more senior, or become cleaver again quick.

They are phoning you up as they want this resolved - remember that!

Last edited:
They cant be taking it that seriously then as you have waited a decent amount of time - not like its Mon night or something

Good luck and please keep us updated

RESULT :clap::clap:

Got a call from my wife earlier, a letter had come from Reading, got her to open it, these are the highlights from it :-

Dear .......

Without Prejudice....

Sorry to hear of your recent problem.....

Under these exceptional circumstances......we can offer you a free repair.....

Please contact us to accept the repair....

Wonder if I should push my luck and ask for a Jasper ? :D

They have said that this replacement only comes with a 90 day warrenty mind you :rolleyes:

RESULT :clap::clap:

Got a call from my wife earlier, a letter had come from Reading, got her to open it, these are the highlights from it :-

Wonder if I should push my luck and ask for a Jasper ? :D

They have said that this replacement only comes with a 90 day warrenty mind you :rolleyes:
Congratulations. :smashin:

I hope this means you offer this advice to people that post with this problem. As you have shown quite clearly that you are entitled to this repair under this act. And more importantly that MS know it but are deliberately acting coy on it.

On the other issue, does the letter ask you to sign off all rights you will have in the future, as in "this is a full and final settlement of all alleged claims, and future claims, with none being admitted that could arise.

If so I would, and you could if you want, possibly go into a little bit more with them about this 90 day repair service they have offered you, as they obviously have faith in their repair abilities, and that the £200 console would not be expected to last only 90 days from them apparently doing a full and proper job of repairing so you do not feel you should accept only 90 days.

So see what they say.

Regarding the Jasper you are totally and absolutely wasting your time, they don't even admit it exists, and the Jasper to them is not what we think it is, it is something very different.

If you wanted to be a bit cheeky you could say as Aarron Greenberg recently stated that the newer HDMI containing consoles have fixes for this inherent fault causing RROD, could you please have the console innards swapped to the HDMI model motherboard to ensure it will run longer than 90 days if this is all the time they will allow for repairs.

You would probably have to word it better as you do not want to sound like you are asking for an improvement to what you have, which by having an additional HDMI port you effectively are, what you are wanting is the design and longevity imrpovements which just happen to coincide with the addition of the HDMI port, but are distinguised with these design upgrades by its presence

Congratulations. :smashin:

I hope this means you offer this advice to people that post with this problem. As you have shown quite clearly that you are entitled to this repair under this act. And more importantly that MS know it but are deliberately acting coy on it.

Of course I'll help others get the same result.

On the other issue, does the letter ask you to sign off all rights you will have in the future, as in "this is a full and final settlement of all alleged claims, and future claims, with none being admitted that could arise.

I won't actually see the letter itself until I get home from work later.

If you wanted to be a bit cheeky you could say as Aarron Greenberg recently stated that the newer HDMI containing consoles have fixes for this inherent fault causing RROD, could you please have the console innards swapped to the HDMI model motherboard to ensure it will run longer than 90 days if this is all the time they will allow for repairs.

Well I've got this far by being 'cheeky' might as well try and get the best I can, they can only say no.

Oh, before I forget, a bit "Thank You" needs to go out to Anthony1uk, cheers mate, it was your intial advice that prompted me to take the action to get my result here.

This is the letter I received from MS today :-
WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Mr ........

Thank you for your letter and taking the time to talk to us about your Xbox 360.

I am sorry to hear that your console has developed a fault. While we have complied with the Act as far as we are liable as manufacturer, I appreciate your frustration with the chargeable repair. As an exceptional gesture of goodwill, I am happy to offer a free of charge repair. On completion of the repair, we will infer a further 90 days warranty to the console.

If you wish to take me up on the offer, then please let me know by email and I will be happy to arrange this for you.

Regards,

The guy is clearly sneakily pretending he still thinks its Sale of Goods act so they don't have to comment on Supply of Goods.

You would likely get nowhere, but if you feel adventurous I would ask for a HDMI console due to the reliability imrpovements MS have done with those as confirmed by Microsofts Xbox product Manager Aaron Greenberg.

Forget the word Jasper or Falcon, you will get nowhere mentioning them. Also forget discussing Graphics and Processors, as they would not be allowed to dicuss graphics and processors due to NDA's

So your only bet is to try and ask for an HDMI console. But then you will be astronomically lucky if you get one so don't build your hopes up

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom