Animal Crossing: City Folk - discussion thread & opinion poll

How do you rate Animal Xing: City Folk? (please vote only after playing)

• 10 (Genre Defining/Perfect)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (Average)

• 4 (Below Average)

• 3 (Poor)

• 2 (Very Poor)

• Total voters

The Fuggler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was casually perusing the February edition of Edge over the weekend and I see that Animal Crossing on the Wii is going to be released this year in Japan. Happy days! :smashin:

The only downside is that the localisation process is likely to take a considerable time. :thumbsdow

Details are scant at this point, but I hope the ability to travel to other villages is included and expanded from the DS version, whilst the ability to create more than one village from the Gamecube version also makes it in.

I guess what worries me most about this is how it is going to dominate my gaming time for most of the year after it is released - despite me being 32 when it comes out!!

Might have to dust off the DS version!

My Girlfriend has this on the DS I cant get into it personally walking round talking to things does not appeal to me :)

seems fun on the ds dont know how much i would enjoy on the home console it not something you would want to sit down and seriously play.

It was great for half an hour before bed when you want something to play and chill out to. The humour in it is quite sharp. I think it appeals to the old skool collect 'em up in me.

Just thought I'd give this a little nudge up the board to see if anyone has heard anything about it. I think I have seen it mentioned that more info is due over the summer, but I haven't seen anything concrete.

Well Reggie did mention there was going to be a surprise announcement of a popular franchise heading to the Wii(I think it is to be announced at E3). Wouldn't surprise me if this is it as Nintendo wouldn't be the first company to surprise us with old news:rolleyes:

Looks like you were spot on Tetlee. Animal Crossing: City Folk was one of the big announcements at E3. From the information I have seen on the web it seems that it is basically more of the same (no bad thing?) but with greater interactivity and, more importantly, voice chat.

Hopefully, the voice chat will be backwards compatible and could be used with Mario Kart or Smash Brothers. The only thing that might hamper it is the amount of data being streamed in both those games I would imagine to be significantly higher than on Animal Crossing.

Key Updates:

- Graphics given a polish
- You get a bus to the city, where you can find the hairdresser (with Mii face option), auction house, Gracie's Boutique and the Happy Room Academy.
- Voice chat (the peripheral sits on top of your TV rather than being a headset)
- Integration with other media (e.g. PCs and Mobile Phone)

Brewster is back for the new edition as are all the old favourites such as fossils, insects and fish. It looks like more of the holiday events are back after going MIA in the DS version.

The game should be out in 2008, but which territories that means is yet to be confirmed.

More info from an IGN hands-on here:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/890/890136p1.html

Hopefully, the voice chat will be backwards compatible and could be used with Mario Kart or Smash Brothers. The only thing that might hamper it is the amount of data being streamed in both those games I would imagine to be significantly higher than on Animal Crossing.

The voice chat isn't going to be backward compatible. The only way voice chat can work is if it's included in game's net code in the first place. Unless Nintendo patches those games some how there is no way they can use the new microphone device. It's highly unlikely knowing the way they do things that Nintendo will patch existing games so I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you.

The voice chat isn't going to be backward compatible. The only way voice chat can work is if it's included in game's net code in the first place. Unless Nintendo patches those games some how there is no way they can use the new microphone device. It's highly unlikely knowing the way they do things that Nintendo will patch existing games so I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you.

Although I suppose there will always be a work around option should Nintendo decide to give us a useful channel for a change, Chat Channel:cool: That way you could fire it up and invite your friends, then make way into the non-chat games and hey presto, voice support!

of course knowing Nintendo I very much doubt this will happen, a spot the difference channel would probably be more likely:rolleyes:

Although I suppose there will always be a work around option should Nintendo decide to give us a useful channel for a change, Chat Channel:cool: That way you could fire it up and invite your friends, then make way into the non-chat games and hey presto, voice support!

of course knowing Nintendo I very much doubt this will happen, a spot the difference channel would probably be more likely:rolleyes:

True that is I suppose a possibility but as you say knowing Nintendo they will probably do this new "speakerphone" thing half heartedly and not give the kind of voice chat support Wii owners want and deserve.

Looks like we're all set for Friday 5 December according to numerous news sites. Some of the major players are starting to show this for pre-order.

And we've had a name change too. We now have the rather unsnappy 'Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City'. Should have kept it as it was. :thumbsdow

And we've had a name change too. We now have the rather unsnappy 'Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City'. Should have kept it as it was. :thumbsdow

:confused:What an awful game title, makes it sound like it's developed by Fisher Price:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, will edit the thread title:rolleyes:

Seeing as it's about animals (at looking at the buying demographic), maybe they should've called it Animal Crossing: Rex in the City :D.

IGN has an updated preview with Wii Speak.

Animal Crossing Preview

As for the game, whilst I would be happy with the best bits of the DS and Wii versions, I do hope they've got some new tricks up their sleeve.

The IGN review has just gone up, together with a video review(something which is often neglected when it comes to Wii games).

IGN: Animal Crossing: City Folk Review

They score it a Good 7.5/10 Sounds very similar to the Gamecube & DS versions(no NES unlockables as in the Gamecube version though).

I'm gonna wait for a review up at Gamespot and in the official Ninty mag first but it might be worth getting it with the Wii Speak pack. So then that way you'll have a good game and the ability to speak in online games, finally!

The IGN review has just gone up, together with a video review(something which is often neglected when it comes to Wii games).

IGN: Animal Crossing: City Folk Review

They score it a Good 7.5/10 Sounds very similar to the Gamecube & DS versions(no NES unlockables as in the Gamecube version though).

If you're a hardcore fan (is that possible with Animal Crossing?!) like me or new to the series then more of the same is fine. But is that enough for people in the middle? Time will tell...

How much does the talky whatsit add to the game? I'm leaning towards the game only package to be honest.

Not massively. Would be good if they patched Mario Kart to support it, but I'm not holding my breath!

1UP panned the new version as a lazy port:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171329

And Eurogamer joining the party:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=307152&page=2

I'll still be getting the game, but it's a shame that there hasn't been a bit more innovation.

Last edited:
So then that way you'll have a good game and the ability to speak in online games, finally!

That is assuming that other games will support online chat using Wii Speak and old games are patched to allow it too. To be honest I wouldn't hold your breath for either one. I don't want to sound negative but the online support for Wii games has been poor or non-existent so far and I doubt that will change especially when it comes to voice chat.

I'm gonna wait for a review up at Gamespot and in the official Ninty mag first but it might be worth getting it with the Wii Speak pack. So then that way you'll have a good game and the ability to speak in online games, finally!

Gamespot in with a 7.5 as well.

Gamespot Review

'The fact that the Animal Crossing games use the real date and time to determine what's going on in the game is undoubtedly one of the series' most interesting features. After all, there aren't many games in which time passes even when you're not playing. Unfortunately, this feature can also cause frustration; when the stores close, you can't sell anything and so your progress comes to a grinding halt. Fishing tournaments are held only on Saturdays, you can only buy turnips with which to dabble on the stock exchange on Sundays, and you could conceivably go an entire year without meeting some of the more interesting traders and performers who pass through your town if you don't happen to be playing when they visit.'

isn't this what's great about AC, the Randomness. it is for me. the joy of catching a fish I'd spent weeks or months waiting for was golden.

^I always wished Endless Ocean had gone done this route, would have been far more interesting if the clock had worked in real time so a late night dive would be just that.

isn't this what's great about AC, the Randomness. it is for me. the joy of catching a fish I'd spent weeks or months waiting for was golden.

Absolutely - roll on Friday!

Well the official Nintendo mag has given it a whopping 90% in this month's issue (although they do tend to be slightly biased with official Ninty games). They did admit that there wasn't really anything new for fans of the series but I guess Nintendo are pitching this towards new players and people who want to get the Wii Speak peripheral (although that is available seperately). I'm still undecided really, it sounds like a cutesy Sims-style game but with less things to do/less complications and I always found The Sims games to be quite boring after the initial excitement wore off.

I think I may get the Wii Speak device and then maybe get this as a rental game later on. On a not entirely unrelated side-note, I first though that Wii Speak would work with all games but in the background, similar to how some PC-based talk programs work. It's really disappointing that it entirely depends on whether a game supports it or not, here's hoping that more games will adopt it as I can see this being a huge hit with the FPS crowd on Wii.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom