Star Wars Trilogy

winstano

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not strictly a Blu-Ray thread, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it...

I know that George Lucas has said he wants to put this out on BD (possibly exclusively I think I read somewhere?), but has anyone watched the DVDs upscaled on the PS3?!

Amazing. I'm about half an hour into Empire at the moment, and the quality of it is just superb. Hardly any grain on the picture, vibrant colours, deep blacks, crisp whites... It looks brilliant.

Having said that, I'll still probably buy the 6 disc Blu-Ray boxset when it comes out... There was talk of it this year to coincide with the 30th anniversary, but I dunno if that'll happen or not.

...I know that George Lucas has said he wants to put this out on BD (possibly exclusively I think I read somewhere?), but has anyone watched the DVDs upscaled on the PS3?!

Actually the stance is at the moment, that if the format war is not decided shortly, Lucas will not release on either, and just offer the films via HD downloads.

Hope he strikes a deal with Sony and gets em on the PS store :p

Actually the stance is at the moment, that if the format war is not decided shortly, Lucas will not release on either, and just offer the films via HD downloads.

I can see that selling well :rolleyes:

I put Revenge Of The Sith on yesterday as I remember excitedly putting it on when I got my 42" LCD only to be disappointed at how bad the CGI looked.

Upscaled through the PS3 though its stunning - gonna have to get the remote now!!!

I put Revenge Of The Sith on yesterday as I remember excitedly putting it on when I got my 42" LCD only to be disappointed at how bad the CGI looked.

Upscaled through the PS3 though its stunning - gonna have to get the remote now!!!

What was you running it on before? Since before I got my PS3, Revenge of the Sith has ALWAYS looked nothing short of spectacular. On the PS3, it gets even better!

George Lucas is such a tight ass , it took years for the Star Wars Trilogy to hit dvd , i think we have a long wait for blu ray box-set :mad:

You cant blame him, why would anyone want to tag what most people class as a classic trilogy onto a format that isnt confirmed as a winner yet?

I know if it was me id wait to see if HD DVD or BR comes out top then pick that one. Why waste millions of dollars transferring films to a format that might go the way of Betamax and Minidisk for example.

Ah but in those days you didn't have any other choice for pre-recorded material. I would have thought that DVD will remain their most profitable format and that their industry doesn't really depend on HD material (in some "models" cases they definately don't need HD - allegedly).

The majority of Pr0n purchasers value their privacy so perhaps downloads will prevail?

As for star wars I would welcome the Original trilogy on BD as long as Mr Lucas gives us the option to see it without the 90's "updates", or at least a multi-angle where Han shoots first ;)

before they appear on a HD format no doubt Pork Lucas will be poking his fat fingers around the editing suite changing some bits, and adding others, editing this and that, the add some continuity errors for good measure. Then they will get released at the cinema, then on some HD format - with some extra edits for goods measure.

Then I will buy them (again) :mad:

You cant blame him, why would anyone want to tag what most people class as a classic trilogy onto a format that isnt confirmed as a winner yet?

I know if it was me id wait to see if HD DVD or BR comes out top then pick that one. Why waste millions of dollars transferring films to a format that might go the way of Betamax and Minidisk for example.

If i remember (Maybe incorrectly) wasn't the 1st trilogy was released on laser disc as soon after it came out.

Andy

before they appear on a HD format no doubt Pork Lucas will be poking his fat fingers around the editing suite changing some bits, and adding others, editing this and that, the add some continuity errors for good measure. Then they will get released at the cinema, then on some HD format - with some extra edits for goods measure.

Then I will buy them (again) :mad:

It's the fault of people like. Firstly for being Stars Wars fans. :suicide:
Secondly for buying the re-hashes when they add nothing to the original. Why spoil a good thong?

If i remember (Maybe incorrectly) wasn't the 1st trilogy was released on laser disc as soon after it came out.

Andy

It was. My best friend stil has them along with his Pioneer laser disc player. The laser disc versions are the original movies with the additional enhancements that were added later.

Andy

You are correct sir.... There's a copy of the trilogy on laserdisc sat in my local memorabilia shop for a princely £100

Moving to the HD movies forum.:thumbsup:

It's the fault of people like. Firstly for being Stars Wars fans. :suicide:
Secondly for buying the re-hashes when they add nothing to the original. Why spoil a good thong?

Didn't GL say once that the original versions would never be released on DVD as they didn't actually exist anymore or something, so the altered versions would be the only ones available?

Most people (me included that the altered versions were better than nothing) but then surprise, surprise, the originals turned up :)

Most people (me included that the altered versions were better than nothing) but then surprise, surprise, the originals turned up :)
Judging by the quality of the print I'm guessing Lucas found them out of tins and gathering dust on the floor of his stables. All people want are nice clean prints of the original movies but Lucas clearly hates the Star Wars fans. Why doesn't he just get off his rump and go film something else instead of tweaking the original trilogy all the time?

George, you're not the Mesiah you're a very naughty boy.

Didn't GL say once that the original versions would never be released on DVD as they didn't actually exist anymore or something, so the altered versions would be the only ones available?

What happened was that he released the LaserDiscs just before he re-doctored them, and said the LDs were the last time the original, unaltered versions would come out on home video.

He then created the new versions and claimed he'd damaged the original negatives beyond repair when re-touching them.

The DVD releases of the original, unaltered versions are non-anamorphic prints used for the LaserDisc releases.

Despite GL's protestations, a few film fan/restorers have said they have immaculate prints which, whilst not being quite up to the standard of the original negatives, would certainly be very close, and far better than the non-anamorphic LD versions.

Steve W

I know for sure i would buy a HD set of the Star wars films, i still have my VHS copy of the Special Edition's gathering dust from 1997. Then i bought the DVD relaese so its only right that i buy the HD version LOL!!!!!!

I thought that George wanted to release them in 3D im sure i remember hearing that somewhere.

I thought that George wanted to release them in 3D im sure i remember hearing that somewhere.

No doubt he will, nowt like flogging the franchise further and further until it is totally unrecognisable from the original - I think that is fat Georges master plan - keep him in stock of burgers.

It was. My best friend stil has them along with his Pioneer laser disc player. The laser disc versions are the original movies with the additional enhancements that were added later.

I have DVD transfers of the original Laser Discs - they have the extras from the Lasedisc versions...the original cinema trailer for Star Wars from 1976 is a real eye-opener, the quality is so bad, the cheesy voice-over, the terrible picture......LOL!

Star Wars in 3D would be awsome though - just imagine the scenes in a new hope when Luke is going to the death star in his x-wing:):)

I dont care what format it comes out on - I will buy it to play on my 100ft screen and 10.2 sound system (after all it wont be released until 2010 or later-along with Indy quad) and these will be small setups by that time :)

Yeah I read that too. I remember wondering how you turn a 2D film into 3d. A joke maybe?

By the way I still have the original 4/3 UK laserdiscs of the first 3 films.

Cheers
Bri

Yeah I read that too. I remember wondering how you turn a 2D film into 3d. A joke maybe?
Not a joke at all. Once movies are transfered into the digital domain it is possible to manipulate the image to obtain 3D. There have been several releases that have employed this technology over the past couple of years.

Screenings of top movies in Imax screens such as the current Harry Potter and Superman Returns have been in 3D.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom