Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games - discussion thread & opinion poll

How do you rate Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games? (vote only after playing)

• Total voters

Refused

Prominent Member
Reaction score
SEGA And Nintendo Join Forces For Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

PRESS RELEASE: SEGA And Nintendo Join Forces For Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Legendary Icons Appear Together for the First Time in Video Game History

SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co. Ltd. today made a historical announcement that two of the biggest icons in the entertainment industry, Mario™ and Sonic™, are joining forces to star in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Developed for the Wii™ video game system and the Nintendo DS™ system, this momentous agreement marks the first time these two renowned stars have appeared together in a game.

Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will be available for Christmas 2007 and is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, players will compete in events that take place in environments based on the official venues of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Using a supporting cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic, gamers will be able to compete as or against a range of lovable personalities including Mario, Sonic, Luigi™, Knuckles™, Yoshi®, Tails™ and more. Innovative usage of the Wii and DS control systems to maneuver a favourite character will allow players to race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track, engage in exhilarating rallies in table tennis and churn water in a swimming heat, all while competing for the much sought after gold medal.

“We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title,” said Hisao Oguchi, President and Chief Operating Officer, SEGA Corporation. “For the first time, two of the world’s greatest games’ characters come together to compete in the world’s greatest sporting event and we couldn’t be more excited.”

“Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games,” says Shigeru Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director and General Manager, Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.. “In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?”

“The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion,” said Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ISM. “Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations.”

mario-and-sonic-together-at-last-20070328021656883-000.jpg

Its not the 1st of April yet, but this could be another AAA title if it turns out to be real....

Theres no question its real. I think Sonic obviously has the speed for the spirits but his footwear is also an advantage over Mario's big clumpy boots.

Apart from the blue hedgehog I would fail to identify any of the other Sega characters so they don't bring much to the table. Looks like it will be a fun game even though I'd be much happier if it came from the Nintendo camp instead of handing over the character rights in the opposite direction.

There's a good interview over at CVG of how this came about, but don't get too used to the idea as it looks like it's the only meeting of the mascots, so Sonic won't be appearing on Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

I have to say though, it's good to see that Sony hasn't got the Olympic licence this time. All Sega (or someone good) has to do now is get the Formula One licence out of their hands then I would be happy.

its cool to see mario and sonic in a game together, and it should be a lot better than the usual boring bog standard official tie-in games with stuff like the Olympics.

There hasn't been a decent energetic sports game since International Track and Field on PSX. My hopes are high:)

Hope it features an online play mode, that could make this an essential.

I've been waiting for a decent button-basher (or will it now be 'arm flailer'?) for a while now and this looks set to fit the bill.

There hasn't been a decent energetic sports game since International Track and Field on PSX. My hopes are high:)

What about Wii Sports!!!????

That looks superb, brilliant graphics :eek::thumbsup:

Apparently it seems to be criticized for being too simple and not taking better advantage of the Wii and it's control method. It's still early days though so we will have to wait and see.

when sonic crossed the line it said goal, hopefully its winner in final version, should be fun like hammer throw event.

Nothing like a good old button masher.

I wonder if you will have to mash buttons or shake the remote as hard as you can.

No doubt adolescent teens will excel at this game! :D:eek:

Nothing like a good old button masher.

I wonder if you will have to mash buttons or shake the remote as hard as you can.

No doubt adolescent teens will excel at this game! :D:eek:

Seen several videos of this in action. You have to shake both the control and nunchuck to run. The same as in Monkey Ball.

Shouldn't a super-fast hedgehog who always wears trainers anyway have a massive adavantage over a fat plumber in the running events? Should even itself out in the shot putt I suppose :D

Shouldn't a super-fast hedgehog who always wears trainers anyway have a massive adavantage over a fat plumber in the running events? Should even itself out in the shot putt I suppose :D

:rotfl:

Loving the looks of this. I agree with the poster who mentioned International Track & Field on the PSX, loved that game and have waited for something else for ages.

Reckon I might need another 2 more wiimotes and nunchucks tho for 4 player as that looks fun :D

Alex

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom