Samsung BD-UP5000 - Dual Format HD DVD / BluRay Player - £485

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says £799.99 now. :( For £600 i'd pick it up but thats to much for me.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers for the heads up :)

Have gone for this from Amazon, hope they come through

Seems to be a massive price difference at Dvdworldusa and amazon :eek:

Steve

£485.09 :eek: Who would have thought it would have arrived here so cheaply?

All credit to dazzM for discovering this and posting it in this thread...

...Amazon have the upcoming Samsung BD-UP5000 dual format HD DVD / BluRay player available for pre-order for a somewhat amazing £485 :eek: I'm not sure whether this is an error on Amazon's part or the actual price - but if the latter will spell an early end to the format war IMHO.

If these prices are going to be at all typical then it looks as if the long awaited High Definition price war has begun and it will be interesting to see what the prices of both players and disks will be as the Christmas season approaches.

I was going to buy a cheapish £199 Denon 1940 DVD player to replace my Pioneer DV-575A so as to have something to play with whilst I save for a Pioneer LX608D 60 “KURO Plasma TV, but ….

” Samsung BD-UP5000/XEU Dual Format BluRay & HD DVD Player at £ 485.09.

or Samsung BD-P1400/XEU BluRay DVD Player at £ 323.39 “

Delivered free by Amazon who aren’t usually all that cheap.

I shall wait and see what happens and for the reviews to start to appear for the new Samsungs.

Wasn’t the first generation Samsung Bluray launched at £1000 not so very long ago? That’s quite a price drop and a very rapid product evolution.

Hiya mate,

Great if it is true, but do you remember the fiasco with the HD-E1, HD-XE1 and Amazon late last year, early this?

All credit to dazzM for discovering this and posting it in this thread...

...Amazon have the upcoming Samsung BD-UP5000 dual format HD DVD / BluRay player available for pre-order for a somewhat amazing £485 :eek: I'm not sure whether this is an error on Amazon's part or the actual price - but if the latter will spell an early end to the format war IMHO.

Very nice indeedy
This could be a good year for HD take up
Whats the full specs. on this

RLT

Sounds interesting. £485 is a good price. I think with me not having the HD-E1 for that long it may be chaper now to wait for a Seperate Blu-Ray player that can do Java 2.0 or whatever it's called

It's not a bad price, if correct, compared to what was expected for this model - however IMHO it's still too expensive for mass market take up, and so calling it as meaning an early end to the "format war" is a bit optimistic unfortunately!
Still, it's a proper dual format player for under £500, so progress is being made!

Great if it is true, but do you remember the fiasco with the HD-E1, HD-XE1 and Amazon late last year, early this?
Indeed - the price does seem very good especially when compared to the US. However the other new Samsung models are also listed at cheaper prices as well so it might yet be true. I think Amazon honoured the 'reduced' price of XE1 pre-orders didn't they?

Whats the full specs. on this
Rauer posted a PDF file with the specs in this thread. And it actually looks a well specced model:

- High Def Output / DVD upscaling to 720p/1080i/1080p
- 1080p/24 output (for both HD DVD and BluRay)
- 5.1/7.1 analogue audio outputs
- Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD decoding
- DTS-HD Master Audio decoding (upgradeable feature via firmware)
- HDMI 1.3
- Component Video (and S-Video and Composite) video outputs
- Ethernet port
- Coaxial and optical digital audio outputs
- BD-ROM, BD-R, HD DVD, DVD-ROM, DVDR, DVD-RW, Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW compatibility
- Full iHD compatibility (for HD DVD)

So pretty impressive on paper then - of course we won't know how the unit performs until it arrives. But features wise it outclasses the Toshiba E1, PS3 and just about every other budget player. If the DTS-HD Master Audio upgrade really happens it will be one of the first players to support it.

The specs of the unit are impressive enough to really make me doubt the £485 price-tag. Surely such a unit would sell at double that price, especially following the Paramount/Dreamworks announcement?

For a dual format player with a HQV Reon processing engine, same as in the mega bucks denon players and amps its a bargain alright!

I'll buy that for a dollar ! :)

Very tempted at that price. What's the release date for this player?

It says on the amazon site

'Date first available at Amazon.co.uk: 20 Aug 2007'

The war is well and truely over - not sure who won but I do know is Samsung didnt want to hold out just producing a blu-ray player...

The real winner is the consumer now as we dont need to choose 'sides' just films as it should be. There will be some people on this forum who wont be happy with this solution but I for one am (I can now buy some disney(for my daughter) films in hidef without buying a white elephany player for £1000+!)

It says on the amazon site

'Date first available at Amazon.co.uk: 20 Aug 2007'

The war is well and truely over - not sure who won but I do know is Samsung didnt want to hold out just producing a blu-ray player...

The real winner is the consumer now as we dont need to choose 'sides' just films as it should be. There will be some people on this forum who wont be happy with this solution but I for one am (I can now buy some disney(for my daughter) films in hidef without buying a white elephany player for £1000+!)

I think that is the date the part was first created on Amazon i.e. available to order. Average shipping is quoted at 1-2 months.

AVI

The PS3 is currently £399 at Amazon, which makes it a very cheap BD player.

£485 means you get a very cheap BD player with a HD DVD player thrown in for £86.

:eek:

Steve W

ps. Should this be in the DVD Players (High Definition) forum, rather than the dedicated Blu-ray DVD forum?

Steve W

It's not a bad price, if correct, compared to what was expected for this model - however IMHO it's still too expensive for mass market take up, and so calling it as meaning an early end to the "format war" is a bit optimistic unfortunately!

You've confused two things here - 'mass market take up' and 'the "format war"'.

Mass market adoption will come when player prices are low enough.

But the format war is now at an end. Why? Because no-one will pay £400 for a BD-only player when you can get a BD and HD DVD player in one for £485. If this price is correct BD can no longer win.

What next? Well, there's little point Warner pressing two versions of a disc when they'll both play on the same players.

Now, look at what Paramount have said recently about how complex and time-consuming it is to write Java code for BD - not to mention expensive. When most players are dual-format, Warner will go HD DVD only. There is no incentive whatsoever for them to go BD, if they've already been prepared to release on HD DVD.

Now to Fox and Disney. They prefer BD because it's more secure. Fair enough, it'll be their choice. But when Warner, Universal & Paramount are selling HD DVDs for the same price as BDs, but paying less to create and press them, they'll be making more money from their HD DVDs.

Then Fox & Disney will have to do some sums. How much less are we losing to the pirates than these other HD DVD-only studios, and is the difference greater than they'll be losing by pressing the more expensive format?

Two things to remember here:

- Firstly, you'll still get HD pirate copies of BD discs. There are already ways of recording high def pictures through analogue component outputs. Sure, you don't get all the extras, but I'm not entirely convinced anyone checks for this when they hand over £5 for a bootleg to the man at the car boot sale. And if those boots are on HD DVD, you might end up with Disney HD DVDs outselling Disney BDs.

- Secondly, whilst only a fool would pay £399 for a BD-only player when you can go dual-fortmat for £86 more, you can't say the same about HD DVD. We'll be looking at £485 dual-format v £399 BD-only v £149 for HD DVD-only.

The result is that the format war may well be won way before the mass market arrives.

Steve W

There is a few holes in that.

Lots and lots of people will pay £1500 for a Pioneer BD only player over a Samsung Deal format player. Harden AV fans love spending the cash on this sort of stuff.

Also Warner going HD DVD only is speculation at this point.

BD can clearly still win- the race is just far closer now.

Anyway- this is off topic.

That is a great price for the player- if indeed its correct- and should sell really well.

Lots and lots of people will pay £1500 for a Pioneer BD only player over a Samsung Deal format player. Harden AV fans love spending the cash on this sort of stuff.

I agree with that, apart from the 'lots and lots' bit.

People prepared to spend that much are few and far between, and most of them already have a BD player.

Also, the real A/V nuts prepared to pay that much will not be bothered by the extra few hundred on a HD DVD player too.

Steve W

You've confused two things here - 'mass market take up' and 'the "format war"'.

Mass market adoption will come when player prices are low enough.

But the format war is now at an end. Why? Because no-one will pay £400 for a BD-only player when you can get a BD and HD DVD player in one for £485. If this price is correct BD can no longer win.

What next? Well, there's little point Warner pressing two versions of a disc when they'll both play on the same players.

Now, look at what Paramount have said recently about how complex and time-consuming it is to write Java code for BD - not to mention expensive. When most players are dual-format, Warner will go HD DVD only. There is no incentive whatsoever for them to go BD, if they've already been prepared to release on HD DVD.

Now to Fox and Disney. They prefer BD because it's more secure. Fair enough, it'll be their choice. But when Warner, Universal & Paramount are selling HD DVDs for the same price as BDs, but paying less to create and press them, they'll be making more money from their HD DVDs.

Then Fox & Disney will have to do some sums. How much less are we losing to the pirates than these other HD DVD-only studios, and is the difference greater than they'll be losing by pressing the more expensive format?

Two things to remember here:

- Firstly, you'll still get HD pirate copies of BD discs. There are already ways of recording high def pictures through analogue component outputs. Sure, you don't get all the extras, but I'm not entirely convinced anyone checks for this when they hand over £5 for a bootleg to the man at the car boot sale. And if those boots are on HD DVD, you might end up with Disney HD DVDs outselling Disney BDs.

- Secondly, whilst only a fool would pay £399 for a BD-only player when you can go dual-fortmat for £86 more, you can't say the same about HD DVD. We'll be looking at £485 dual-format v £399 BD-only v £149 for HD DVD-only.

The result is that the format war may well be won way before the mass market arrives.

Steve W

OK Steve :)

If this player has

1) Network Connectivity,
2) Second decoder for PiP,

Could it be firmware updated to BD 1.1 and even 2.0? I guess the only thing it may lack is the internal RAM?

Either way with the reon processor, at a little over £50 more than the XE1, it seems like a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom