SKYHD Box keeps going on standby

DoubleStew

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had a Thompson box for 2 years. Just recently it has been driving me nuts by suddenly going on to standby. I'm sitting watching TV and 'click' it's on standby. I switch off at the mains, wait a few minutes, switch it back on - reboots and then everything is fine ... for anything between 2 minutes to 2 hours (went a week recently... wooohoo!) then 'click' and I'm back on standby.

I've phoned Sky and done what they suggesed: turned auto-standby off, take cables out of back and put back in and, a full reset. Today, the day before their are important relegation battles on Sky Sports, my box has so far gone on to standby 5 times.

I don't know if it is coincidence but this all seemed to start just after the menu update.

Any suggestions anyone or is it Sky Engineer time?

I've had a Thompson box for 2 years. Just recently it has been driving me nuts by suddenly going on to standby. I'm sitting watching TV and 'click' it's on standby. I switch off at the mains, wait a few minutes, switch it back on - reboots and then everything is fine ... for anything between 2 minutes to 2 hours (went a week recently... wooohoo!) then 'click' and I'm back on standby.

I've phoned Sky and done what they suggesed: turned auto-standby off, take cables out of back and put back in and, a full reset. Today, the day before their are important relegation battles on Sky Sports, my box has so far gone on to standby 5 times.

I don't know if it is coincidence but this all seemed to start just after the menu update.

Any suggestions anyone or is it Sky Engineer time?

Join the club!:(

Many (inc me) believe it is a software fault on the new epg

My Thomson box sometimes won't switch on in the morning and sometimes fancies a sleep in the middle of the day. As you say, a reboot fixes it, until the next time

Couple of things you may try while they sort things out (I can't think they don't know about it)

Switch off the anytime facility

Switch of the overnight auto switch off

..............and replace the PSU !

..............and replace the PSU !

If it is a faulty PSU, wouldn't the box just not work?

How much would a PSU be - I've had a quick search and it seems they are around £40 but I can get an engineer and possibly a new box for £65?

it's a well known psu issue. There's a guy in buxton
Who charges about £36 for the service inc the new psu

If it is a faulty PSU, wouldn't the box just not work?

It depends which of the capacitors have failed. Usual symptoms are No Signal messages, failed recordings, box not coming out of standby, box suddenly going into standby either on its own, or when attempting doing two recordings and simultaneously watching an existing recording. And so it goes on.

An overheating box will also cause the box to switch itself off, so make sure it's somewhere it can breathe properly. It has fans for a purpose. If it has been overheating for any length of time, the damage caused to the capacitors is irreversible, I'm afraid.

There are plenty of posts here on taking the Satcure DIY route, or get Sky to come out. Beware, you may end up with a pig-in-the-poke replacement box.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

it's a well known psu issue. There's a guy in buxton
Who charges about £36 for the service inc the new psu

There is a guy in Buxton

He fixed mine for me while I waited...well had a half actually.
Charged about £35.00 with a receipt.

My box has been perfect since

Fingers crossed, a whole day without any dreaded 'click' and off to standby land.

Switch of the overnight auto switch off

Which option is that ?

And what is purple screen ?

well I switch auto standby off

Check the listing and notice Fringe double bill and Amazon with Bruce Parry (BBC HD) not recorded. :thumbsdow

I sent an email to Sky customer services and I've just had a call from them (7:30pm on a Bank holiday!).

The lady was sorry to hear of my troubles and has given me credit for a months subscription (£46) and has got an engineer to come out 3 days earlier than I had originally booked, though that's still 6 days time :(

Looks like it pays to complain.

TV is virtually unwatchable now, if I leave the box switched off for about 12 hrs I can then get a few hours in before the dreaded 'click'. Nothing gets recorded. In simple terms, the box is buggered.

I expect the engineer will offer me a refurbished box, does it matter what it is as it will come with a 12 month warranty?

Thanks everyone who has responded to this thread, the trauma of having a dysfunctional sky box was made that bit easier to bear.

Last edited:
This has nowt to do with the PSU as i replaced mine a while ago, the switching off has happened a couple of times recently.

I expect the engineer will offer me a refurbished box, does it matter what it is as it will come with a 12 month warranty?

Normally only 3 months warranty on a replacement box I'm afraid................new or refurbished.

Sky Engineer came today and in his opinion from the symptoms I gave him it is the PSU/capacitors. He said he has replaced 'quite a few boxes'.

Got a refurbished Thomson box which still has the old EPG. I shall be watching with interest (or maybe not watching!) what happens when the EPG downloads.

if you unplug HDMI cable ie change output from TV to projector for example it will crash Sky HD Box. (Pace with new EPG)

Err, not being funny but isn't this Sky's attempt to 'Go Red, Be Green'. Had a power cut last night and that's what the guy on the default channel after power cycle kept saying. I've had this problem for ages and now know why.

Suppose everyone has got to think about their carbon footprint nowadays.

There is a guy in Buxton

He fixed mine for me while I waited...well had a half actually.
Charged about £35.00 with a receipt.

My box has been perfect since
Have we contact details for the Buxton guy?

Mines started the switching off, a Thompson box 2 and a half years old.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom