FIFA 2008 Xbox 360 reviews

What would you rate FIFA 08?

• Total voters

durera

Prominent Member
Reaction score
3359530x.jpg

A FIFA game that has seemingly won over a large portion of PES gamers who've been disappointed by FIFA titles for over a decade in some cases -- what do you think of the latest iteration of EA Sports football title?

Please avoid direct comparisons with the PES series. Review the game in it's own right. Whether you think it's better than PES is not the issue. Stick to opinions about this game please; there's plenty of other threads to engage in pointless PES vs FIFA debate.

Can mods please delete any "PES vs FIFA" type-posts to avoid yet another thread descending into the inevitable PES v FIFA argument.

A 10 should only be given for a landmark game that sets new rules, a 9 for a truly excellent game without a fundamental flaw, and an average game that does things right but nothing special should get a 5 (not a 7 like some reviews would have you believe).

For me this is the best football game I have played. No questions asked. This game is as big a step forward as the first "FIFA International Football" was way back when on the SEGA Megadrive.

This is a genre-defining game for me. It has set new expectations for what a football game should offer. The be a pro mode is delightful, suceeding where Libero Grande so spectactularly failed in reproducing the experience of being one player with a game of football going on around you.

The flow of the matches is incredibly realistic, everything just feels solid and real, there's a natural momentum to all the movements in the game. My biggest gripe with FIFA over the last few years have been how it felt like the players foated across the pitch, this is like chalk and cheese to that.

Graphically it's very pretty, if still suffering from the plastic sheen of previous FIFA titles a little.

I'll be holding off placing my final vote until I've explored more of the game, particularly the online side, but at the moment it's looking like being my first 10/10 rating -- this coming from someone who hasn't enjoyed any FIFA title in a decade! EA have really done it this time.

Would have to give this a 9/10. Absolutely outstanding title, and a huge improvement on previous releases (including the demo). I just cant stop playing this, and thats just single player.
Playability, graphics, sound, atmosphere, commentary, all the options, be a pro, just incredible.

The only downside (and I mean only, is that I struggle with the free kicks, and the skill moves are a bit of a gimick on the tele view). Still, when you are playing 2 top teams, the games are belting.

Going to start playing online tonight, but love it ! love it ! love it !

I was going to buy 'the other one', but I honestly cant see me moving away from this - its that good

8/10 from me.

I think it is a massive step up over FIFA 07. However there are a few things that niggle at me as I play it, such as the sometimes sloppy responsiveness and the feeling that when you shoot the ball is travelling at about 2 mph.

Other than that, great game :)

I definitely need to give this one more time before I score it. It's probably an 8 at the moment because it's undoubtedly an excellent game, but I feel I've not squeezed enough out of it yet. Yet to try the Be A Pro mode, or fiddle with the online leagues yet, which could be excellent.

There are a few niggles at the moment - every time I concede a free kick just outside my box, the CPU scores from it. It's been like 4 from 4. Some of the player movement is just a touch too...artificial at times, though I now realise there's a button to provoke a run from other players!

So all in, very good first impressions, with the potential to get even better.

I too am pleased with the game. I played the 07 demo, I didn't end up buying it the end because I've only had my 360 a few months, so thought I would hold out for 08 to come out.

I've played it quite a lot and it's a good game; graphics are quality, along with the sound and game play.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed with, is the skills. I don't know if it's because I'm not very good at it, but I find when I try to do skill moves, a lot of the time my players don't react; they're just stood there like lemons!

I don't expect defenders or anything to be full of skill moves, but I'm playing a season with Chelsea and players like Joe Cole, who are skillful don't really do anything. Again, I don't know if it's because I'm not very good at the game yet, or if it actually is a down side to the game.

Overall, the game is quality. I've scored some great goals!

8 at the moment for me.
Although i haven't played much online yet and if 5v5 comes soon , it may give it the addictiveness i feel its lacking.

Think i'm gonna have to go out and buy this game, Found the demo very hard to score but if i'm honest i never really gave it a chance, Looking very promising from the comments here so far :)

Im gunna give it 1. Thats mainly because im a PES fanboy.

:D :devil:

Seriously though, i havnt actually got this game so im not gunna vote. Ive always gone for PES in the past - but after playing both demos i think Fifa is actually more my cup of tea this year. Its good to see Fifa trying hard, and hopefully PES will pull its finger out a try harder too! Whether you like the new feel PES or not, you cant deny Fifa out does PES in the online department. Im still holding out for PES in hope its poilshed, tweaked and finished - by finished i mean proper online features etc. If PES is lazy again (imo) i'll be jumping ship this year. Its good to see a decent Fifa (imo) - competition is always good!! Sounds like everyone whos bought it is loving it! :thumbsup:

Im gunna give it 1. Thats mainly because im a PES fanboy.

Mate your right, Next-gen? Iv'e seen better graphics on a Vic 20, Have you noticed the jaggles??? and it only runs at 719p IMO :mad:

Iv'e been ripped off, Sod the 360 and its sub standard games :devil:

It is a great game, a great improvement again on the last outing and far better than the demo.

Also has some superb features like the "Be a Pro" mode which are new and fresh and very well received.

The detail given to lower league teams is great too...get to play as QPR in all of the 1.5 star glory. The kit looks aweseme too, best in the game!

Great gameplay and online tourneys!

I actually think its the best footy game yet released and I have played every PES game and many FIFAs.

looking forward to the AVF tourneys....

ive gave it a 9 :thumbsup: the best football game ive played so far and ive tried all of them in the last couple of decades :D its been a very long time since i enjoyed a fifa game,they have allways been broken in one way or another :rolleyes: every year they add a gimmick to the game that offers nothing worth while to the game. this year they added the be a pro mode which if most ppl including me are honest will admit they thought this was going to be another rubbish gimmick that no one would bother with. im sooo glad thats not the case as its a awesome addition that works brilliantly and is loads of fun :smashin: online or offline this game will keep you playing for along time with more modes,stats,teams,players,than you could shake a hat at,a job very well done by EA this year (for a change :rotfl:) the only things that could of made it a 10 out 10 would of been -

- better player models ( only on close ups,replays etc)
- weather effects
- linesman and refs on screen (not just in cutscenes)
- thats it i think :confused:

I have gave it a 9 always in the past i have played PES and never played any of the FIFA games but thought this outing was worth a go PES i think has always been by far the better game BUT fifa 08 has got to be the best footy game i have played to date and beats PES in so many ways :thumbsup:

Im enjoying this game a lot. Its by far the best fifa i have ever played. It just feels so much better then previous versions, fluid to play and beautiful to look at. Ive bumped straight up to legendery after getting the match winning achievements on the other settings ..... i did manage to get the win a match on legendery but i was only playing Chester :rotfl:. All in all i love this game .... obviously cant compare it againts pes as its not out ..... however this time around i think Konami have a much harder fight on their hands than ever before. EA have really upped their game this time around. :thumbsup:

I gave this a 10. I wasn't even going to get it, but thanks to all the glowing reviews on here I took the plunge. The "be a pro" mode has IMO defined the direction that the footie game genre will progress in and it's only a matter of time before we're all mastering our role as a defender, midfielder, striker etc. as part of an online team. I've not given it a 10 because it's perfect as no game is, i've given it a 10 because I feel that it's possibly the most important development in football games since the likes of Match Day on the speccy (brought the side on view to the masses), Kick Off on the Amiga (matched a top down view with a game of huge depth and defined the top down view for many years) and ISSPE on the PS1 (took the side on football game to the next level, defining the football game for almost a decade). I feel that FIFA 2008 and in particular the "be a pro" mode will define football sims for perhaps the next decade :).

It's also an amazingly deep game with more leagues and competitions than you can chuck a stick at and the online game plays flawlessly, just like an offline game! Add in online tourneys which can be set up in game and interactive leagues then you have a football game that is pretty much second to none! :)

Been playing alot of this round my mates house and have to say it is very good.

If I wasn't in the AVF league I would consider canceling my Pro Evo preorder. :eek:

If I wasn't in the AVF league I would consider canceling my Pro Evo preorder. :eek:

I think that's the only thing that's stopped me from already picking up FIFA so far... City Centre is but a bus-ride away :D

I think that's the only thing that's stopped me from already picking up FIFA so far... City Centre is but a bus-ride away :D

Don't let it stop you picking FIFA up, I nearly made that mistake :eek:. I'm sticking with the PES Association, but just look at FIFA as just another great game (like say Halo 3 or Bioshock). :)

but just look at FIFA as just another great game (like say Halo 3 or Bioshock). :)

Somehow I think my other half will think differently! :D

The only problem with two footie games (much like trying to switch between two shooters) is mixing up the controls, which I do a lot. Clean through on goal in FIFA and I swear I'll end up crossing the ball ;)

Somehow I think my other half will think differently! :D

The only problem with two footie games (much like trying to switch between two shooters) is mixing up the controls, which I do a lot. Clean through on goal in FIFA and I swear I'll end up crossing the ball ;)

No problem at all, just switch the FIFA controls to PES controls like I do ;).

It's similar IMO to Halo 3 & Bioshock. Both FPS games, but they are quite different in their implementation and are both worthy of play. The same goes for FIFA and PES IMO.

No problem at all, just switch the FIFA controls to PES controls like I do ;).

It's similar IMO to Halo 3 & Bioshock. Both FPS games, but they are quite different in their implementation and are both worthy of play. The same goes for FIFA and PES IMO.

Excellent! With being able to switch to "PES" controls I think you've finally made my mind up. Being such staunch supporters of PES but so glowing about this version of FIFA, yourself and Durera have me well and truly convinced now :D

Excellent! With being able to switch to "PES" controls I think you've finally made my mind up. Being such staunch supporters of PES but so glowing about this version of FIFA, yourself and Durera have me well and truly convinced now :D

Yup, tis great. The only thing is your brain can still play tricks on you. In the heat of a goal mouth scramble your subconscious, trying to be useful, reminds you that this isn't PES and that the shoot and cross buttons are the other way around -- despite the fact that you've already changed to the "alternate" configuration.

And then the air turns blue.

Don't let it stop you picking FIFA up, I nearly made that mistake :eek:. I'm sticking with the PES Association, but just look at FIFA as just another great game (like say Halo 3 or Bioshock). :)

I know what you mean but with all the other great games coming out over the next few weeks I just can't see me being able to give enough time to two footy games.

I know they don't play the same but at the end of the day they are both football games.

Man I wish I was rich and jobless! :rotfl:

And then the air turns blue.

I find it does in my living room regardless, to be honest :D

What you've described does sound quite accurate though, easily confused I reckon...

I know what you mean but with all the other great games coming out over the next few weeks I just can't see me being able to give enough time to two footy games.

I know they don't play the same but at the end of the day they are both football games.

Man I wish I was rich and jobless! :rotfl:

Know exactly where you're coming from and did think the same until recently. I guess HL2, Bioshock & Halo 3 are all FPS titles though so it depends how you look at it I guess.

I do understand your point of view though and infact shared it myself :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom