5.1 or 7.1 Speaker location help

Indecisive

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a little help with regards to my speaker location on my new set-up.

I have taken Grooves floating wall and decided to insert it into my living room to show off my new panny 50PZ81B.

My amp Denon AVR-3802 (although gathering the years) and speakers Kef KHT1005 (although not high end) still give me all I need and then some so I will be using these in my set-up.

First question, given my seating position from the rear wall, is it worth adding some in-wall speakers to the rear to use the 7.1 output or should I save the money and stick to 5.1 (would it even work)?

Second question, what is the best distance apart for front speakers (I will be 9ft from the screen)?

Third question, best height and location for my surrounds (base of Plasma is at seating eye level = 33" high)?

Forth, I know sub position is not mega important but any recomendations would be welcome......

1 point to note is that the sofa to the side will not need to be considered.

Thanks in advance :smashin:

Here are a few quick Google sketch-ups to help with my questions.

Livingroom1.jpg

Livingroom2.jpg

Livingroom3.jpg

Livingroom4.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know, but I have a similar proportioned room and am pondering the same question!

The standard diagrams (ones I've seen so far) show the viewer in the middle of the room, but I too would like recommendations for when you're sat against the back wall.

Am thinking of Q Acoustics 1010/1030/1050i package but with Q-AV BMR omnidirectional surround/rears mounted up at coving height; either at each side for 5.1 or side/rear for 7.1. Amp is similar to yours, 3805.

Andy

My 2p for what it's worth, stick with 5.1. i'm looking at a similar scenario with no room behind the sofa for the 6+7 speakers and have been led to believe its not worth it in this case.

The rears should be level or just behind you when you are on the sofa, and about 2 ft above ear height. So wall mount them/or stand mount them either side of the sofa.

The sub, personally I guess see if it sounds good in the top left corner of the second picture, pointing at the door, if so leave it there. Otherwise you can move it to all convenient locations and listen.

As for front speaker placements, not a clue.

Thanks for your replies guys, was starting to think my thread was invisible :D. I have been having a think myself and have come up with this?

SpeakersFrontSub.jpg

Rearspeakers.jpg

Side speakers will be approx 2m high and angled down and towards the viewing area

Rears will flush in-wall mounted and be on each side of the main sofa (THX recommend right next to each other but I felt my option would give 2 viewers the chance to receive a stereo output rather then hearing both L + R in 1 viewers left ear and the other viewers right ear {hope that makes sense})

I know its not THX perfect, but with the limited space I just wonder how it would perform? Surely if I tell my amp the distances from the viewing area, the speakers would compensate???

I have just read that the front side speakers should be at approx 45 degree angles from the central seating position and at eye level.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom