Return of the King. DD stereo only?

Bill Hicks

Ex Member
Reaction score
Watching The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King on C4 HD and it's only being broadcast in stereo.
Or have I got my settings wrong on my amp?

it's not being broadcast in HD either dangit! Really want these films on blu-ray...

I've just realised that non of my Sky channels (Inc HD channels!) are being received in anything other than stereo!
What the ......!!!

I have my Sky HD box outputting in DD stereo vis optical and my AV receiver set to auto. In the past this setting would set my AV amp to playback either in Prologic 5.1 surround or DD 5.1 surround depending on the broadcast.
But at the moment it's only playing back in stereo!

Anyone know what is going on? :confused:

Last edited:
You only get stereo via HDMI, if you want 5.1 then you have to use optical or coaxial (later models only) which has been the case since day1. You have never listened to DD5.1 via the SKY+HD HDMI I'm afraid:)

You only get stereo via HDMI, if you want 5.1 then you have to use optical or coaxial (later models only) which has been the case since day1. You have never listened to DD5.1 via the SKY+HD HDMI I'm afraid:)

Yeah I'm using optical ( Sorry my post originally said HDMI!) but I'm only getting stereo!

Yeah I'm using optical ( Sorry my post originally said HDMI!) but I'm only getting stereo!

C4 HD dont seems to broascast a lot of material in DD 5.1, even films. I switched over and seen DD 2.0 and switched off, the picture quality comapred to Jools Holland was not a patch visually.

But even if C4 or say BBC1/BBC2 don't broadcast in DD 5.1 surely my amp would switch the broadcast sound over to prologic II surround?
At least that's what it used to do when I had a Sky + SD box connected to my amp with stereo audio leads.
But after upgrading to Sky HD and connecting with a optical lead I expected the sound to switch to DD 5.1 with some HD channels or Prologic at least for the rest!

I've looked at the settings on my Sky+ HD box and there two audio output settings, mono or stereo.
I've set the Sky box to output stereo of course as there is no 5.1 or surround output setting.

Is there an answer, or will I have to listen to all my TV channels (Except Sky1 HD/Discovery channel HD) in plain old stereo?
:confused:

It will be a setting on your amp, you probably need to apply dolby prologic processing to your optical input.

But even if C4 or say BBC1/BBC2 don't broadcast in DD 5.1 surely my amp would switch the broadcast sound over to prologic II surround?
At least that's what it used to do when I had a Sky + SD box connected to my amp with stereo audio leads.
But after upgrading to Sky HD and connecting with a optical lead I expected the sound to switch to DD 5.1 with some HD channels or Prologic at least for the rest!

I've looked at the settings on my Sky+ HD box and there two audio output settings, mono or stereo.
I've set the Sky box to output stereo of course as there is no 5.1 or surround output setting.

Is there an answer, or will I have to listen to all my TV channels (Except Sky1 HD/Discovery channel HD) in plain old stereo?
:confused:

Have you made sure the sound is set to "Dolby" on your Sky HD box?

I had a look at my amps set up this morning and I managed to get it outputting sound in prologic II and DD5.1 on some other channels again.
Don't know why it switched to stereo, probably been doing that for months, just noticed it last night when watching Return of the King on C4 HD and I couldn't believe that I was only getting stereo!

Thanks for your replies people. :thumbsup:

Interesting. With my previous Sky+ box, if a programme was only DD2.0 my amp switched automatically to pro-logic, with my Sky HD boxes it doesn't.

There are a couple of exceptions though. When Sky Movies show a non 5.1 film and the non 5.1 programmes on the Disney channels switch to pro logic.

I have a Kenwood amp circa 2001.

I had a look at my amps set up this morning and I managed to get it outputting sound in prologic II and DD5.1 on some other channels again.
There's no such thing as a Pro Logic II source or output. The actual output is only stereo, the control of the mode is entirely down to your amplifier/processor and what the default is set to.

i initially had this problem when got sky hd, i had my amp set to auto and it needed changing to digital, hey presto 5.1!

It will be a setting on your amp, you probably need to apply dolby prologic processing to your optical input.

My old amp would simply not allow DPL to be applied to the digital input. If DD2.0 came in ... it would only allow two channels of audio to come out (well, it may have routed some of the bass to the sub, but you get my drift).

I used to switch over to the phono cables to get an old fashioned analogue stereo input - which it would perform DPL on. For the record my newer amp (a Denon) has no such quibbles. I was also surprised just how much better the DPL sounded when applied to a DD2.0 signal than an analogue stereo one. I guess the extra quality in the DD signal allows a more accurate DPL decode to be done.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom