NEW: Wharfedale Diamond 10 series

If your going for the 10.5s for your fronts then you really should be looking at the 10.2's for the rears.

I have the 10.4s for my fronts and they are brilliant, really nice design and sound great.

I have the 10.1s for the rears and they match really well but I remember when I was deciding which ones to go for that if I was to get the 10.5s for my fronts then the 10.2s would have been the better match for the rears.

I have a 10CC centre speaker but if your going for the 10.5s then I would get the biggest centre either the 10CS or 10CM (10cm being the preffered option)

Whichever combo you choose you will not be dissapointed, they are sleek and have a great gloss finish. Couple this with a GEmini amp also gloss black finish and you have a mint setup!

Last edited:
If your going for the 10.5s for your fronts then you really should be looking at the 10.2's for the rears.

I have the 10.4s for my fronts and they are brilliant, really nice design and sound great.

I have the 10.1s for the rears and they match really well but I remember when I was deciding which ones to go for that if I was to get the 10.5s for my fronts then the 10.2s would have been the better match for the rears.

I have a 10CC centre speaker but if your going for the 10.5s then I would get the biggest centre either the 10CS or 10CM (10cm being the preffered option)

Whichever combo you choose you will not be dissapointed, they are sleek and have a great gloss finish. Couple this with a GEmini amp also gloss black finish and you have a mint setup!

I may opt for the setup you have then considering the set up i was thinking about works out quite a bit more expensive. Read your input in this thread for a couple of hours last night and found it really useful.

I've got the Yamaha amp though so for the time being the Gemini one that you are talking about won't be possible. I wonder if these speakers will match up with my amp???

Does you listen to music much on your system much? I want it to sound really good when it comes to this you see.

The amp I have is an amazing amp it haS so much fire in its belly it's like having a normal music amp and av amp rolled into one box.

There's a new version of my amp out but isn't worth the money really has a few gimmicky extras but I won't be upgrading.

Music sounds excellent due to the power it has.

I got my setup from Richer sounds and saved quite a bit they had to order the 10.4s in specially but wasnt a problem.

Will have a look at your amp when i can get to a pc i am on my phone at the mo.

The amp I have is an amazing amp it haS so much fire in its belly it's like having a normal music amp and av amp rolled into one box.

There's a new version of my amp out but isn't worth the money really has a few gimmicky extras but I won't be upgrading.

Music sounds excellent due to the power it has.

I got my setup from Richer sounds and saved quite a bit they had to order the 10.4s in specially but wasnt a problem.

Will have a look at your amp when i can get to a pc i am on my phone at the mo.

Thanks mate. I'd really apreciate it. Thanks for you help so far by the way.

Bluewizard helped me choose my system.

He's also got diamond range he's very knowledgable.

Yeah I noticed when reading this thread. He seems very knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully he may pop along and give me some advice at some point.

Yeah I noticed when reading this thread. He seems very knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully he may pop along and give me some advice at some point.

If not then drop him a PM.

Gaz, just to let u know, Richer sounds have got the 10cm on special offer for £149, you should ring them and special order one quick if you want one, they dont hang around long at that price!

I have wharfedale diamond 10 set up combined with yamaha amp and im really into my music, I love the sound it produces, if you look at the previous page you will see some pics of my set up.

I currently have 10.1, 10cm and 10.0. Im saving to upgrade my fronts to 10.5 not because thers anything wrong but because i have terrible upgraditus!!
I really recommend Diamond 10 speakers especially the 10cm center, the extra mid-range driver make a hell of a difference to dialog on films! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Gaz, just to let u know, Richer sounds have got the 10cm on special offer for £149, you should ring them and special order one quick if you want one, they dont hang around long at that price!

I have wharfedale diamond 10 set up combined with yamaha amp and im really into my music, I love the sound it produces, if you look at the previous page you will see some pics of my set up.

I currently have 10.1, 10cm and 10.0. Im saving to upgrade my fronts to 10.5 not because thers anything wrong but because i have terrible upgraitus!!
I really recommend Diamond 10 speakers especially the 10cm center, the extra mid-range driver make a hell of a difference to dialog on films! :thumbsup:

You will make me jealous I physically have no room for the 10cm in my setup!

You will make me jealous I physically have no room for the 10cm in my setup!

lol, I purchased it last time RS had this deal on! I had to find a way to fit it in!! did you see the pics of my set up? its on previous page right at the bottom.

Just a couple of other questions (seeing as I'm a bit of a novice at this!!!):

My current set up is 40" samsung which had 3 hdmi ports (have a 3 way splitter available too if need be), ps3 connected to tv via hdmi, sky box connected to tv via hdmi and acer recto connected to tv via hdmi. Once I have got my amp up and running (when i decide and received my speakers) what would be the best way to connect each component to the amp?

Also, what sort of speaker cable should I be looking at using to connect the speakers up to the amp (assuming I go for the Wharfedales)???

Thanks for all your help so far guys

Last edited:
Just a couple of other questions (seeing as I'm a bit of a novice at this!!!):

My current set up is 40" samsung which had 3 hdmi ports (have a 3 way splurged available too if need be), ps3 connected to tv via hdmi, sky box connected to tv via hdmi and acer recto connected to tv via hdmi. Once I have got my amp up and running (when i decide and received my speakers) what would be the best way to connect each component to the amp?

Also, what sort of speaker cable should I be looking at using to connect the speakers up to the amp (assuming I go for the Wharfedales)???

Thanks for all your help so far guys

you connect each component via hdmi to the av receiver(hdmi in), then one hdmi from the receiver to the tv. (hdmi out on receiver)
I have Yamaha rx-v465 and it has 4 hdmi inputs and one hdmi out.

Your av receiver will then become your hdmi switching box so to speak.
As for speaker cables, I have my wharfedales connected using Cambridge audio symphony bi-wire, i purchased this at Richer sounds, I find it sounds lovely with my set up, But thats entirely up to you, some say speaker wire choice makes no difference, others say it does, I think it does make a difference (well thats what i told the missis so she would let me spend the extra few quid lol!):rotfl:

Had Diamond 9.1 Anniversarys in walnut for past 2-3 yrs and served me very very well paired with my Denon DM37...... just purchased a pair of 10.2's in walnut for fronts and a 10 cm centre in walnut with the 9.1's to be moved to the rear; to be set up as a 5.0 config, with my new Yamaha xrv667 amp.....wonder if i need to buy a wharfedale sub soon? lol........ mmmmm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have just bitten the bullet and ordered a pair of black 10.5's from Amazon for £479. Could have perhaps got them a bit cheaper elsewhere but would have had to wait that while longer, plus i have ordered from Amazon plenty of times before and never had any problems. Plus it gets the ball rolling!!!!

When it comes to the speaker cable, do i have to buy the cable, cut it down, attach bits and bobs to the ends of it etc or can i order whatever length i want from somewhere and it just be a case of plugging it in to the back of the speaker and in to the back of the amp? Any links would be apreciated too.

Think i will eventually go for the 10.2's as rears and the 10CM as a centre to complete my set up. That set up should be fairly future proof for a while too hopefully.

Thanks for everyones advice and help so far by the way

I currently have 10.1, 10cm and 10.0. Im saving to upgrade my fronts to 10.5 not because thers anything wrong but because i have terrible upgraditus!!

Cheers for the advice on the 10CM. Seems to be at least £20 cheaper from RS than anywhere else on the net. Just spoke to a chap on the phone. They have none in stock at the moment but can order in for me and reserve so i said thats fine. Said it could take a couple of weeks to get them in though so will wait and see.

Cheers for the advice on the 10CM. Seems to be at least £20 cheaper from RS than anywhere else on the net. Just spoke to a chap on the phone. They have none in stock at the moment but can order in for me and reserve so i said thats fine. Said it could take a couple of weeks to get them in though so will wait and see.

Yea thats what i did, took a couple of weeks to arrive!
I promise u wont be dissapointed with it!
Awesome bit of kit :smashin:

lol, I purchased it last time RS had this deal on! I had to find a way to fit it in!! did you see the pics of my set up? its on previous page right at the bottom.

Yeh looks good. However I have no room at all to fit it in and the 10CC fits perfectly on my stand.

Well, this is just one man's opinion, but, especially since you've already bought the speakers, the Diamond will certainly do a good job for you.

As to the Diamond 10.2 in the rear, I think that is somewhat overkill, but I can't go so far as to say it is wrong. The prefect system would be identical speaker all round. If you have 10.5, then 10.5 front, center, and rear. But from a practical perspective, a floorstanding center is not possible. And even large bookshelf speaker can be hard to place in the rear.

But, again, there is no right and wrong. The rear speaker don't have to handle as heavy duty a load as the front and center which are far more critical. As such, you frequently find much smaller speakers in the rear. Most Diamond systems use the very small 10.0 in the rear, and the 10.1 in back is considered a real step upward. Keep in mind that the Diamond 10.1 is perfectly capable of standing on its own as a nice compact stereo speaker, so rear duty is a cruise for it.

However, if you feel you need more in the rear, then that is your personal choice.

As to the larger 10.CM Center, do keep in mind that this really is a pretty large speaker, and is unlikely to fit most equipment stands. It is the Center I would prefer, but I would be using it with the largest 10.7 speakers. For smaller front speaker, the 10.CM is overkill; the 10.CS is most popular and more than capable when combined with the smaller floorstanding speakers.

That said, the price on the 10.CM has come down, and at the moment, they are very attractive. But do make sure you understand how big this speaker is. It is no pixie. Also, the Diamond 10.2 are also somewhat large for a bookshelf speaker.

Diamond 10.1 -
(H * W * D): 296 * 194 * 278 mm (11.7" x 7.64" x 10.9")

Diamond 10.2 -
(H * W * D): 364 * 223 * 301 mm (14.3" x 7.8" x 11.85")

Diamond 10.CS -
(H*W*D): 189 * 400 * 233 mm (7.44" x 15.75" x 9.17")

Diamond 10.CM -
(H*W*D): 223 * 535 * 295 mm (7.8" x 21.1" x 11.6")

There is really no right or wrong here, if you are happy, then the world is happy. But keep you budget under control. Though in this case, the difference between the various speakers is small.

As to interconnect cables and wire, get good cable and wire, but don't get carried away. In most cases, standard 2.5mm² in the range of £1 to £3 per meter is fine.

Check this thread for more details -

See Post# 19 -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/what...0327-500-700-budget-need-recommendations.html

I'm not sure if that answers all your questions, but I'll check back in the thread. I'll be very interested to hear how you like you new amps and speaker. I don't know about yours, but my Diamond 9.6 took a long time to get broke in.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Well, this is just one man's opinion, but, especially since you've already bought the speakers, the Diamond will certainly do a good job for you.

As to the Diamond 10.2 in the rear, I think that is somewhat overkill, but I can't go so far as to say it is wrong. The prefect system would be identical speaker all round. If you have 10.5, then 10.5 front, center, and rear. But from a practical perspective, a floorstanding center is not possible. And even large bookshelf speaker can be hard to place in the rear.

But, again, there is no right and wrong. The rear speaker don't have to handle as heavy duty a load as the front and center which are far more critical. As such, you frequently find much smaller speakers in the rear. Most Diamond systems use the very small 10.0 in the rear, and the 10.1 in back is considered a real step upward. Keep in mind that the Diamond 10.1 is perfectly capable of standing on its own as a nice compact stereo speaker, so rear duty is a cruise for it.

However, if you feel you need more in the rear, then that is your personal choice.

As to the larger 10.CM Center, do keep in mind that this really is a pretty large speaker, and is unlikely to fit most equipment stands. It is the Center I would prefer, but I would be using it with the largest 10.7 speakers. For smaller front speaker, the 10.CM is overkill; the 10.CS is most popular and more than capable when combined with the smaller floorstanding speakers.

That said, the price on the 10.CM has come down, and at the moment, they are very attractive. But do make sure you understand how big this speaker is. It is no pixie. Also, the Diamond 10.2 are also somewhat large for a bookshelf speaker.

Diamond 10.1 -
(H * W * D): 296 * 194 * 278 mm (11.7" x 7.64" x 10.9")

Diamond 10.1 -
(H * W * D): 364 * 223 * 301 mm (14.3" x 7.8" x 11.85")

Diamond 10.CS -
(H*W*D): 189 * 400 * 233 mm (7.44" x 15.75" x 9.17")

Diamond 10.CM -
(H*W*D): 223 * 535 * 295 mm (7.8" x 21.1" x 11.6")

There is really no right or wrong here, if you are happy, then the world is happy. But keep you budget under control. Though in this case, the difference between the various speakers is small.

As to interconnect cables and wire, get good cable and wire, but don't get carried away. In most cases, standard 2.5mm² in the range of £1 to £3 per meter is fine.

Check this thread for more details -

See Post# 19 -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/what...0327-500-700-budget-need-recommendations.html

I'm not sure if that answers all your questions, but I'll check back in the thread. I'll be very interested to hear how you like you new amps and speaker. I don't know about yours, but my Diamond 9.6 took a long time to get broke in.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks ever so much for your advice and input mate. It's very much apreciated.

Regarding cables, would the following cable be sufficient and connect up to the 10.5 speakers I have ordered and also my Yamaha amp without any problems? Would they be ok? If so I will order tomorrow. If not could people advise?

This is the cable I have seen.

Fisual Install Series Phono Cables - Phono / RCA Cables - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

Ideally I'd want a thin cable that can be tacked along the top of the skirting boards for my rear speakers. Are these cables available?

Last edited:
The Cable you are showing is NOT SPEAKER CABLE or wire, it is cable to connect a input device like a CD Player to the amp.

You want something like this -

Fisual Speaker Cable - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

Or this -

Value Speaker Cable - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

Which can be found listed under the heading - "Speaker Cables" in the menus on the upper left.

Steve/bluewizard

Which cable would you go for in my position? Preferably one that isn't really chunky but does the job and doesn't need any cutting cables/attaching ends etc!!!
Cheers for the advice.

What would your personal preference be if you were in my position? Preferably cable that isn't really chunky but does the job well. Ideally something that doesn't need cutting/putting ends On and that is all ready to plug in to amp/speaker

ok I figured this thread was the best place to post.

I have now had a pair of 10.7's hooked up to my PC via an Onkyo TX-SR307 (sound card is an X-fi Titanium) for a couple of weeks and they are absolutely mind-blowingly wonderful. If you are considering getting a pair stop wasting your life and buy them.

They are in fact a FOUR WAY system, not 3-way as others have suggested here. You will note the specifications have three crossover points. Each driver in the enclosure has its own frequency range, and I've confirmed this by point-blank listening tests with my ear in front of each driver in turn :)

Positioning them was tricky as they need serious clearance not only behind them but to the sides. I would leave at least a foot either side of them, preferably two and a foot behind. If I have them too close to my desk the whole thing vibrates along to the music, a nastily unhelpful effect.

They did take a few days to wear in. They sounded good when I first hooked them up but the bass got progressively more powerful over a few days' listening. They are now the best thing I've ever heard. Incredibly clear at any volume, I've found they're great for discerning obscure lyrics from songs I couldn't hear clearly enough in the past. Doesn't matter what the singer's mumbling, the 10.7's deliver it loud and clear.

Too good in fact. I've encountered several problems:

1. Staying up until 3am listening to my entire music collection again, flipping from track to track like some kind of audio junkie, rediscovering each piece in turn
2. Any recording I have which is any way sub-par needs replacing, as the clarity these things deliver shows up any flaws
3. A friend came over the other day and we ended up having to listen to all of HER music collection, which was fun but it ate several hours. These speakers will consume time
4. I've started eyeing off my other audio equipment, thinking of replacing bits with more Diamond 10 series. More on that later.

In short, I rate these a BUY and happy to answer any further questions.

One last detail: I have not bi-wired them as I don't understand how it could make any difference. If anyone could explain to me what bi-wiring can do (without breaking any laws of physics) let me know.

The biggest and worst curse of buying a pair of 10.7's is that I've been listening to my other audio equipment around here and frowning at its lack of perfection.

In particular, I have a Yamaha 794 HT kit, which includes the "euro" series speakers. This isn't a 794 review, but I find that the centre and rear speakers in that kit are badly outmatched by the bigger fronts. (all 2-way, but the fronts have 16cm woofers whereas the centre and rears have little 8cm ones)

A Diamond 10 CM is an obvious choice for a replacement centre, but I'm a bit concerned about the rears. One of them is literally on a bookshelf and should be no issue as there's nothing behind it but hallway, but the right rear is hard up against a wall. If that weren't the case then a pair of 10.2's would be another obvious choice to me. However, I am interested to know if anyone's ever mounted a 10.1 or 10.2 speaker with its back to a wall? What was the result? Did Armageddon ensue?

Later on, I would consider replacing my fronts with Diamond 10.5's. 10.6's lack the mid-dome I've come to love from my 10.7's and the extra low frequency woofer on the 10.7's would be useless in my HT setup as I have a subwoofer already.

Regards,
Jam

They are in fact a FOUR WAY system, not 3-way as others have suggested here. You will note the specifications have three crossover points.

They are 3.5-way speakers, just for the record, but let's not quibble.

Oh, and why are you using a AV surround amp with just a pair of stereo speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

They are 3.5-way speakers, just for the record, but let's not quibble.

Oh, and why are you using a AV surround amp with just a pair of stereo speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

Nope, they're 4-way, check the specs. 3 crossover points = 4 way. First crossover point is at 150hz, they basically have an inbuilt sub. 150hz, 850hz, and 4.5khz

I've got an AV surround amp for two main reasons:

1. Couldn't find a digital stereo amp (Didn't look that hard though) and I really wanted to hook the PC up via fibre rather than an analogue cable.

2. I play games on this system too and one day might want to go with some kind of surround, although I haven't been tempted yet :)

Regards,
James

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom