Extending cable lead

RAINS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of redecorating and as the wife now want to move the TV to the other side of the room the exisiting cable lead is not long enough.

Can anyone advise what type of cable and connections are needed to create a longer lead? Or can i buy one off the shelf from the likes of Maplins etc?

Many thanks in advance.:smashin:

I'd like to know if this is possible too as we're in the middle of a re-vamp and now we have a 40" LCD I want to place the tv in our bay window.

Coincidentally I am having the V+ box fitted next week, I may just ask the cable guy to sort it out for me.

to move the box you will need cable like this-

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm

i just did a quick search so can get cheaper or longer lengths if needed. you will need to make sure you get the Threaded "F" barrel (female-female) to join cables. hope this helps.

slinger, just tell the virgin guy to do it as they have cable on hand and have to install it where you want it.

CT100 should be Ideal, as far as i know that is higher quality than what virgin media use, as CT100 is copper on copper shielding. Sky use H109 which is very similar.

also you will require F connectors, and a coupler

Or can i buy one off the shelf from the likes of Maplins etc?

If there is a Maplin near you, they do a 5m one - although you can get longer ones from any number of online stores, as Owen824 suggested :)

just moved my box used this cable works great.

Commtel 10m Satellite Extension Lead White.

£ 5.99

Connect and extend your satellite coaxial cable up to 10 metres.
Complete with F-type coupler.

link to cable

Code:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5342622.htm

I used some copper screened and shielded foam-filled WF-100 for a 15m extension - but I don't think it is low-enough loss as the colour drops out on many of the channels .

Does any one know of anything better (i.e. lower-loss) that will take F-connectors?
(I have thought about CT125, but the attenuation figures are'nt much better than good quality WF-100).

Note: the splitter provided with the V-box installation kit and the isolator in the wall-outlet don't help either as they add a total of about 4-5dB attenuation on their own (judging by the figures printed on them) - and then there is the 3.7dB added by the splitter in the junction box outside!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom