fast foward

THE GFP

Ex Member
Reaction score
just upgraded from sky+ to sky+ HD

ive noticed that the fast foward is terrible, its jolty and if you press play at 30x then it skips another 1 min or so as over the last 3 years ive become a bit of an expert at pressing play just after the adverts end but now im terrible at it and i cant get it right

is it me, the box or what as FF is all wonky now

also while im moaning them cheeky morons at setanta are charging me £15 a month even though new customers gte it for £10 a month but i rang them and said that ive got hd and so the old box is in the bedroom and why cant i see their channels

they sid it will be another £5

i pointed out im already paying £5 more than newbies and would they not do something

she said no

thanks

ive noticed that the fast foward is terrible, its jolty and if you press play at 30x then it skips another 1 min or so as over the last 3 years ive become a bit of an expert at pressing play just after the adverts end but now im terrible at it and i cant get it right
When watching a recording and wanting to skip adverts press Backup at start of ads then enter number of minutes to restart recording by looking at the number of minutes watched and adding 3 or 4 minutes, then press select to restart at new time.

also while im moaning them cheeky morons at setanta are charging me £15 a month even though new customers gte it for £10 a month but i rang them and said that ive got hd and so the old box is in the bedroom and why cant i see their channels

they sid it will be another £5

i pointed out im already paying £5 more than newbies and would they not do something

she said no
I phoned them and said I wanted to cancel as I couldn't justify £15 and they offered 9.99.

john

Glad it's not only me! Thought I had lost my touch. Also, 30x does not seem as fast as with my old Sky+ either. Taken to using 12x for adverts now, seem to have more control at that speed.

Glad it's not only me! Thought I had lost my touch. Also, 30x does not seem as fast as with my old Sky+ either. Taken to using 12x for adverts now, seem to have more control at that speed.

GOOD IM NOT MAD AND YES 12X IS BETTER

as for stopping the playback and then entering or 4 mins ive not tried that but is it much quicker

just being speaking to barry and he pointed out that its a thompson box and as such probably ont work the same as the pce sky+ box

Mine was an Amstrad, but it was much better! The new box just doesn't flow through does it. As you said, very jerky. Ah well, the picture makes up for some of it though!

I find if I ff to x30 then press the ff button another 4or5 times quickly, then rw (twice i think) to bring it back to x6 and press play you get it spot on, with no jumping or lurching.
Go on Give it a try.

I find if I ff to x30 then press the ff button another 4or5 times quickly, then rw (twice i think) to bring it back to x6 and press play you get it spot on, with no jumping or lurching.
Go on Give it a try.

Don't think I coould be arsed! But thanks for the advice.

Ken

drive speed seams to play a part in this the 1tb hitachi i now have is better at x30 than the 750gb it replaced which in turn was far better than the awefull default 300gb drive

I don't have a problem with 30x, on SkyHD it actually goes at 30x whereas when I had Sky+ it wasn't 30x (4 mins of adverts in 8 seconds, took more like 20 seconds on Sky+)

There is something very weird about the fast forward. I find 30x normally only forwards at the same rate as 12x. Then, after a bit it goes forward several minutes at a time, then it goes back to the 12x sort of speed, stays at that for some time, then gives another burst of very fast forwards, etc etc.
Like the infamous dropped pixel on record issue, this seems a problem that needs a competent software engineer in place to sort out... It would appear that Sky, despite their resources, do not have access to one.

When watching a recording and wanting to skip adverts press Backup at start of ads then enter number of minutes to restart recording by looking at the number of minutes watched and adding 3 or 4 minutes, then press select to restart at new time.

Great tip, tried this tonight and works a treat. So much faster and easier than using the clunky FFWD :thumbsup:

30x is almost unusable for me (doesn't move, then skips a few minutes). Sky replaced the first box after a few weeks with one that is no better (they said at the time that there would only be a difference on HD channels). The guy who came out didn't mention that it was a known problem either.

I just phoned them tonight and they were not so forthcoming with sending an engineer out, acknowledging that there is an issue with the fast forward and basically that's how it is. (but they are working on it apparently)

I don't know about anyone else but I reckon the limited HD programming accounts for about 5% of my viewing - so I'm paying a whole lot extra for new technology that doesn't work as good as the old box did.

I'm very tempted to make them take the HD box back and have good old Sky+ until they have an HD box that works properly.

(Customer services did remind me that my 'cooling off period' had expired, so I reminded her about the Sale of Goods act!)

Perhaps if everyone phones up to have HD removed they might get their finger out - I recall a bit of 'people power' made Sky have a re-think when they wrecked all those upgraded Mk1 Sky+ boxes a while back (mine included)...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom