Halo Wars - Xbox 360 reviews

What do you rate Halo Wars on the Xbox 360?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The prequel to the original Halo on the Xbox, Halo Wars is a real time strategy game set in the fiction of the Halo Universe. But what did you make of it? A well told story, with decent design, or a shallow waste of time?

Please vote in our poll and leave a comment in the thread once you've played enough of the game to judge it.

I've got to admit, I was a little dubious about this being an RTS at first, but I reckon there's a really good little game in here. Details like the front end being similar to Halo 3 run through the game - everything looks right, sounds right and behaves like you'd expect it to based on the FPS games.

They've worked hard on the balancing, and though it's still beneficial to train up one type and go to town on it there are ways to counter with a bit of experience. Add in cooperative campaign and 3v3 online and this is a winner for me, both online and off.

I'm addicted.
The story is good - better than the proper halo games, even after completing it i'm not sure how it fits in to the existing lore with regard to the flood being it despite having read the books, can't really discuss that here without spoilers anyway.

The cutscene quality is as good as i've seen anywhere, the voice acting is excellent. The music and sound are excellent, it's great to hear the sound of a Spartan's armour recharging, exactly the same as in the original trilogy.

There are a few flaws and niggles:
I want to zoom out further with the camera to see a whole battle and i want to zoom in further to see a spartan carjack a vehicle, i want to select all of a specific unit type, i want to set a queue of units building or reseach even when i don't have the resources right now and have them start once the resources are there.

Despite these niggles i'm loving it, not played too much online yet, just a dozen or so 1v1 matches, i really want to play some 2v2, with a competent ally to co-ordinate with it should be even better.

The flaws could have been ironed out in a sequel really well and it's a travesty that Ensemble have been mistreated by Microsoft in the way that they have

Great game, would have scored it higher but it needs to be 30 levels in campaign mode before I would consider it. This is a fault with most games now the SP mode is truncated for no good reason.:thumbsup:

I gave it an excellent, mainly for the huge replay value its offered due to the smart achievement usage. The controls are fantastic and feel very natural within a short space of time. The presentation of the game is outstanding, the cutscenes are beautiful and the menu's are a nice nod to previous Halo games.

I've put in well over 12 hours on the game now and still have a lot to finish so the 24 hour achievement will come very easily. If you loathe RTS games this will probably not make you fall in love but if you used to play them and stopped due to the increasing complexity then HW is a perfect tonic.

Obviously as already mentioned the only flaw I can say with the game is the short campaign which can be completed in as little as 7 hours.

I thought it was a pretty average game. The story was good but my faults lie in the gameplay. I feel like there should of been something special in the gameplay, something new and innovitive to change the way RTS's are played but there is nothing new here and the game wasnt very exciting.

I had the choice of getting Fallout 3 for £30 or this for £40 and i chose this. I felt like i made the wrong decision. Its a good game but thats all it is. It offers little. There a few units and only 2 factions to play as and its just like a million other rts's where its just build your army, charge in, bang bang bang...levels over. There's little depth. They could of done things like made cities and let you garrison the building or let you have a first person camera angle to look through your mens eyes or just something to stir the gameplay up.

Anyone who spent £40 or $60 or w/e on this is crazy if they think it was worth it. If you want a good RTS then get Total War: Empire. This game game for me is uneddictive, lacks depth, excitement and innoitiveness. Nothing new here. Maybe if it was £20 i wouldnt of felt so bad not getting Fallout 3 instead.

Anyone who spent £40 or $60 or w/e on this is crazy if they think it was worth it. If you want a good RTS then get Total War: Empire. This game game for me is uneddictive, lacks depth, excitement and innoitiveness. Nothing new here. Maybe if it was £20 i wouldnt of felt so bad not getting Fallout 3 instead.
I think maybe you're coming at this from the wrong angle. I don't think this is designed to compete with standard RTS games, let alone the monster (rather excellent monster, having played the demo) that is Empire TW.

HW is meant to be light on complexity, heavy on story, heavy on coop. From that point of view it's a triumph and my £45 feels well spent as I'm being taken through what is fundamentally a solid, console driven stripped down RTS.

Playing HW, I've learnt more about what makes a successful strategy and the scissors-paper-stone mechanic than any other RTS I've played because the gameplay is so bare bones - and my argument would be we're all the better for it. Maybe we'll grow into other more complex games, but I think HW does more for the console RTS than any previous title.

I think maybe you're coming at this from the wrong angle. I don't think this is designed to compete with standard RTS games, let alone the monster (rather excellent monster, having played the demo) that is Empire TW.

HW is meant to be light on complexity, heavy on story, heavy on coop. From that point of view it's a triumph and my £45 feels well spent as I'm being taken through what is fundamentally a solid, console driven stripped down RTS.

Playing HW, I've learnt more about what makes a successful strategy and the scissors-paper-stone mechanic than any other RTS I've played because the gameplay is so bare bones - and my argument would be we're all the better for it. Maybe we'll grow into other more complex games, but I think HW does more for the console RTS than any previous title.

I agree that he's not the sort of gamer HW was aimed at. As I said in my review, this game is a definate nod to fans of the RTS genre who have grown tired of the overly complex nature of many of them now. Tech trees were an interesting innovation but now they've been taken to extremes. Also some RTS games micromanagement just isn't fun for some people. HW has a nice balance for the more casual player and is a good introduction to the principles of the RTS genre.

Obviously its not his fault that a RTS game wasn't designed with the core genres fans in mind. I read plenty about HW before I bought the game and the selling point was the cut down nature for me and I suspect many others will enjoy the title for it. I bought it for only £33 the week after release and consider it a bargain for the enjoyment it's given me. For any Halo fan its at least a rent in my book if nothing else.

Thanks for the review though Muzza798 as others may share your view.

Tbh i thought that i was the kinda guy they were aiming the game at. I play casual games like Fifa, Bad Company etc nothing hardcore though i play them hardcore :smashin:. The story in HW is quality and the ending is epic but thats all i felt i was getting from this game. In hindsight i guess i'd of gotten Fallout simply because it has mileage.

I know there are limitations with the console and they were trying to keep it simple but they imo kept it way too simple. Almost insulting my intelligence. The missions themselves wernt thought of outside the box atall. They were just run of the mill build army-kill enemy. Do you know what i mean? Its just there was no actual 'strategy' to this RTS game. Maybe you had to make a choice whether to build men or tanks but nothing in the heat of battle. With a little more depth and intuitiveness maybe it could of become a really big hit. The fact barely over 10,000 people are playing online at 1 time sais it all. Atleast i can get a credit note for half its price which wil be going on Halo 3 if its there or Fallout 3.

Id give Halo 3 - 7.8/10

Tbh i thought that i was the kinda guy they were aiming the game at. I play casual games like Fifa, Bad Company etc nothing hardcore though i play them hardcore :smashin:. The story in HW is quality and the ending is epic but thats all i felt i was getting from this game. In hindsight i guess i'd of gotten Fallout simply because it has mileage.

I know there are limitations with the console and they were trying to keep it simple but they imo kept it way too simple. Almost insulting my intelligence. The missions themselves wernt thought of outside the box atall. They were just run of the mill build army-kill enemy. Do you know what i mean? Its just there was no actual 'strategy' to this RTS game. Maybe you had to make a choice whether to build men or tanks but nothing in the heat of battle. With a little more depth and intuitiveness maybe it could of become a really big hit. The fact barely over 10,000 people are playing online at 1 time sais it all. Atleast i can get a credit note for half its price which wil be going on Halo 3 if its there or Fallout 3.

Id give Halo 3 - 7.8/10

At the end of the day mate you're entitled to your opinion, it's just as valid as those who like the game. When you play the game on legendary there is a lot more strategy involvement, particularly in the time sensitive missions such as Scarab, Shield World and Arcadia.

At the end of the day mate you're entitled to your opinion, it's just as valid as those who like the game. When you play the game on legendary there is a lot more strategy involvement, particularly in the time sensitive missions such as Scarab, Shield World and Arcadia.

Good point. Im sure on the harder difficulty settings there would be alot more strategy involved.Anyway i sold it and bought back Halo 3. What a purchase that has been:thumbsup:.

With the kickass story in Halo Wars i felt the need to buy 3 back. I sold it January 2008 and never really got into XBOX Live back then in my early days on 360 so sold it but now im addicted to Live i find it very fun to play and i understand it alot more. The Story in 3 is good aswell and though i can remember most missions, the cut scenes have been forgotten so its kind of like buying a brand new game.

I went to a games shop today and i looked at Total War: Empire. Christ that looks good. Ive had all the other ones but im almost certain my Laptop is not powerful enough for it and my complete lack of knowlege in PC's means i dont get PC games hardly ever due to fear of them not working. Yh so i kinda went off on 1 with this post. Back on subject. I think Halo Wars is good game for a week or 2 but after that you surely must see yourself either selling it or not playing it.

Good point. Im sure on the harder difficulty settings there would be alot more strategy involved.Anyway i sold it and bought back Halo 3. What a purchase that has been:thumbsup:.

With the kickass story in Halo Wars i felt the need to buy 3 back. I sold it January 2008 and never really got into XBOX Live back then in my early days on 360 so sold it but now im addicted to Live i find it very fun to play and i understand it alot more. The Story in 3 is good aswell and though i can remember most missions, the cut scenes have been forgotten so its kind of like buying a brand new game.

I went to a games shop today and i looked at Total War: Empire. Christ that looks good. Ive had all the other ones but im almost certain my Laptop is not powerful enough for it and my complete lack of knowlege in PC's means i dont get PC games hardly ever due to fear of them not working. Yh so i kinda went off on 1 with this post. Back on subject. I think Halo Wars is good game for a week or 2 but after that you surely must see yourself either selling it or not playing it.

Got the 24 hours play achievement today and still got to get the legendary and heroic achievements yet so for the gamerscore whores out there there is a lot of life in the title :D. I still haven't completed Halo 3 on Legendary :oops: so that will be getting a replay this summer with some friends on coop!

Have been playing Halo Wars since release and thought I would give my opinions on the game.
Purchased the LE tin set which up until recently I had avoided these sorts of sets as they offer little extra value to the game.
This came with the Mythic Map pack, a short hard back story (lead up to Halo Wars), a badge, a limited edition Wraith (in game), A5 hero player cards and a nice looking tin.
For £40 I was impressed to start with.
Played through the campaign and enjoyed the most of the levels, especially the cut scenes. Its the first time you see more than one Spartan which made a nice change (they kick a*s :D)
Like others have said the campaign is a little short but I think some of this has to do with Ensemble being closed down after the game?
Anyway onto Multiplayer which is where this game is really aimed at.
Having mainly played the AI for a while I can assure people who think that there is little startegy to play on Heroic or Legendary. The AI becomes quite ruthless and is far more rewarding.
Going online I have mainly been trounced on by either generally better players or unfortunatley people who Warthog rush (some people have obviously been watching the Xbox live strategy guides which describes exactly how to do this (as well as how to repel it...)
This has soured the MP a little for me as it becomes a bit frustrating but it is probably my thought for not anticapting their startegy etc.
When playing friends online it has been great fun and satisfiying. Also going to help a friend with co-op campaign soon.
All in all this game of course won't be played as much as Halo 3. I went on yesterday and there were 20,000 people online so people are still playing this, in 6 months who knows.
I rated this as 8 becuase it does allow new people to RTS to get a taster for them, the controls work well for the console (unlike say C&C3) and it appeals to Halo fans who want a bit more to satisfy their Halo cravings.

Well, I finished this last night, and I really, really enjoyed it - in fact about as much as I have any other strategy game. The story was good, the cut-scenes outstanding, the play well thought out and challenging (I do wonder if the people saying it was too easy were playing on Legendary, and if not why not) and the online matchmaking as good as the FPS versions.

No regrets with the excellent I gave it, I'd buy a well made sequel without hesitation.

Well, I finished this last night, and I really, really enjoyed it - in fact about as much as I have any other strategy game. The story was good, the cut-scenes outstanding, the play well thought out and challenging (I do wonder if the people saying it was too easy were playing on Legendary, and if not why not) and the online matchmaking as good as the FPS versions.

No regrets with the excellent I gave it, I'd buy a well made sequel without hesitation.

It's the surprise of the year so far for me, I just didn't think it would work and couldn't get hyped reading previews for it. Now I would buy a well made sequel in a heartbeat.

An 8 from me although it is a good game it lacks a bit of depth imo the ability to not hold troops and defend a place is sorely missed its these little things that make a good game excellent, much prefer a civ rev much more thinking about it and a bit more depth still a good game though and surprised me how good it was.

I'll start with this - I dont know why ppl like halo! futuristic non existant combat which make any sense with PEW PEW guns. ok that been said, i do like strategy games, and if u played this on the box ull understand that controls r simplified, and its possible to play. i like starcraft, warcraft not so much, this falls under sc category, and since halo was mostly shooter, i gave it a chance, and was not disapointed, its not great, as most units r simple and boring, but consept is new, controls and how some upgrade facilities r done

Very good game.

Not played it in probably around 6 months but If i had xbox live gold I'm sure I could pick it up and have fun with it instantly.

I'm not a halo-player at all, never owned any of the FPS games, but I really enjoy Halo Wars.

1000/1000G and I really wished they'd make a sequel :(

Very good game.

Not played it in probably around 6 months but If i had xbox live gold I'm sure I could pick it up and have fun with it instantly.

I'm not a halo-player at all, never owned any of the FPS games, but I really enjoy Halo Wars.

1000/1000G and I really wished they'd make a sequel :(

As I noted above, online is not what I was expecting and was disappointed.
Would be good to play custom games with people you know at first otherwise you'll get rushed within minutes.
Still its a good RTS for a console.

is there anyone still playing this online? As if so I may pick it up as it will be on the cheap now :)

is there anyone still playing this online? As if so I may pick it up as it will be on the cheap now :)

I was online yesterday and there was 2000 players online. Might not sound much but around release there was only about 10000 or so online.

It's far too simplistic. But I guess it's as good as a console can muster on this platform.

This is a very great game, but it seems like it's missing a few things

I was playing this about years ago and loved it. For a console rts, I thought it was really good. I actually even got a bit addicted to it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom