SVS Cylinder Subwoofer Covers??

Member 6435

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning all

I noticed the other day that another forum member mentioned they were possibly going to replace the black velvet on a SVS cylinder with material to match their decor. Having additional covers in a range of colours is something Ian and I were discussing over the Christmas period and it would be interesting to hear what AVForums member's thought about this as we move this idea forward.

We would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who had considered a cylinder but did not purchase as it is currently only available in black. The cylinders would still be delivered in the current black fabric with the other covers as an 'add on' option.

In terms of materials - hopefully we could produce relatively inexpensive covers that fit the cylinders in a range of micro fibre fabrics to begin with. If this works well we may even extend this to other fabrics and materials (excluding wood veneer).

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

Would a high grade plastic laminate sleeve be another option maybe?.....?..... (for those who want to have a wood effect), the type of grade wooden-plastic stuff you see on car dash boards? This type of 'sleeve' could also offer gloss black too... Just thinking out loud ;)

I'd avoid coating it in white wool though, it would look like a huge tampax! :rotfl: :suicide:

Tony

I would consider a 'jacket' for it if they were professionally made and a reasonable price :D

Its already a talking point, but a bit boring in its little black dress - I would think a bit of colour would be great - add my name to the :thumbsup: list!

If you make covers i'll buy one AND a PC13U! :thumbsup:

The colour is the sole reason i opted for the Monolith over the PC13U (PB13U wouldn't fit :() So a cover the surrounding decor would be perfect IMO.

Don't tell my missus you're considering this though :rolleyes: Actually if it blends in she'll never realise, until the hoover hits it one day :D

Although, what about the base and the lid (which are currently black) .. starting to think it may look a little odd being a different colour ??

Add some designer shoes and a nice top hat to match maybe??
think Dusty Bin and Ted rogers.....

I think covers would be a great idea - as long as they did not actually look like an after thought if you get my quality drift.

Would a high grade plastic laminate sleeve be another option maybe?.....?..... (for those who want to have a wood effect), the type of grade wooden-plastic stuff you see on car dash boards? This type of 'sleeve' could also offer gloss black too... Just thinking out loud ;)

I'd avoid coating it in white wool though, it would look like a huge tampax! :rotfl: :suicide:

Tony

A gloss black PC Ultra cover would certainly interest me if it was possible.

And a tartan for all the Jocks :D

Seriously though in the old days SVS top of the range cylinder had a wooden veneer. It looked really smart but I think it was discontinued as it cost too much to make.

I would consider a 'jacket' for it if they were professionally made and a reasonable price :D

Afternoon

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Rest assured that if we did produce slip on covers they would be professionally made and be of 'sound' quality and not look as though they were an after thought.

In terms of the grill and base remaining in black as pointed out by Paul which is a good point I am not sure what we could do with this apart from supplying extra top grills that could be sprayed. The base is harder to deal with due to the plastic veneer so it may have to remain two 'tone' at the bottom. I guess SVS may be able to send a few extra bases over that again can be sprayed as I wouldn't have thought purchasers would spray the one that comes on the unit due to possible resale. Mind you they do say a 'woofer' is for life not just for Christmas:D

I'll send a link to the guys at SVS in case they want to make any comment. Keep the pros and cons comin.

Many thanks

I'd have to say a cautionary word on the potential devaluation of the pedigree (red, tiled, feathered e.t.c covers - where do you stop?). In the quest to offer choice you might inadvertently alienate your existing customer base.

Perhaps as special order items - not mainstream. I remember looking at some Mission m-cube speakers which you could 'dress up' to your taste. I suppose I'm saying this because I like the 'architectural-grade black fabric' :thumbsup:

I'd have to say a cautionary word on the potential devaluation of the pedigree (red, tiled, feathered e.t.c covers - where do you stop?). In the quest to offer choice you might inadvertently alienate your existing customer base.

Perhaps as special order items - not mainstream. I remember looking at some Mission m-cube speakers which you could 'dress up' to your taste. I suppose I'm saying this because I like the 'architectural-grade black fabric' :thumbsup:

Afternoon

Fair point regarding the pedigree of the product and I would see any possible covers would certainly be special order. All cylinders would still be shipped in their current form in black with the additional cover as an add on if required. I'm really trying to gauge whether there are many potential purchasers where a cylinder is not an option in black which may make this worth looking into further.

Regards

This for me is the main reason why I haven't bought one. The PB Ultra is just too big to fit.

The PC Ultra is vetoed by the wife as it would be an eye-sore (and have to admit I slightly agree). For me it would be sitting in front of either drawn red curtains or against the cream wall. Hence why a 4 foot black cylinder stands out. Also next to it are my Kef 104/2 in Rosewood.

So a neutral colour would be perfect. Just a simple cream oversock. Wouldn't have thought they would cost too much either.

I thought I'd seen a range of novelty covers here.

Russell

Now THAT I would buy!!

How good, haha can we have remote control wheels as well oh my god I love it!

On a serious note yes I would purchase Alastair.

Don't even think about where you stick the LFE plug.......:rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind a a nice bit of leather on my old cylinder. It would need to be backed by thin foam, I think, to hide the spiral wrap. Leather look black furnishing vinyl would be a more obvious choice. My lad had a 4 x 12 Marshall cab in bright red, vinyl look leather which was far larger than any sub I've ever seen so far. (except mine :devil:)

Matt, clear lacquered, birch-faced ply is smart and modern with a hint of Scandinavia. Available as aircraft/boating ply in fine veneer thicknesses it could be produced in pre-formed tubes ready to slide over just like a ...... :blush: ... sleeve. :smashin:

I wouldn't mind a a nice bit of leather on my old cylinder. It would need to be backed by thin foam, I think, to hide the spiral wrap. Leather look black furnishing vinyl would be a more obvious choice. My lad had a 4 x 12 Marshall cab in bright red, vinyl look leather which was far larger than any sub I've ever seen so far. (except mine :devil:)

Matt, clear lacquered, birch-faced ply is smart and modern with a hint of Scandinavia. Available as aircraft/boating ply in fine veneer thicknesses it could be produced in pre-formed tubes ready to slide over just like a ...... :blush: ... sleeve. :smashin:

Nimby, welcome back - you were missed.

Blimey, Nimby!

Good to hear you fella!!

OMG - Nice to see you to see you - Nice :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom